Interconnect Recommendations Please!!
Feb 28, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
Well, I've somewhat narrowed it down to three.

1. Cardas Golden Cross (.5 meter appx $320-$380 used at audiogon)
2. Zu Varial ($330 new)
3. HGA Silver Lace ($189 new)

So far im leaning towards the golden cross. Does anyone think this cable will be too warm in my system? I've researched them all extensively and I defenitly like these three. The only reason I would get the HGA silver lace is because it is a bargain. It seems that anyone who has heard both the Zu Varial and the Silver Lace like the Zu Varial better... at least from the threads i read. So I really like the Zu Varials or the Golden Cross. I read where cresendo said he was using a wheatfield ha-2 with sennhd600's and equinox (which i plan to get) and he explained the Zu Varial had "better extension in the frequency extremes" while the cross had " more slam in the bass with that sweet relaxing treble". Which basicly means the Zu Varial is more detailed..while the cross is more bassy (yet still detailed im sure). I like bass a lot and Im thinking detail can=brightness at times w/some recordings. Thats why im leaning more towards the cross. Im just hoping it wont be overly warm for my system
confused.gif
confused.gif

The reason I prefer the Golden Cross to the Zu Varial is because the Golden Cross sounds more analog like. I think the Golden Cross has the same extention in the highs as the Zu Varial, but not quite as up front. The major strength of the Golden Cross is in its midrange which no cable that I have heard to this date can match. The Golden Cross will probably increase the strengths of your system, while the Zu Varial will probably improve the weaknesses. Welcome to the wonderful world of audio!
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 40
I would actually try Nordost since the higher up you go the less other cables can match it. Although I wouldn't say it's the best value.

Nordost
Harmonic Tech (Ecosse cables are similar)

I would stay away from Kimber personally they aren't that good for the price.

If you're Canadian go with some Canadian companies :p

Feb 28, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 40
Just for the record, you can get the Varials new all the time off Ebay for $200ish...Zu is always selling their cables on there.

If you start going into the $400 range...well, you can start looking into the extreme high end interconnect world, if you look used.

Feb 28, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #19 of 40
Why are you going with an interconnect that is almost as expensive as your source?
confused.gif

I think that you might be quite happy with Outlaws, which are ~$60. Not sibilant, very nice midrange, good bass, and decent highs IMO. They sound much better than $60, and if you don't like them you will probably be able to sell them pretty easily.

Feb 28, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #20 of 40
If you 're not a DIYer
Recommend anythig under 100$ w/ decent Rep.
thing is....If you can tell the diff. between intercables
and it becomes such a big things on your system, I gotta tell you, you're in the vicinity of sound of heaven, already!!!
From that point on, unnoticeable improvement which I believe not sound quality but tendency or preference you like in the sound
, cost Zillions to the level that is not even understandable to the bunch so called "Mania"

Cheers
clamchowder

Feb 28, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Why are you going with an interconnect that is almost as expensive as your source?

Well, I bieleve a good cable will still sound good with my source, just as long as its not too revealing. Which is somewhat why im strayying away from silver. In addition to that, I plan on upgrading later of course
tongue.gif
. In addition to that I'm almost positive I will be getting a custom amp made in the next 6 months from the same guy Hirsch got his from, which should be a relatively "high end" amp. The cool thing about that amp will be is I can customize the sound to best sound in my system...So, before I get that nice amp I need to get a more high end source.. Of course these are the next 6 months - year plans. But still, im thinking the cardas golden cross will work in both my current system and my future system.

Quote:

Just for the record, you can get the Varials new all the time off Ebay for $200ish...Zu is always selling their cables on there.

Really? I didnt know this. Thanks for letting me know. Im thinking I may actually end up with two cables down the road.. And I defenitly want to give silver a whirl without spending a fortune. These look like the silver cables to get. Just got to decide which to get first...

Quote:

The reason I prefer the Golden Cross to the Zu Varial is because the Golden Cross sounds more analog like. I think the Golden Cross has the same extention in the highs as the Zu Varial, but not quite as up front. The major strength of the Golden Cross is in its midrange which no cable that I have heard to this date can match. The Golden Cross will probably increase the strengths of your system, while the Zu Varial will probably improve the weaknesses. Welcome to the wonderful world of audio!

mmmm-midrange. Sounds like the cable for me, would like to spend a bit less of course but this looks like it. Appreciate the comments.

Feb 28, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
confused.gif

I think that you might be quite happy with Outlaws, which are ~$60. Not sibilant, very nice midrange, good bass, and decent highs IMO. They sound much better than $60, and if you don't like them you will probably be able to sell them pretty easily.

