Interest Check -- SF Bay Area, California, Summer 2010
Jul 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

renlute

100+ Head-Fier
There was a great meet here in February, very capably organized by our hero Voltron, but not everybody who wanted to could be there, and many including this writer couldn't try enough cans and amps. Would anybody else like to hear more gear soon?

Via PM, Voltron suggested this Interest Check thread to begin the planning process.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What about the following:

PLACE: DoubleTree Hotel at the SF airport again? $800 took care of a good-sized room, and was completely paid off by a raffle. If not DoubleTree/SFO, then who has a better proposition?

TIME: 9-5 on a Saturday? Sunday?

DATE: Aug 21?  Aug 28? Other? Earlier may be too short notice. Later gets into first week of school, which may or may not be an issue for parents or students among you.

GEAR: What can you bring -- phones, amps, DACs, other?

ORGANIZATION: Who might like to help pull it all together? Someone new should step up if possible.

SPREAD THE WORD to the NorCal/West Coast contingent!
++++++++++++++++++++++

I can attend any above date. Will bring AKG K702 + whatever amp I still have, currently only a low-end Presonus hp4, hopefully unique new DIY.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 2010:

This thread kinda fizzled, but in a later one the stalwart CEE TEE volunteered to put together a meet on February 19th, 2011. Watch the thread below for further info and developments:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525693/bay-area-meet-california-february-19th-2011

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 49
Place: Sounds good to me!
Time: Sounds good to me!
Date: Any Sunday is most likely.
Gear: Hehe... Nobody wants to listen to mine... No amp's or DAC's here... I suppose I can bring my collection though... Pretty humble. Some RE0's are probably my best phones. 
Organization: I could get there early to help setup stuff! Thats about all I can contribute to this gathering. I feel like a bit of a leech.

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 49
I missed the last one so would definetly be interested in going to this one.
Date and day don't really matter much to me so anything works.
About the only thing I can bring is a PPA v2 but I wouldn't have anything to set it up with as my headphones are almost broken and I use a computer as my source so I'm not sure it'd be worth bringing but if someone is interested in hearing it I'll be glad to bring it along.
As far as organization I'm not sure I'd be of much use but I guess it would depend on what kinda help is needed.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 49
I'd love to go, anytime that I'm not working, which, um, actually, I suppose I could work around. Is it uncouth to come just to sample all the wonderful gear? I haven't rec'd my cans yet, (they're arriving on Tuesday Fed-Ex) and then I have to choose a head amp! Ahh, the choices seem endless, but perhaps the Woo WA6, though probably not the SE, and then maybe even the DOGE 6210? Thankfully I don't really have room for the Zana Deux, so my budget will remain open for upgrading my headphones soon, once I sample a pair that I fall in love with, perhaps even at one of these events?
Do you suppose they'll be any head amps or headphones at the CES this Friday in Emeryville?

Dave

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 49
Of course it's okay to come to sample gear. That's the whole idea. It sure worked for me -- I bought my current phones after comparing my old phones with a set of K701s generously loaned for testing at the last Bay Area meet in February.

Naturally we rely on veteran head-fi'ers to bring both mainstream and exotic gear. It's a place to share your love of high-quality audio with other aficionados. I never saw so many amplifiers and DACs. I can't imagine finding so many boutique amps in one place outside a head-fi meet. And I doubt a salesman would let you spend too long listening critically to headphones at the Guitar Center without pressure to buy a set.

Dunno about CES, maybe somebody can comment who knows that show.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 49
I am open for any of the times/places/days....

Since I missed Chicago... been a little while since a gathering..

As far as the CA Audio Show.. looking at the Exhibitor list.. none of the headphone guys are on it..  There maybe something there... but speakers rule most shows... except ours...

Cheers,

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 49
NO Headphones at CAS today.
I'm planning to order a Cayin head amp tomorrow. I could bring it to the meet whenever it's scheduled. I could then decide which cans sound best with it, and order some new cans !!!

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #15 of 49
ESTOY AQUI! I don't know where everyone is!! Something is telling me this isn't going to happen in August... we need to super-bump it or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back