Intel announces 10 core Xeon E7 processors!
Apr 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #16 of 30
No one would know for sure obvisouly, but I do know that people's imagination/creativity usually outpace available technologies (often by a sizable margin).

Quote:
At this point, I'm just wondering how much cpus and computer stuff is going to evolve in the next 50 years.

Would there be a limit, when personal computers get so powerful that there is no need to make faster cpus, gpus etc. There is just no software that requires that power.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 30
'Till we meet the 80-core goal I don't even think I'll consider it 
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 30
I'm pretty sure the next Xbox is going to utilize one of these chips for it's CPU. Consoles when first launched are always more powerful than current PC's until like 1-2 years in to it's lifetime.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the next Xbox is going to utilize one of these chips for it's CPU. Consoles when first launched are always more powerful than current PC's until like 1-2 years in to it's lifetime.

Consoles never feature the latest and greatest CPUs. (And besides, all modern consoles are PowerPC, not x86.) Consoles can just do more with less thanks to the fixed platform and the resultant ability to code to bare metal instead of higher level APIs.

Quote:
What happen to my AMD??, 10 cores/20 threads ... Opteron, Bulldozer! whats up?!

Rumors are for a June release. It's a wonder that AMD can compete with Intel at all given the massive differences in company sizes.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
What happen to my AMD??, 10 cores/20 threads ... Opteron, Bulldozer! whats up?!

AMDs are mostly slower than intel's CPUs even if AMD has more cores or faster clock speed. I read it a while ago when a dual core Intel Core i5 beat a quad core AMD Phenom which also had a higher clock speed than the i5.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 30
As nice as this is, I'd still pass if I was buying a CPU in the next while.
Even when I got a new computer last, I passed on a Quad Core CPU because at the time barely any games supported them and I could get two cores that were individually faster than each of the four cores.

I don't do intensive editing or anything though, so videogames determine what I need.

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 30
I doubt it'll happen any time soon, considering how much more bandwidth it'll put on our infrastructure. Not to mention, I wouldn't trust any company to handle/store my private data at this time.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #30 of 30
That sounds plausible. Looking at their history, in the last 3 years, they've gone from quad core to 10 core for their top end processors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back