leichnitz

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATED

Checking interest for Orange County Meet Up --
November 21, 2009
10am to 5pm
Newport Beach, CA

Original Post

Would you be interested in attending an Orange County meet? It would be in Newport Beach.

I have been looking to attend a meet for a few months, and was ready to go to San Diego this weekend, but was disappointed that the San Diego meet was cancelled yesterday for lack of interest. In my short tenure (3 months) as a Head-Fi'er, have not seen a local meet. Basically, am hoping more experienced Head-Fi'ers will bring all sorts of great toys that we can all try out. So I am thinking about hosting one myself if there is more interest here in Orange County than there was in San Diego.

As an added bonus in your response -- if you are interested, do you think we should try to rush together a meet for late Oct/early Nov, or should we wait until after the New Year?

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 25
leichnitz, I think there would be a fair amount of interest, especially if you have a place to host. There was talk of an L.A. meet in October, but it got put on the back burner partly due to RMAF. I think the biggest issue is location. Hotels are expensive and not many people have accommodations to host a good size gathering. If you've got that covered then that's half the battle.

Personally I would like to see an event before the end of the year. Count me as interested.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leichnitz, I think there would be a fair amount of interest, especially if you have a place to host. There was talk of an L.A. meet in October, but it got put on the back burner partly due to RMAF. I think the biggest issue is location. Hotels are expensive and not many people have accommodations to host a good size gathering. If you've got that covered then that's half the battle.

Personally I would like to see an event before the end of the year. Count me as interested.

I belong to an HOA, and we constructed a beautiful new clubhouse recently. It is a nice space. Unsure of official capacity, but 50-75 people would fit pretty easily. Not very expensive either ($150 or so for the main room, can expand into second room and/or fully kitchen for more). So pretty nice, pretty cheap and, for me, damn convenient!

But I need to pay in advance to reserve and I am happy to do that only with a strong expression of interest.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 25
Wow that sounds like a killer deal! I had a great time at the last LA meet and CanJam, and am very interested in attending another socal meet. Count me in for sure.

I think setting the date so soon (end of the month) would probably reduce the amount of people that would show significantly. What about early to mid December? Is that too close to Thanksgiving/Christmas for some of you?

Regardless, I think there will be much more interest in an OC meet than a SD meet because there is a good amount of active LA HeadFi'ers. You will learn more about your sound preferences in one day at a meet than you can imagine. On top of it all, the LA group is awesome. I have no doubt there will be interest shown in this meet and you'll end up having a great time.

I will go for sure and will bring pretty much my entire gear collection.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 25
Count me in, too. I was also planning to hit San Diego, so another meet before the end of the year would be great.

Also, I'd be happy to chip in $20 towards the rental fee. Maybe more if you run short.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 25
This has been thrown around many times before. I could try for a room or two at my college. We have this nice building with rooms that closely resemble hotel conference rooms, albeit with some signs of age on the outer structure.
wink.gif

I don't know the exact procedure of securing one of those rooms, but they're rarely taken, so I can't see it being an issue.

Security obviously would be the biggest issue. Head-Fi members only allowed?

Oh, and if you guys would like pictures of the rooms, I can take a few later on today.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think we should have "Head-Fi Security" t-shirts printed up. They might come in useful for other meets, as well.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been thrown around many times before. I could try for a room or two at my college. We have this nice building with rooms that closely resemble hotel conference rooms, albeit with some signs of age on the outer structure.
wink.gif

I don't know the exact procedure of securing one of those rooms, but they're rarely taken, so I can't see it being an issue.

Oh, and if you guys would like pictures of the rooms, I can take a few later on today.

Thanks for the offer. And I would gladly cede organizing this whole thing to you if you want, as you are obviously very experienced in the Head-Fi world. But assuming I am going to keep organizing, I am more comfortable with the rooms I know.

I could do a smaller room, where our community typically holds yoga classes for about 10. It would be virtually free.

But I really like our grand room, which is big and, as I said above, also pretty cheap. It comes with lots of collapsible tables and chairs, with a few leather sofas tossed around. And as an organizer, my biggest concern is theft during the show. The risk of a non-Head-Fi person coming into this location is pretty small, since it is located in a low density residential neighborhood.

But if you could attend with some good gear, that would be sweet! I am pretty new to this and would love to be exposed to a bunch of new electronics, and decide which ones are next on my "must buy" list, all in one day. Plus in would be great to meet other enthusiasts in person.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Count me in, too. I was also planning to hit San Diego, so another meet before the end of the year would be great.

Also, I'd be happy to chip in $20 towards the rental fee. Maybe more if you run short.

Thanks. I have now read the FAQ sticky on putting on meets, and I like the idea of "passing a hat" and, if the contributions exceed the rental fee, then we have the privilege of contributing to keeping this web site up.

However, even if no one contributed a cent, I would not mind so long as it was well attended and productive for everyone. I just don't want to pay the non-refundable fee up front, and then have to cancel for lack of interest like the San Diego meet.

So far, only 4 or 5 people have responded. I am hoping more will express interest in the coming days.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 25
If it is at a bar I will be there!

Where ever it is I will be there. Way better than to traverse the LA curtain.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 25
I will check on site availability and post some possible dates shortly.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #15 of 25
OK - Site is available Saturday, November 21. That is probably last Sat that would work this year. Nov 28 is Thanksgiving weekend, Dec 5 is booked, Dec 12 the Jewish holidays start, and after that Christmas festivities to New Year.

So, Nov 21 date feedback?

Also, how do I update title of thread? I cannot figure that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back