Interesting little DAC (optical/coax input)
Jul 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 43
Wow! What a deal! I am tempted to get one to do some listening comparisons between my Maverick D1 and the new DAC Wow I just got last week.
The DAC Wow is 4 times that price and the D1 is 3 times the price (althought the D1 is very versitle).
I am going to think about it though as it would be fun to have all three and just A/B/C between them since I am going to write a review on the new DAC Wow anyway.
Thanks for the lead on that DAC and your intital listening impressions. Hard to believe you can get a case, and some nice components for that price...What a deal!!!

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #17 of 43

Quote:
Okay, I'll do Part3.

I can offer up my impressions of the DAC Wow for your Part 3 you are doing. No problemo if you don't want it though, just offering to help a bit.

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 43

Quote:
Go figure, no RMAA results again...

I don't have wine setup to run rmaa, Then i'd need to run too many iterations to be able to compare the dac to something, since none of my old rmaa would compare to anything i'd measure right now. It's a do it roght or don't do it at all.

What matters is how it sounds in the end on my HFI-780 or HD595. Considering i intentionally introduce imprefections with a tube in the signal path, i don't see what RMAA graphs would really show. IT was fun for me to compare tubes, and see how graphs compared to sound.
Unless i own something someone else owns too, showing a RMAA graph of the DAC would be pretty meaningless. Then again, you already knew that.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #19 of 43
What does tube have to do with anything? Any sound card's line in will work unless you meant that you modded the dac to have a tube in it.

You don't need to compare to anything either.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 43

Quote:
He's using wine in linux. He couldn't give accurate results if he wanted.

That's debatable, wine in linux or straight in windows. :)

Nothing means anything to either of you if you have no baseline to compare it to is what i am saying.
Easier to compare changes within one system (changing tubes to compare for me as example (is how tubes came up in my train of thought)) than to compare two systems without a common denominator.
If you and i see changes, what is it? my opamp in the dac? my spdif giving it a better/worse signal? better/worse ADC? one of us not watching their input levels?
To give it meaning, one setup would have to be used to compare all the dacs. give it a baseline and compare the various dacs substituted for the baseline to try to draw conclusions from the results. anything else is meaningless.

Ok, so the reply didn't really end up being for aynjell in most part. :p

rmaa aside, let me know how you LIKE what you HEAR, your current setup is your baseline, and only changing the dac will let you allow to say yay or nay to it. :wink:

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 43

Quote:
Any news? I'm really interested but I would like to hear more opinions. 

I don't have my DAC yet. Having dealt with this person, I would say do not order from him. He is slow to respond, if you ask a question he never answers it fully, and seems to barely understand english. I didn't have these problems dealing with little dot. But oh well, mine is in elk grove illinois.

I had to threaten him with bad feedback to get a damned tracking number. Apparently he was just too busy to get me my tracking number because of all the work he had to do, which apparently did not include providing relevant information to already paying customers. He's getting bad feedback regardless...

But we'll see, if it comes and it works I'll at least be happy with that.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #25 of 43

Quote:
Nice, cheap DAC... But how it works in comparison with Super Pro DAC707?

I don't know how either sound, but I know at first glance and assuming similar reviews I'd get the SD-793 first simply because of the way it's setup. The SD-793 is setup with all IC's in the bag. That's reason enough to buy for me. Oh, and interchange-able dual op amps. For a little dot I+ owner who has a stash of op amps and tubes, it's the perfect fit. I'm looking forward to trying an OPA2107 or LM4562 in it. =)

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 43
Do you need to solder the Opamps in this DAC or they can be changed? I'm still not clear on this, because I have some LM4562 lying around.

I'm mostly interested in sound quality though, for example how much of a difference would it have with a Creative X-Fi card.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #30 of 43
I ordered 4 LME49720's. I like to order more than one just because if I like it it may end up elsewhere plus I have friends that might need 'em. Plus the deals are usually right. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back