Interesting article about the effects of the crisis on vinyl record production
Apr 17, 2020 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 8
I stopped buying new records, since the QC is so bad on some that I doubt the sound engineers ever heard of vinyl. Dirty, warped, pops (I am speaking more than a few), and lack of dynamics. The only thing they do is to increase the volume, for some this is enough I guess. On a Norah Jones record by Blue note, they forgot to put an outer wall on the outer blank portion of the vinyl. 3 times my needle slipped of the vinyl because of that.

I get it that the industry is having problems coping with all the demand, but still no excuse for wasting +25€..

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah to be honest I haven't bought vinyl for a long time although I used to collect actively. Even then though, most of what I bought was used, known-good pressings.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, that is what I tend to do. If I pay more than 10€ for a vinyl I make sure that is good quality of a known pressing. Good thing I like classical music which tends to be dirty cheap.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 8
Turntables always looked so cool to me, but since digital is so convenient, it is hard to get into it. Convenience trumps a lot of things it seems, but I am sure it is extremely satisfying to mess with those turn tables!

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 8
It was easier to get into when vinyl was the main audiophile format and new record albums were coming out constantly. I was not into it because I liked messing around setting up tonearms or cartridges. It was because the only other formats were 8 track tapes and later cassettes and neither sounded as good. When CD first came out I hated them and it took a few decades until I was able to tolerate them.

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, it was probably easier back then. Nowadays every consumer product is plug and play. And after it breaks you take it for service or buy a new one. With turntables its different.

Vinyl can really suck you into, if you like the mechanical aspect of the turntable. Servicing and endless tweaking/improving options. If you just want to have a trouble free listening experience, then digital is the way to go. Nowadays, the vast majority of turntables are not set correctly or taken properly care off. Probably in the high 90s percent, if I would have to take a guess. And an improperly set tonearm/stylus and a dirty stylus can quickly destroy your records. Not to mention taking the time to clean records. After you expand the library, you quickly realize that a cleaning machine might be also a nice thing to own..

It can be extremely satisfying, until you bend or snap an expensive cantilever :wink:

The main problem with vinyl is that you need to put a lot more money into in the beginning, if you decide to buy new. And you need to put some money to keep it working properly. Digital relies on electronics which nowadays are dirt cheap to produce. Vinyl is completely mechanical, hence more expensive. A good turntable, cartridge and phono preamp will quicky empty your wallet.

Apr 29, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 8
It's funny but I avoid pressings out of the Czech Republic like the plague. I bought a reissue of a Moody Blue's album within the last year pressed in CZ. It was noisy with a lot of pops and clicks. I clean my records ultrasonically but it was still bad after cleaning it so I returned it. I buy a lot of albums off Amazon and since I'm a Prime member, if the pressing is bad, I just return it for a full refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back