Interconnect AK120 to computer
Oct 9, 2013 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MH01

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Just wanted some advice around cabling , is it worth upgrading the USB cable that comes with the AK120?

This is in relation to using the AK120 as a dac. USB cables are digital ? Therefore is there really any upgrade path ?

Cheers.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Won't make any difference, so don't waste your money.

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 4
I would say that it would be of benefit, but finding a decent cable with a micro USB connector on one end is going to be difficult.  I've a lot of experience with USB cables and they are most certainly not all the same sonically - nor does it run that the more you pay, the better they get, far from it.  I use a powered USB cable system from Astin Trew in my home system (Laptop streaming to DAC) and it offers a substantial improvement in audio quality, but the AK120 USB input chip may be powered from the battery supply in the AK120, not from the sending device (?) so this approach may not be useful anyway.  If you do find any micro USB to USB cables that suggest they are 'audio' quality, I would be interested in knowing myself. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 4
  I would say that it would be of benefit, but finding a decent cable with a micro USB connector on one end is going to be difficult.  I've a lot of experience with USB cables and they are most certainly not all the same sonically - nor does it run that the more you pay, the better they get, far from it.  I use a powered USB cable system from Astin Trew in my home system (Laptop streaming to DAC) and it offers a substantial improvement in audio quality, but the AK120 USB input chip may be powered from the battery supply in the AK120, not from the sending device (?) so this approach may not be useful anyway.  If you do find any micro USB to USB cables that suggest they are 'audio' quality, I would be interested in knowing myself. 

I am very sure AudioQuest would very much like to sell you such an USB cable if you so desire. They may not have one right now, but they can surely repackage some generic brand as audio quality cable and sell it to you at a premium, sonic improvement included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back