interesting movies?
Mar 5, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #31 of 52
You guys should also check out "The Chumscrubber" It has some really good performances from Glenn Close, Rita Wilson, William Fichtner, Ralph Fiennes (although I don't like him that much), and some very talented young actors, especially the lead actor, Jamie Bell, who also plays a very strong role in "Undertow", a film by David Gordon Green (whose other film, "George Washington" is on the Criterion Collection).

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Clockwork Orange is one of the best movies ever, period. Let us know what you think of it, people almost indefintely seem to love it or hate it.

Ahhh I've always wanted to see that movie since I read the book. How does it compare to the novel?
Oh just to add in Jacob's Ladder was also pretty awesome too, it's kinda scary.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #33 of 52
Good Will Hunting and Gattaca already metioned. I also recommend The Boondock Saints. I thought it was thought provoking, but its a lot more about action and killing people on the surface.

Also I just saw a movie called Cube and its sequal, HyperCube. The third is Cube Zero. Yeah they were weird sci-fi type movies. Bad acting. Idk why I am recommending them, I guess I just thought they were sort of cool.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #34 of 52
SAGOCUP

Clockwork Orange is surprisingly faithful to Burgess's novel. However, the use of the "Nadsat" language isn't too overdone in the film. McDowell's Welch accent is elegantly wicked too---I love it! I think that the film is much easier to get through than the novel.

The film is surprisingly violent which is no surprise given the novel's fixation with ultra-violence and behavior reconditioning. It also provides one of the best commentaries on film concerning imprisonment and its neglect/suppresion of the self.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #35 of 52
City of God blew me away when I saw it. Great filming techniqe that you don't get in hollywood along with great everything else if you can stomach violence. Think I had the pleasure of watching that one in the port of Leith.

Which reminds me check out Trainspotting if you haven't had the pleasure.

Also I forgot Dr. Strangelove. One of my all-time faves. And if I think I forgot to second/third Requiem for a Dream. Oh, Oh, and Blood Simple, the first Cohen Bros flick.

City of God
Trainspotting
Dr. Strangelove
Requiem for a Dream
Blood Simple

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

SAGOCUP

Clockwork Orange is surprisingly faithful to Burgess's novel. However, the use of the "Nadsat" language isn't too overdone in the film. McDowell's Welch accent is elegantly wicked too---I love it! I think that the film is much easier to get through than the novel.

The film is surprisingly violent which is no surprise given the novel's fixation with ultra-violence and behavior reconditioning. It also provides one of the best commentaries on film concerning imprisonment and its neglect/suppresion of the self.

Oh wow, I'll pick this up soon enough! I almost started to think in nadsat after reading the book. :p

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #37 of 52
Enduring Love
Trainspotting
Morvern Callar
Layer Cake
Dog Soldiers
Hero
Veronica Guerin
Once Upon A Time In The Midlands
Dirty Pretty Things
Intermission
Finding Neverland
What The $#@! Do We Know
Young Adam
Luther
Big Fish
About Schmidt
Swimming Pool
Shallow Grave
Elling
28 Days Later
Sexy Beast
The Grey Zone
A Midnight Clear
The Dinner Game
Fight Club
Snatch

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Requiem for a Dream - Drugs are bad mmmmmkay?

that move i have a good point, but horrible/painful to watch.

about schmidt - i just saw this movie the other day, its one of the best movie i see. i know it takes idea from an actaul book, but not like the book. its about a somewhat sucessful businessman, (Jack Nicholason) who grew old and retired and found out how disconnected he is with life and spent his last few years trying to relive it. its a very difficult to watch and also very depressing. if you arent patient the movie will grow dull on you.

syriana - 'nuff said, go see it now.

full metal jacket - great war movie, i'm sure its pretty popular. and some of the most unforgettable quotes by sgt. hartman not to be miss.

waking life - i like this movie very much, its a movie about lucid dream or dreams. it introduce a lot of different theories. i dont agree with all of them, but they get you thinking.

any federico fellini movies.

i have to disagree about the movie Hero, it is a good adaption of east movie for western big screen, but i think they spent $33million on that movie just for all the cool effect and stuff.

Quote:

*The Matrix's

lol. i only recommend the first one. the 2nd and 3rd was overproduced.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #44 of 52
i'm also going to have to say "Once Upon A Time In America."
its a good story too, but the part that makes you really thnk is was all that happens after all of Noodle friend died, was really just a dream that Noodle imagined or did it actaully happen. There are a lot of clues in the movie but some of them conflicts. The most important one is when he grin in the end after smoking some drugs, which support it would be just a dream he imagine to compensate what he regretted. I still cant figure it out for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back