[Interest Check] Toronto Head-Fi Meet
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 26
I can find a community centre and book a room, the issue is that I’m in york region and there’s very little public transit here. But if you guys don’t mind I will look for a Markham spot, book a room and go from there.
I'd be all over that. I'm also in Markham.

City-run community centers and libraries seem to have pretty affordable hourly room rentals.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #17 of 26
Just had a rough price-check, a room is about $30/hr, plus HST and insurance. I am not sure how much insurance is, but my guess is that it will end up closer to $40/hr. If we go for about 5 hours (say 1pm to 6pm), we can do a quick set up 15-30 min, and get about 4+ hours or listening and catching up (the more important part).

I would say it's reasonable, the issue is that the location is on Major Mackenzie and Warden/Kennedy area. I am not sure there would be enough people with interest to show up. I think Pavel is now out West so it would be a huge drive for him, and many of you are around downtown area. Without traffic, it would be about a 30 min drive from downtown.

I would love to catch up with you all, as I really miss those days. I have given up a lot of my gear over the last few years but still held on to my favourites. I will see if I can lug my Sansui AU-717 to drive the HE-6.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #18 of 26
Just had a rough price-check, a room is about $30/hr, plus HST and insurance. I am not sure how much insurance is, but my guess is that it will end up closer to $40/hr. If we go for about 5 hours (say 1pm to 6pm), we can do a quick set up 15-30 min, and get about 4+ hours or listening and catching up (the more important part).

I would say it's reasonable, the issue is that the location is on Major Mackenzie and Warden/Kennedy area. I am not sure there would be enough people with interest to show up. I think Pavel is now out West so it would be a huge drive for him, and many of you are around downtown area. Without traffic, it would be about a 30 min drive from downtown.

I would love to catch up with you all, as I really miss those days. I have given up a lot of my gear over the last few years but still held on to my favourites. I will see if I can lug my Sansui AU-717 to drive the HE-6.
Looks like you're talking about the Angus Glen Community Centre which looks... like an amazing venue!
Parking right on the property and I don't see issues with safety. It's a beautiful building too.

Depending on the date I'm in!

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #19 of 26
I’m aiming at a Sunday afternoon during the summers. Some of you maybe out of town so I wanted a show of hands. I will create a thread and ask for input through PMs and I will organize and select the date with the most people showing interest.

With regards to the venue, it’s nice and bright and a great venue overall. But we still have thousands of dollars in gear.

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #20 of 26
Angus Glen CC is like a ten minute drive for me. But if you think attendance might improve by booking something right near the GO line, could be worth exploring options in a couple other venues (e.g. Markham Museum or the old Markham Station building)

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #21 of 26
Hi everyone, I guess I will bump this thread as part of the interest check.

I reached out to my local community centre (angus Glen in Markham) to have a rough gauge of costs for the rooms to see if it is economically feasible to go ahead with the meet. I don't know about you, but I am itching to have one.

I am looking at a Sunday, between noon and 5 pm (5 hour meet), between June 1 and end of August, so the dates I am looking at are:
- June 4
- June 11
- June 18
- June 25
- July 9
- July 16
- July 23
- July 30 / Aug 6 (not sure which one is a Civic Holiday, but I am assuming long weekends are out of bounds)
- Aug 13
- Aug 20
- Aug 27

The cost would be about $30/hr + GST + insurance, so I am guessing the total for the 5 hours would come to something like $200 for the entire group.

No alcohol will be served as that would require a license (bummer).

I am clarifying about their rules about no dancing or music. What they are looking at, I believe, is around a dance party or music playing in the background, not a bunch of audio geeks trying headphones on. I have also requested clarification around table and outlets and am waiting on a response, but I was in one of the activity rooms over the weekend and there were plenty of tables and outlets, we just have to bring our power bars.

Could you please send me your username, actual name, preferred/available date(s) if you are interested in a meet? I will try to set up a separate group PM / google sheet to get this going.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #22 of 26
I am in....

May 1, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 26
Hi
I'm am interested in going to the meet.
June-18 , 25 , July- 16, Aug -13, 20 are my preferred dates.
I would need to reschedule my work to make the other dates. Which is do able with notice.
Some Equipment available.
Nuforce DAC-80
Dark voice 336se tube amp
A&K AK70 portable player
OPUS#1 portable player
Hifiman HE-5XX, & 4XX, AKG-701,
Chord- Mojo dac amp
Fiio - FH-7 and Moondrop Blessing, Tin T4
Ety: HF-5, ER2SE, ER3ER, ER3XR, ER4S

May 28, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 26
Jun 15, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #26 of 26
Hi all, really looking forward to seeing everyone. June 25th, so in less than a week! Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back