Interesting message from Neil Young re) 2012 and the music industry!
May 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
May 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 13
Think most music is recorded in 88.2 KHz in studios nowadays as it is the multiple of 44.1... so could be that.

P.S. Love the quote in your sig, OP.

May 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 13
A waste unless the Loudness War stops. Who wants a high resolution version of something that has no dynamics?

In any case, it is a good way for Neil Young to up sales of his back catalogue.

May 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 13
In my estimation, the loudness war has pretty much ended when it comes to pretty much all of the hi-rez files that I've got.  Since it's not GENERALLY a mass-market thing to begin with, I don't see it as an issue.

Besides, the whole "loudness war" thing has its genesis in a dying medium called "radio".  :D

May 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 13
I agree specifically to Neil Young and his recordings, I love the likes of Ragged Glory and that one take playing live together in a barn sound, the loudness war is not an issue.

I am dubious of the whole remastering, re-issuing industry.

May 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 13
I understand why, as the "modern" remasters are so frequently brick walled as to at times be unlistenable.  I'm just saying that thus far I'm not finding this to be an issue with the hi-rez files that I've acquired (on physical media or otherwise).

BTW - I have a 24/192K DVD-A of Neil Young's "Harvest" that is out of this world.  Ditto any of his live recordings released on DVD-A at 24/96K (e.g. Live at Massey Hall).

May 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 13
I hope NY's right, but I think he's underestimating the mainstream music industry's outstanding ability to mess things up.

In order for the future format to include all the albums that I'm interested in, I assume that the format has to be mainstream. I don't want to be in the position where 10% of my albums sound so wonderful that I'm no longer able to stand the other 90%.  

May 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I hope NY's right, but I think he's underestimating the mainstream music industry's outstanding ability to mess things up.

In order for the future format to include all the albums that I'm interested in, I assume that the format has to be mainstream. I don't want to be in the position where 10% of my albums sound so wonderful that I'm no longer able to stand the other 90%.  

Same here, but depending on the original recording I worry that all we are buying is polished turds.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 13
Thread bump: Looks like the big music companies are going to re-release their back catalogues in hi rez format starting 2012. And that there'll be "Cloud" options, so that you don't permanently download the files. Got this from browsing an article at the newsagents, so sorry for the lack of detail.

I don't really want to keep buying the same album in yet another format, but if they sort out the loudness wars on these hi-rez versions, then it would be tempting.

Aug 7, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the bump - good read.

You're right, they aren't going to give us a new format and make us buy new physical media. I think they're angling to kill phsical media.

That way we can be put on monthly subscription services with perpetually escalating prices and never own a physical copy again.

Which is why I'm fleshing out my collection of physical media. Heck, I'm 39 and ossifying. I hate most new popular music. I can get everything I love and plenty more from favorite genres on silver and black discs.

I am not going to pay for a monthly subscription to music.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 13
The article mentioned that Apple will be starting iCloud for their iTunes audience, with Apple lossless files. And Spotify going for FLAC files in non-cloud style.

What I didn't catch, was how this is all going to fit together. But sounds like there will be buy or rent, standard or hi rez, Apple Lossless, Flac, or lossy, all at different price points.
And the companies trying hard to find all sorts of ways of getting money out of  youngsters  who are used to getting music for free.

Also sounds like another nail in CD's coffin. But maybe one day that will get a vinyl-like nostalgic revival?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back