Interested in headphones with same or more bass output than Sony XB500
Oct 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #46 of 55

I wasn't talking about an amp though. Does your player, whatever it happens to be, have an equalizer? Most "bass boost" presets sound like crap to my ears because they boost everything below 1000hz as opposed to just below 200hz like it's supposed to be, but many players have a proper multi-band EQ and if you have a smart player capable of apps you can get pretty good EQ apps. Then you could give your XB500's even more bass lol

No. Just an Ipod classic with a 240GB hard drive. I thought about an itouch. But I would need it to have a minimum of 160GBs just for my music.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #49 of 55
  No. Just an Ipod classic with a 240GB hard drive. I thought about an itouch. But I would need it to have a minimum of 160GBs just for my music.

Oh. The equalizer on the iPod isn't very good. The bass boost setting boosts everything below 1000hz so it'll screw up the mids, especially since most bassy headphones have thick mids.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #50 of 55

Oh. The equalizer on the iPod isn't very good. The bass boost setting boosts everything below 1000hz so it'll screw up the mids, especially since most bassy headphones have thick mids.

I just use rock. As I pretty much just listen to metal. I was listen to a song today by Woe is Tyrants (Melodic/death metal) while working and I was using my brothers earphones. And the guitars in the intro of one of the songs just murdered my ear drums. I was dying for my xb's where the highs aren't so bright.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #52 of 55
  I just use rock. As I pretty much just listen to metal. I was listen to a song today by Woe is Tyrants (Melodic/death metal) while working and I was using my brothers earphones. And the guitars in the intro of one of the songs just murdered my ear drums. I was dying for my xb's where the highs aren't so bright.

woe of tyrants** got it mixed with "woe, is me" whom I also listened to today.

I am listening to daft punk right now :)

Dec 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #53 of 55
I realize this is an old thread but am looking for exactly what the OP was looking for. Something boomier than the XB500 which I own that wouldn't require an amp. I have been reading numerous threads perhaps there's been some new released headphones since this topic, as of now 2014 what's out there for me? Do the V-Moda Crossfade LP's fit the bill and have around the same or more bass then the 500's?

I'm looking to spend no more than $300 and mostly listen to rap/hip-hop music.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #54 of 55
I realize this is an old thread but am looking for exactly what the OP was looking for. Something boomier than the XB500 which I own that wouldn't require an amp. I have been reading numerous threads perhaps there's been some new released headphones since this topic, as of now 2014 what's out there for me? Do the V-Moda Crossfade LP's fit the bill and have around the same or more bass then the 500's?

I'm looking to spend no more than $300 and mostly listen to rap/hip-hop music.

I do not think they make a headphone with more bass then the Sony MDR-XB500s.
(I now they make headphones with better bass quality, then the XB500s)
You might try investing into a low cost DAC/amp to bring out the best in the XB500s.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #55 of 55
I am now, sadly, looking to replace my xb500s. One of the speakers dead now and doesn't look like I can replace it. Used pairs of these are going for almost 200 on ebay (300 new). Can anyone recommend what to go with nowadays? I am not too keen on the new stuff.

I have been looking at the xb950BT/B and the beyerdynamic 990 pros. Advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back