Intelligent dubstep thread
Aug 25, 2011 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

jerrymuzu

New Head-Fier
I would like to put together a thread of high quality dubstep, as it gets a bad rep because of some artists' "style".

To start things off we have here the 4th single Anthemic from the electronic collective of Skream, Benga and Artwork a.k.a. Magnetic Man,
how would you describe it? It's a sort of dubstep with a deep brooding beat and a mechanical, "magnetic" sound.

Would it be deep-dubstep-house?

Anthemic - Magnetic Man: http://www.muzu.tv/ie/magneticman/magnetic-man-feat-p-money-anthemic-music-video/1022834/

Homepage: http://www.muzu.tv/

I'll be back to post more if others are interested.

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 47
I'm always interested in dubstep without those stupid oversteered wobbles.

Examples:

Mount Kimbie of course, one of the few dubstep artists with a genuine sound of their own:

James Blake used to fit in this category as well, before he started singing in every song he made and got rather ****.

Next a bit of Dutch pride, 2562.

Some more Tectonic stuff:

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 47
No producer can make dub sound this cavernous:

Friend of mine from Berlin, started doing a little dubstep after a career of sound design and experimental electronics:

Broken Note keep amazing me with their intelligent use of layering. The brooding agression in this track is brilliant as well. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 47

Quote:
No producer can make dub sound this cavernous:

OMG!!
I'd never heard of Kryptic Minds - Not really a huge fan of Dubstep although I do have a little in my collection... but I'm a fan of this. Many thanks for this Negakinu
beerchug.gif
 I love finding new stuff and just ordered 'One of Us'.

This is so beautiful.... Very intelligent, also on One of Us album.

I'm not sure if there is a genre crossover in the stuff I listen to but Kryptic Minds remind me of Phutureprimative. Neither of which list their own genre as specifically Dubstep but definately intelligent stuff from both.

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 47
Are we talking about getting away from the whole "who can be louder" contest that seems to be prevalent in dubstep today and, imho, is ruining it for everyone?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 47
What is this? A dubstep track with dynamic range, that I can actually listen to without ear fatigue? DR 8? I didn't even think this existed...
rolleyes.gif
Can... can we get more stuff like this, please?!
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 47
It's time Burial starts to change his sound. I'm slowly but surely getting bored of the typical Burial formula. I digg his music, but he needs some change after doing the same for the last 5 years.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:
It's time Burial starts to change his sound. I'm slowly but surely getting bored of the typical Burial formula. I digg his music, but he needs some change after doing the same for the last 5 years.

I won't disagree.  Both his releases Burial and Untrue get pretty repetitive after awhile, so I can only take his production a few tracks at a time.  I just wanted to get in before some kid starts posting Mt Eden.

Here is some Pangaea and Martyn.  Straddles the line with intelligent dnb quite a bit.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 47
Lol, I didn't mean to convey any offense :) Dubstep isn't one of my well-known genres, but there are some artists in the genre with tracks that I like.  I'm sure everyone here knows a lot more about the genre than I do.  Great OP, and I look forward to learning about new artists in this thread!
atsmile.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 47
I love the darker, quieter side of Dubstep. Really the most enjoyable of the entire genre. The extreme wobs and fast pace are fun and all but get to me relatively quickly. A couple of my favorites.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back