Interested in headphones with same or more bass output than Sony XB500
Sep 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

jockhater2

Head-Fier
I currently have the Sony XB500s and the the 700s. I sold the 700s to my brother as I prefer the sound and lighter weight of the 500s. The headphones are getting pretty beat up. I've had them for at least 2 years. I am looking for a pair of headphones that can take the typical daily abuse of being taken everywhere. So I am not looking so spend a butt load. I want them same bass output as my Sonys. I want boomy bass with laid back highs.

I'll take any recommendations as long as they are over heads and around the ears. I'd like to spend $80. But I am willing to go up from that if that is what it takes.

I just saw a thread on here that says these Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 are like to subwoofers to the head...but is it boomy bass like the 500s? or is it laid back bass like the 700s?

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 55
  I currently have the Sony XB500s and the the 700s. I sold the 700s to my brother as I prefer the sound and lighter weight of the 500s. The headphones are getting pretty beat up. I've had them for at least 2 years. I am looking for a pair of headphones that can take the typical daily abuse of being taken everywhere. So I am not looking so spend a butt load. I want them same bass output as my Sonys. I want boomy bass with laid back highs.

I'll take any recommendations as long as they are over heads and around the ears. I'd like to spend $80. But I am willing to go up from that if that is what it takes.

I just saw a thread on here that says these Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 are like to subwoofers to the head...but is it boomy bass like the 500s? or is it laid back bass like the 700s?

Maybe just buy a new XB500?
What sources do you plug the headphone into?

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 55
LOL that is what I was thinking about doing. They are $80 new. But I am down to try something new and different or with better quality.
I use them for music on my ipod and computer. And for watching netflix on my computer.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 55
Id say get the XB500 again or buy the Fidelio L1.  The Fidelio L1 is worlds better than the XB500 at EVERYTHING (including bass).

If you cant afford them... id go for the HFI 580.

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 55
  Id say get the XB500 again or buy the Fidelio L1.  The Fidelio L1 is worlds better than the XB500 at EVERYTHING (including bass).

If you cant afford them... id go for the HFI 580.

The different between the two for price is $15.
I am going to watch some reviews. I am looking for whichever has boomier bass.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 55
Only found a few reviews. The HFI 580s apparently are really bright...which is what I hate.

And the both reviews on the Fedlio's said that the bass is not exaggerated. Which isn't what I want. But. They still seem like they would sound great.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 55
Only found a few reviews. The HFI 580s apparently are really bright...which is what I hate.

A lot of Ultrasone fans agree that they benefit from a good bit of break in which reduces some of those highs. So reviews of new sets may or may not reflect the experience of owning a pair, although I would agree that the highs are a little emphasized. That, and some people don't respond well to the S-Logic technology. Definitely worth a try if you are into good bass. I think they sound like there is a decent $300 subwoofer attached to my head :D

See the HFI-580 appreciation thread to learn more: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 55

Heya,

AudioTechnica PRO700MKII
M-Audio Q40

And exchange the pads for SRH940 pads or Beyer DT770 pads on either one.

The Q40 has relaxed treble, and it's fairly boomy in the bass. I have it and the XB500 too, and the XB500 might have slightly more mid-bass, but the Q40 has way better mids and has very similar bass, but is built incredibly better. Detachable cable and everything.

Tanks compared to the flimsy Sonys.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 55
Yeah. I'll be the first too admit that I am a ****** when it comes to bass. My car audio set up is 147db on music...I know I can't find a pair of headphones that are going to give me the same satisfaction as what I have built in my car. So as close as possible is nice. Seems like so far...I will probably just be getting another set of the 500s.

P.S. I know they are a bit flimsy but it's worth because of how light weight they are. I literally take them everywhere with my as if they were earbuds. So the fact that they are light is a bonus. Especially since I listen to about 2 hours of music in a day while at work and then use them when I come home on my computer.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 55
Look for discussions of the K518 LE. Very similar to the K81DJ. I have a pair, and used a blue tack mod to tighten up the bass some. Some discussion here. Quite good for bassy headphones that you can get for under $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back