Interest check: Portland, OR?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #17 of 29
First time poster, long time lurker.

I'd love to have a meetup in the Portland area, and I am willing to take the lead in spending some time & money to set it up, secure a space, find some partners, etc. I have leads on a couple places that would be a good fit for a meet.

If those of you on this thread could respond if you're still interested, I will start with the next steps.

Looking forward to sharing some cans in PDX!

Of course there is interest. It's a situation of if you build it we will come.

The challenge is in finding a suitable space that is large enough, secure enough, space and tables and chairs and electricity for the gear, and such. And wi-fi since more people are doing streaming. And finding such a space for a reasonable price, or free. The challenge is in finding a suitable space. Community meeting rooms generally require official non-profit status to use them for discounted or free rates. So community meeting rooms in libraries and such aren't really available unless we organize as a non-profit. And the requirement now for wi-fi access limits many choices. Unless we decide to not have wi-fi and force the streaming people to rough it like we did a decade ago and bring files on a hard drive or thumb drive or even a box of CDs.

If you have leads on a suitable space, organize and we will come. And help.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 29
Double post -- sorry

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #20 of 29
I'll be coming in from the coast. Just not weekend of 11/2 please. Family wedding to attend.

BTW, Empyrean are sold, so... :)

Did just get DSHA-3F in though.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 29
Of course there is interest. It's a situation of if you build it we will come.

The challenge is in finding a suitable space that is large enough, secure enough, space and tables and chairs and electricity for the gear, and such. And wi-fi since more people are doing streaming. And finding such a space for a reasonable price, or free. The challenge is in finding a suitable space. Community meeting rooms generally require official non-profit status to use them for discounted or free rates. So community meeting rooms in libraries and such aren't really available unless we organize as a non-profit. And the requirement now for wi-fi access limits many choices. Unless we decide to not have wi-fi and force the streaming people to rough it like we did a decade ago and bring files on a hard drive or thumb drive or even a box of CDs.

If you have leads on a suitable space, organize and we will come. And help.

This right here....:beerchug:

My friend and I have been discretely scouting the SW for opportunities and this describes exactly what we're up against. There's a church not too far from us that would fit the bill, but it would actually be a lot easier if we were members. They have lots of tables and chairs. But not a whole lot of available outlets.

Echo audio moved in just down the street from my place and their new digs are nice. But, I have a hard time picturing a good layout and tables. I missed the one they hosted a couple years ago. It would be interesting to get feedback from Kurt (the owner) how he felt about it after and if there was any damage to his inventory. If it were my business I would be into it for the PR, yet very cautious with my inventory and liability.

I did go to the one ALO Audio hosted when they had their space in SE off of 10th and Stephens. That was fun, but it looked like a pain for them to move all their manufacturing stuff to the side and secure it. It got a little chaotic.

The best one I attended was years ago up in Seattle at Front Panel Express. They had the free space in unoccupied offices upstairs and it worked great. I think a bunch of HeadFi'ers really stepped up and brought in tables and chairs and stayed to clean up. Best part was the tours that FPE did of their facility for us DIY'ers!

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 29
Hey!, Joe and I made a meetup group for PDX: https://www.meetup.com/Portland-Head-Fi for actually creating an RSVP'able event once logistics have been hashed out a bit more.

I talked to Kurt at Echo Audio and he seemed open to the idea of hosting, my plan is to shoot him an email and see if the logistics make sense.
One thing that might help is having some sort of idea of how many people want to meet up.

Cheers,

Justin

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #24 of 29
I am in Eugene, I would come to a meet in PDX for sure.
Hasn't been a PDX meet for quite some time, would love to see it happen.
Jolida tube DAC III
Bryston BHA-1
Fiio M11
MrSpeakers ETHER Flow Closed
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #26 of 29
The coast checking in. I would be very interested to attend a PDX Head-Fi Can Jam™️.

I love Echo Audio and have not been to the new location in Hillsboro so I vote for that venue if Kurt (owner) agreed.
As a bonus they have the "tube audio art" Headphone Amp: Manley Laboratories ABSOLUTE I’d love to hear, as well as the Focal ARCHE DAC/Headphone Amp which is worth a listen.

I had the EchoHiFi.com grand opening on my calendar for months and was injured and put on crutches that week. I’ve been spending lots of time on bed rest listening to Senn 650’s with Cardas Cables on a Bellari Pure Class A Headphone Amp w/ upgraded tube (from Echo). I was about to pull the trigger on the demo AUDEZE LCD-X but it sold and instead have blindly ordered the new LCD-1. Should be here soon.

With all the money I saved, I’m looking for a new DAC (and thought it’s not entirely headphone related, possibly get into the streaming Bluesound ecosystem via Node2i they sell. Not thrilled with the McIntosh Play-Fi experience, and my aging AirPlay Wi-Fi doesn’t send high enough quality files from my Mac Mini Music Server.)

Shop Locally / Listen Globally!

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 29
I'd be interested. I could bring the Abyss' and the LCD-XC with the GS-X Mk2 and Kann Cube. I may even haul out and set up my turntable rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back