Interconnect for my new stereo - need both help and tips
Nov 26, 2007 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello folks,

I've bought myself a new stereo (Bowers & Wilkins DM683, Cambridge 740A/740C -combo) and I've decided to make my self a really nice interconnect instead of buying one. I'm going to buy some silver wire 0,5mm (24AWG) from "MrMajestic2" and I need some help with a few questions that I have, as well as some generall tips. I hope you will not get to upset with my english
smily_headphones1.gif

The layout (per cable):
The silver that I will use is going to be isolated with PTFE (teflon) and I'm thinking of using four conductors and braid them like this. [img=http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3546/isolerflata500gt0.th.jpg]
Around this braid I'll put a shield braid and on top of that, another PTFE tube. I think this layout is good since the braid itself help remove interferences, and with the shield braid on, interferences from electrical wires and such has to be eliminated. -or?

Question 1:
Is this layout a good one? Should something be changed?

Question 2:
Will the sound change to the better the more conductors that I use?
In this braid I could use all four conductors for signal and let the shield braid be ground. Or I could let two of the four conductors be signal and let the other two be ground along with the shield braid. Or I could do a braid in which two of the four tubes contains conductors, and the other two only air.

What do you think is the best solution?
Please help me out.
Thanks in advance...

/Christopher

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi Christopher,

the sonic qualities of interconnects are usually very diversely discussed and the matter itself highly subjective...
but here goes:
I agree with your braiding when you use two conductors for signal and the other two for ground. You may want to connect one side of the shield to ground.
As for the other variations of braiding I think it's up to you to try it out.
I've built a similar cable from teflon insulated silver wire around a hollow core but braíded it very gently...like once per inch!!
Well it sounds very nice and detailed but I wouldn't make science out of it anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
(after selling very expensive Fadel silver interconnects on Eeeh-bay).

Oliver

Dec 3, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your input.
But wont the ground interfere with the signal-conductors when they lay as close to each other as they do when braided?

Anyone else who has got any tips for me?

/Chopha

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

But wont the ground interfere with the signal-conductors when they lay as close to each other as they do when braided?

When you refer to signal as plus and ground as minus I would do as I suggested....I've built several cables like that and rewired one of my headphones using a quad cable.

Btw, this is the site that inspired me...

DIY Fine Silver Interconnects

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 6
The VenHaus cable is VERY nice, I've built a few (using a cotton tube instead of teflon tube as the cener) and it's a great cable that doesn't cost too much to build, but takes a long time to make. Sound wise, it's very impressive and one of my overall favorite cables ever.

As for the original post, that cable is nice as well, and I've built a few of those as well. To say the truth, it's not TOO different, but I think that I enjoy the Venhaus cable sound slight more.

As for the actual difference between the cables, some will say placebo and claim the whole "double blind test" requirements, but after doing enough of those that I've done personally (easily done by asking a person to switch ICs in the setup and not looking at which are connected, then changing them after the entire CD and listening again), I'd say that the Venhaus has a bit more "ease of presentation" - it just sounds more of how I would expect it should. Not more "neutral", "analytical", "warm", "cold", etc, just closer to what I think it should sound like (and not necessarily closer to what the original is, just what I like more).

Just to note, I used 22AWG and 24AWG silver wire instead of the 28AWG in the recipe and a thick cotton tube as center instead of Teflon.

Personally, I don't see an important reason to use shielding unless you have tons of electrical interference right beside the cable in your system (I found this myself by taking a Canare shielded cable and comparing to the same wire first unshielded and braided by myself). Couldn't tell a difference myself.

As for braiding signal cable right beside the ground (with uniform difference between the two as in Venhaus or simply as close as possible) is the way to make sure you have little interference entering the signal.

Why not try to experiment and see which cable combination / style you enjoy the most, if you like the cable-making hobby, it'll be fun and you'll learn the most important lesson - the best cable is the one that sounds best to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Why not try to experiment and see which cable combination / style you enjoy the most, if you like the cable-making hobby, it'll be fun and you'll learn the most important lesson - the best cable is the one that sounds best to you

I'll second that...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back