Intel announces 10 core Xeon E7 processors!
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 30
These are aimed at highend server market, it's not really something that the Apple is catering to. Besides, these are based on Nehalem micro-architecture with a different socket than the current Mac Pro, that means Apple would need to come up with a new logic board. You should wait for the new SB chips that are slated to come out at Q4.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 30
That's just crazy! Whatever do you need all that processing power for?... I have a 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo that handles everything I throw at it, plus is more than enough for video editing and graphic design. Furthermore I can play any game with my cheap ATI HD4850, most of them I can max out.

I used to be into upgrading every year or so but have since come to realize what a scam it is with silly incremental upgrades; games and programs don't even keep up with it.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 30
Do you have any idea how processor intensive online Scrabble is?
wink_face.gif

blink.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 30
Almost not possible IMO :)

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 30
Yikes! I'm still running my Linux box on a single core 2.0GHz Athlon64 I bought some years back. Dropped in 8GB of RAM and it still purrs along. I don't demand much of it, so I figure I'll keep it for a few more years.

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
These are aimed at highend server market, it's not really something that the Apple is catering to. Besides, these are based on Nehalem micro-architecture with a different socket than the current Mac Pro, that means Apple would need to come up with a new logic board. You should wait for the new SB chips that are slated to come out at Q4.

That was meant to be a joke. But yeah, apple doesn't put the best cpu or components in their machines, you still can't find an 8 core xeon (only 2x quad core) in Mac Pros. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 30
At this point, I'm just wondering how much cpus and computer stuff is going to evolve in the next 50 years.

Would there be a limit, when personal computers get so powerful that there is no need to make faster cpus, gpus etc. There is just no software that requires that power.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 30
At this point, I'm just wondering how much cpus and computer stuff is going to evolve in the next 50 years.

Would there be a limit, when personal computers get so powerful that there is no need to make faster cpus, gpus etc. There is just no software that requires that power.

terminator_robot.jpg

^my honest opinion

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
^my honest opinion

LOL !! I was waiting for that.
But Skynet knew you were going to post that and is sending something back in time to say 'Hi' before you hit the 'submit' button.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 30

Considering cloud computing we can still go for a very long time before things are quick enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back