interesting movies?
Mar 5, 2006 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
Last night I watched Donnie Darko for the first time, something I had been putting off for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I find that I almost never want to see movies at the theater, and I only accompany my girlfriend to one if there is nothing else to do. This is because there is really such utter junk in the theaters these days and nothing interesting to watch. Last week we saw Underworld Evolution which was mediocre at best. Can anyone recommend some good interesting thinker movies that aren't junk food for the brain? I've had enough of the mass marketed horror flicks, comedies involving Will Ferrel and his rat pack(as my gf affectionately calls them), etc. I am going to rent Clockwork Orange tonight, which is also a movie I have been putting off for too long. Anything else I should pick up?

ps-I watched Lord of War last week as well and it is a great movie, I would definately recommend it!

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 52
guy ritchie's "revolver" wasn't too bad. Got panned by critics, can be really confusing, but overall good IMO. The korean film "old boy" is also pretty okay.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 52
Dog Day Afternoon is an odd, diffuse movie that features some good performances. I have a particular fetish for movies set in New York City that were shot in the seventies. That sort of strained, gritty, greasy look to films like French Connection, Taxi Driver, Dog Day Afternoon, etc. have a strong appeal. The sex change twist to the story near the end is off-putting to me, but in general the picture works. It's one of Al Pacino's better performances, and interesting to see a young Chris Sarandon in a key role.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Last night I watched Donnie Darko for the first time, something I had been putting off for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Funny, I hated that movie with a passion, even though I'm a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy.

Quote:

I find that I almost never want to see movies at the theater, and I only accompany my girlfriend to one if there is nothing else to do. This is because there is really such utter junk in the theaters these days and nothing interesting to watch. Last week we saw Underworld Evolution which was mediocre at best. Can anyone recommend some good interesting thinker movies that aren't junk food for the brain?

Here are a few of my favorites:

* Jacob's Ladder (1990) -- very depressing and disturbing, so be prepared...

* Dark City (1998)

* The Thing (1982) -- yep, really!

* Gattaca

* Altered States (1980)

* The Right Stuff (1983)

Enjoy...

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Last night I watched Donnie Darko for the first time, something I had been putting off for years, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I find that I almost never want to see movies at the theater, and I only accompany my girlfriend to one if there is nothing else to do. This is because there is really such utter junk in the theaters these days and nothing interesting to watch. Last week we saw Underworld Evolution which was mediocre at best. Can anyone recommend some good interesting thinker movies that aren't junk food for the brain? I've had enough of the mass marketed horror flicks, comedies involving Will Ferrel and his rat pack(as my gf affectionately calls them), etc. I am going to rent Clockwork Orange tonight, which is also a movie I have been putting off for too long. Anything else I should pick up?

ps-I watched Lord of War last week as well and it is a great movie, I would definately recommend it!

Looks like you are where I was a few years back. Then I went to a nearby independant theater, and watched The Good Thief and Bowling for Columbine. That was a turning point, since then I've discovered the joys of independant and smaller films. I too only go to the movies to socialize (with the occasional exception).

I'd second City of God, excellent movie. Some others I like (all on video):

The Barbarian Invasions
Capote (on video already?)
Cinema Paradiso
In America

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is also a great fun movie to watch. So random, so funny. Dunno if it's what you are looking for though.

I thought that was by far the weakest of Andersons movies. Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are just so far above it. I recommend all of these, starting with Rushmore.

Your first next rental should be The Red Violin. An amazing movie.

Also see Run Lola Run, Requiem for a Dream and Amelie.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 52
Check out "Brazil" by Terry Gilliam. It will mess you up.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
I thought that was by far the weakest of Andersons movies. Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are just so far above it. I recommend all of these, starting with Rushmore.

Your first next rental should be The Red Violin. An amazing movie.

Also see Run Lola Run, Requiem for a Dream and Amelie.

Red Violin was good, but it wasn't great as I had hoped (my aunt loved it as much as you though).

Rushmore was decent.

Run Lola Run was good for the first 20-30 minutes, but didn't hold my interest at those levels for the rest of the film.

I really liked Amelie a lot.

Everything that you mentioned is certainly worth a rental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back