Interesting discovery about the SA5k's...
Jul 13, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 29
Glad to see someone is back in action! Lookin' forward to seeing those pics Zemo
600smile.gif

Are you still using your PC and Ah! Njoe as your sources, or have you migrated to something else?

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
It's not like sony claimed there was a difference, or that its the same cable as their streetstyle crap. Sennheiser did the same thing with the HD650 cable... Its exactly the same as the HD600/580 cable with thicker insulation.

jesse

I just see too many shortcuts taken by Sony in there product line. I don’t really have anything against their high-end headphones. They get good reviews and I have not heard them so I can not comment on sound quality. I just don’t like Sony, that is all.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
It's not like sony claimed there was a difference, or that its the same cable as their streetstyle crap. Sennheiser did the same thing with the HD650 cable... Its exactly the same as the HD600/580 cable with thicker insulation.

jesse

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a whole new cable, with new connectors and 1/4th plug
confused.gif

[size=xx-small]^Regarding the Sennheiser cable[/size]

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
Not quite sure what you're requesting.....care to clarify?

As far as the wire I'm using, it's a hand braided concoction of my own...I was able to pick up some very high end wire in bulk some time ago, and it tests VERY well.

Time's short, I'll write more later!

Is your "high end" silver-plated OFC stranded OFC copper (in teflon) much different from ubiquitous "mil-spec" or "aerospace" wire? What awg wire are you using? Are you using 4 wire braid to each side (L or R)??

I have been pleasantly surprised recently with this type of wire to recable headphones, as I've recabled 2 K340's recently with this type of wire with results exceeding my expectations.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 29
Hi peeps, I'm a new user on head-fi but have been on the headphone scene for awhile now. My main phones are the SA5k, which unfortunatly broke about 1 month after I bought them. The right driver just stopped working completely. I opened them up hoping I had pulled a cable, but everything inside was perfectly fine. Opened up the "Y" split part so see if all the soldering was still holding, and it was (although it was so poorly done its surprising it lasted over a week). I bought a new pair (because yes, these are awesome phones for sure) but I lost 350 bucks in the process... Damn Sony
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Hi peeps, I'm a new user on head-fi but have been on the headphone scene for awhile now. My main phones are the SA5k, which unfortunatly broke about 1 month after I bought them. The right driver just stopped working completely. I opened them up hoping I had pulled a cable, but everything inside was perfectly fine. Opened up the "Y" split part so see if all the soldering was still holding, and it was (although it was so poorly done its surprising it lasted over a week). I bought a new pair (because yes, these are awesome phones for sure) but I lost 350 bucks in the process... Damn Sony
wink.gif

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE OLD ONE!?!?!?

Please tell me you do! I could use the headband! my headband broke!!
eek.gif

gs

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #22 of 29
Yes, I have the old one. If you wait until I receive the new one (which should be sometime this week) I can send you the headband if youre willing to pay for shipping from France. It'll probably be around 10USD or so. I was thinking of keeping it for spare parts but I guess if it can help you out you'll certainly put it to better use than I will. I will PM you once I receive the new pair and we'll work this out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
Yes, I have the old one. If you wait until I receive the new one (which should be sometime this week) I can send you the headband if youre willing to pay for shipping from France. It'll probably be around 10USD or so. I was thinking of keeping it for spare parts but I guess if it can help you out you'll certainly put it to better use than I will. I will PM you once I receive the new pair and we'll work this out
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a ton! Let me know when you receive the new SA5000. YGPM
cool.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Thanks a ton! Let me know when you receive the new SA5000. YGPM
cool.gif

Score, dude! The rescue mission continues(hopefully)
smily_headphones1.gif

5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #26 of 29
Im happy for GS... good find!!
biggrin.gif

*APPLAUSE*!

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 29
Good luck Guru.. hopefully you can restore them purdy SA5000's to it's original pristine condition. And mod the cables while you're at it, :p.

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #28 of 29
...And perhaps do a woodied internals mod(instead of changing the outer frame, change the inner plastic where the driver mounts and its surrounding plastic that the earpads attach to, etc. to wood).
It'd be the first woody related SA mod I've seen...
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I need you to dismantle the headphone until you have only the headband in your hands. Now - bend a piece of hard paper (art paper or slide paper) and bend it to follow the curve of the headband. Trace the outline of the headband on the paper and then release the paper so that it is flat again.

This will give me the actual trrace of the headband and not just the projection.

Alternatively - place the paper flat and place the curved (convex) side of the headband on it (so that it rocks on the flucrum). Now mark the ceenter position and trace the outline as you roll it to one side. Do the same for the other side.

the center mark should always be monitored.

Thanks!

gs

Due to you getting the replacement headband,do you still need this done?

fogia.4 - the nature of the wire that sony uses is such that if it's pulled to hard, it WILL snap inside the sleeving....a re-wire should do the trick to fix 'em! For the cost of re cabling, you could very likely have them back working again!

Jon L - yup!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back