My experience with the Outlaws is that they're a very good cable, but have a very strong signature that tends to homogenize the sound. Also not great for fine detail. I used them for a bit when comparing the ZOTL to a Max, and found that this cable tended to minimize the differences between these two amps. Something was being hidden when differences between the ZOTL and the Max become hard to delineate.

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #23 of 40
which I do; I am burning in a pair now, and I must say they have acted very odd, better then worse, more open then closed, more brittle then not during burn-n.

I listened to them when finsishing work this after, and they are almost burned in. They have never sounded so open.

The reason for the post it to give you a slightly less expensive alternatibe than Zu: The DiMarzio M-Path. I bought these from another head-fi'er, so they were completely broken in when I got them. They are not perfect, but for $150 new, they are a good value - at least in my system. Very neutral, and built incredibly well. They are copper with welded (not soldered) connections.

Just one more thought to add to the confusion.

Mar 2, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #24 of 40
Don't mean to pull you off track, but in my system, I have had very very good results with the Wireworld Equinox III+. I believe that they retailed for around $180.00, but that Wireworld just came out with the series IV version, so you might be able to get the older III+ version for even less. Mids are very resolving, but very smooth as well -- listening to Natalie Merchant's "Ophelia" disc is quite fantastic with these cables. Bass is tight and deep and not over-emphasised at all. Treble is very nice, smooth, with no peakiness that I can tell. These are in my main system, not the main system. Do they make a difference? I think without a doubt, on my main system. I tried some Monster Cable, Audioquest, and the junky stock stuff -- liked the Wireworld in my system the best. I use Nordost Blue Heaven for my headphone system -- I haven't really had the chance to compare this set-up with anything else (been too busy). The Blue Heavens look pretty cool, and seem to sound good too, but as I noted, I haven't compared this set-up with other cables.

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #25 of 40
Go for a used pair of Cardas Neutral Reference ICs. They are very, very good cables for the price. Probably not too many others are as good for the price. Keep an eye out here and Audiogon for a pair of 1m cables. Should run about $275ish.

Mar 2, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Go for a used pair of Cardas Neutral Reference ICs. They are very, very good cables for the price. Probably not too many others are as good for the price. Keep an eye out here and Audiogon for a pair of 1m cables. Should run about $275ish.

I read jude's great review on the neutral reference and defenitly liked what he had to say about it. Have you heard the cardas golden cross? I saw a pair of .5 meter (which is what i need) go for $299 on audiogon last week. Im thinking they may be better for me. I actually saw some used cardas golden reference ic's .5 go for $350. I am also thinking strongly about getting the Zu Varials new off ebay for $229. Its really a toss up between the four. I found an old thread where jude cut into the cardas neutral reference ic's and took pictures of each individual layer. Was very interesting...I would have never thought there was so much to a cable. This kinda gave me a good idea of why good cables arent cheap...

I will probably be getting my custom amp built before purchasing a pair of ic's. So I still have plenty of time to decide. I think ive pretty much narrowed it down to four. If im patient I may find a .5 golden reference for $350 again... that way I'll never have to buy a high end IC again
tongue.gif
. Later down the road I defenitly want to try silver though (if I end up getting a cardas first).

Mar 2, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 40
You might also consider the Tara Labs RSC Air 1. It is "da*n expensive" new, but if you get your hand on a used pair it will be within your budget. I haven't compared Air 1 to Cardas best IC's, but I guess they are more forgiving to source weaknesses than Cardas. Air 1 uses rectangular copper conductors in air tubes, which means you get a sound that is airy, natural with an extremely wide and deep sound/headstage. This IC should also respond well to future upgrades.

I use it with a "non-high-end" source and headamp. A clock/power supply etc. modified Marantz CD6000 OSE LE (approx. 900 USD) and a power-supply/caps/tube modified Musical Fidelity X-can V2 with Mullard E88CC tubes. I also use Sennheiser HD 600 with Equinox replacement cable.

Mar 5, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

So you are dissatisfied with the sound coming from your stereo, and you feel the Monster cables are to blame?

No, im quite satisfied. My current satisfaction, however, does not change the fact that higher end interconnects will help my system perform in a way that is much more satisfying than with my current low end interconnects.

In comparison to better IC's, monster cables are said to have a weak soundstage and a rolled off high end. Good cables should improve on every area that the monsters were lacking in.

Monster cables do make a few "high end" pairs and im not sure how they sound. I am only commenting on the readily available low end ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back