interesting discovery on AD2000 regarding fit issues
Nov 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Rednamalas1

Headphoneus Supremus
So I recieved Donunus' old pair of AD2K (bought from strangelove) today.

Donunus complained about AD2K's honky midrange as well as unnatural presentation before. I have not experienced this previousely, so I began to investigate. When I got his old pair of AD2Ks and tried them, I noticed far more clamping of the headband compared to my old pair (which I bought used as well) and I did notice little unnatural presentation of the mids as well as small difference in discomfort.

And overnight, I stretched the headband similar to my other pair of AD2K, and voila! that weird presentation was gone! Just smooth, natural presentation as same as my old pair.

Right now, both pairs rest on my head rather easily with very little clamp.

I hope this tip helps (for those people complaining about weird midrange on AD2K). I was not aware of this because my used pair (No, 1) was already stretched a bit - he had bigger (!!!) head than mine.
wink.gif

as soon as I get my new office, one of the pair will serve as a work rig, while one stays home.

thanks for donunus for input
wink.gif

cheers
-K

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 31
I read that the material the metal band part is made of bends in cold temperatures. Someone on the Japanese AT thread on 2ch said to cool it and then bend it ridiculous amounts for less head pressure.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 31
And Andrew_Wot always disagreed with my weird mids comments on them.
biggrin.gif
There, after all the ad2k mystery solved by rednamalas1!
I was just too afraid to do more stretching than I already did to get to the awesome mids everyone keeps describing. Hope Strangelove took care of them Rednamalas1. Enjoy

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ as soon I grab a Zana Deux, I know my DAC setup is going to the office
wink.gif

It's a match made in heaven. I also bought mine used and stretched the headband and added some 1/2" foam strips behind the earpads to get the drivers off of my ears. I listen to them almost exclusively (for about a year now) through my ZD. Try the National Union VT229/6sl7gt if you get a Zana. That tube really likes the AD2000.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 31
I bent the metal part to make them more comfortable, and it worked very well. I still use the pad mod, but they sound better than ever.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that the material the metal band part is made of bends in cold temperatures. Someone on the Japanese AT thread on 2ch said to cool it and then bend it ridiculous amounts for less head pressure.

Wow, that actually works, surprisingly as metal supposed to get more brittle as temperature drops. I stuck headband into ice tray for 10 minutes and after that it was ridiculously easy to stretch it to a needed gap between cups without any risk of breaking pivots or rods.
Thanks for the tip.
atsmile.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 31
O man this is crazy. I'm going to do the same with my AD700. I need to mush them together slightly. Lets see if something so illogical actually works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back