Interesting machine from Luxury n Precision
Apr 25, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #51 of 3,957
Ok, (per google translate) so after feedback they added bluetooth (aptx?) and moved buttons from front to sides (as @audionewbi prev hinted).

Are they still using resistor ladders for conversion or did they switch to pcm1704k chips; hard to tell in the translation? Perhaps the english version of the page would clarify. Anyone have a link to a cached version of it?

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #52 of 3,957
Ok, (per google translate) so after feedback they added bluetooth (aptx?) and moved buttons from front to sides (as @audionewbi prev hinted).

Are they still using resistor ladders for conversion or did they switch to pcm1704k chips; hard to tell in the translation? Perhaps the english version of the page would clarify. Anyone have a link to a cached version of it?
They are using resistor ladder that claims a performance equaling 8 pcm1704. I got overly excited initially but learned they it is comparing it's performance to it.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #53 of 3,957

006lQCbXgy1ge1bz1j04gj312w0obtsg.jpg

Looks like they've dispensed with the discrete resistor ladder altogether. I don't read Chinese, but this appears to show the products evolution from using 2 x PCM1704 (s:n = 118dB), through 4 x PCM1704 (s:n = 120dB), to the "production" model with 8 x PCM1704 and s:n = 123dB.
L&P do some interesting things with their designs; I like the look of this, but I wonder just how much crap will accumulate in that gap down the side.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #54 of 3,957
006lQCbXgy1ge1bz1j04gj312w0obtsg.jpg
Looks like they've dispensed with the discrete resistor ladder altogether. I don't read Chinese, but this appears to show the products evolution from using 2 x PCM1704 (s:n = 118dB), through 4 x PCM1704 (s:n = 120dB), to the "production" model with 8 x PCM1704 and s:n = 123dB.
L&P do some interesting things with their designs; I like the look of this, but I wonder just how much crap will accumulate in that gap down the side.
Posted too early!
Observations about the design still stand though.

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #55 of 3,957
Guys they still using discrete R-2R design, it is just they are claiming a improved performance that equates 8 times PCM1704. It is still impressive as it is the first DAP to use resistor ladder dac, but Hifiman still the only dac with that legendary chip.

But P6 sure looks great, if the final product anywhere near the rendering, it will be one hell of a good looking dap. LP knows how to tune, so no doubt P6 will sound great.

Apr 25, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #59 of 3,957
Guys they still using discrete R-2R design, it is just they are claiming a improved performance that equates 8 times PCM1704. It is still impressive as it is the first DAP to use resistor ladder dac, but Hifiman still the only dac with that legendary chip.

But P6 sure looks great, if the final product anywhere near the rendering, it will be one hell of a good looking dap. LP knows how to tune, so no doubt P6 will sound great.

I get it. For a moment was thinking how will L&P source 8 chips per player when other manufacturers 'claim' 1704 chips aren't available?

Glad the original discrete design is still intact though I wonder why they removed the rear window showing the ladder circuitry.

Other than pricetag (around $3K was rumored iirc), only concern is the battery. I have 2 desktop ladder DACs and leave them on 24/7 since they need hours to warm-up and sound their best. Curious how will L&P handle that with the P6?

FYI, the bluetooth is not for headphones but for streaming...

No surprise there. Seems every portable (designed by committee) has to have bluetooth nowadays. Bluetooth out wouldn't make any sense as that would bypass the resistor ladders but streaming into the player does add some convenience assuming the data transfer isn't lossy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back