Integrated Tube Amplifiers under $300 (pictures/ comments)
May 24, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #17 of 29
unless u got some super efficient speakers, i doubt they'll sound any good with those power ratings

May 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unless u got some super efficient speakers, i doubt they'll sound any good with those power ratings

It's too bad that many speaker manufacturers are building ineffiecient speakers (less than 90 dB) to match solid state amps when tube (hybrid) amps sound superior, especially at the same price point. Even Skylab shares this same opinion in one of his reviews.
wink_face.gif

Furthermore, if you've read the Stereomojo review above, the critic preferred the Xindak tube amp at $500 over his $2500 Bryston solid state amplifier.
biggrin.gif

Here's a nice comparison between tubes vs transistors.
http://spectrum.ieee.org/print/1640

tubet1.gif

May 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MPG1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let me place a vote for tube amps that come from my own country as well. Very good and more than a match for China amps. . .
biggrin.gif
Kinetic Audio Technologies

Well, it's nice to know that the Phillipines is also into the warm tubey sound. Anyway, the more competition there is for tube amps, the more choice we have as consumers. So, which one those amps would you recommend for under $300?

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #23 of 29
[size=small]Xiangsheng H-80BIII Tube/transistor hybrid amplifier
[/size]
Hefei XiangSheng Electronic Co.,Ltd

[size=small][size=small][size=x-small]Signal to Noise Ratio : 89DB
Input Impedance: 100K
Output Impedance: 4~16 ohm
Frenqueney responses: 10Hz to 40KHz
Distortion: less than 0.01%
Output Power: 80W×2
SIZE: 340mm(width)×165mm(Height)×385mm(Depth)
Net weight: 8.5kg
[/size]
[/size]

[size=small][size=x-small]
20095642572649.jpg

[/size]
[/size]

[size=small][size=x-small]
20095642589181.jpg

[/size]
[/size]

[/size]

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #24 of 29
The Ming-Da MC8407C is also a nice tube integrated/headphone amp. Here is mine:

DSC01585.jpg

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #25 of 29
Here's an amazing tube hybrid amplifier, but it'll cost you more than $300.
wink.gif

[size=small]ShengYa A10CS[/size]

A superb integrated amp with state of the art features that make it one of the best hybrid integrated amplifiers on the market.

4 12AX7 tubes are used in a double triode (Class A) configuration for low level inputs. (The tube in the window is a working, active in the circuit, 12AX7). A 6Z4 rectification tube is used for smooth transients and a warm tube sound. As a matter of fact, the preamp section alone in this integrated is probably one of the best out there.

The 150 watt solid state amplification system is equally impressive. The bias is set to class A for the first 10 watts before switching to class AB. In order to accomplish this, the amp has to be built superbly in order to sustain the high heat dissipation of the bias. The ALPS volume control, Solen caps and low noise high power torodial transformer fit the bill to deliver clean and concise power to your speakers.

post-32-1233403368.jpg

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #26 of 29
[size=large]The new S.E.X. amp[/size]

[size=x-small]The new S.E.X. kit is a stereo integrated single ended triode (SET) amplifier of 2 watts per channel output. [/size]
Single Ended eXperimenter's Kit

[size=x-small]The amplifier's power output is approximately 2 watts RMS per channel at 10% THD at 500Hz, similar to a single ended 45 tube amplifier. [/size]

[size=x-small]Frequency response at 1V output is -3dB at 27Hz and 22kHz. The amplifier has an input sensitivity of .62V RMS and a gain of approximately 15 dB at 1 kHz and can be wired for 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers. 16 ohm speakers will run well on the 8 ohm tap at slightly reduced power levels. Input impedance is 100Kohms. [/size]

[size=x-small]Assembly is a one or two evening affair, designed for the builder with little or no kit assembly experience. A very thorough[/size] [size=x-small][size=x-small]assembly manual (the S.E.X. Manual) is included in Adobe PDF format on a CD ROM, containing step by step printed instructions you check off as you work, detailed photos of the chassis underside[/size] [size=x-small]and components, and a thorough [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]
SEXbacksideweb.jpg
checkout procedure.
[/size][/size]

[size=x-small]The combination of low noise and ample transformer coupled output drive means the S.E.X. amp is perfect for use both as a loudspeaker amp and as a headphone amp, It works great with high efficiency (97 dB or higher) speakers for listening room systems that work well with similarly powered 45 amps, and practically begs to be plugged into computer sound cards and smaller speakers for desktop audio systems. An IHF standard output configuration on the headphone jack means exceptional low noise performance with headphones of virtually any impedance. The integral level control makes a very simple system possible. Only the addition of a source (CD player, portable disc player, Ipod, sound card, phono preamp, tuner, etc.) and speakers or headphones is needed to get the three dimensional, highly resolved sound of single ended triodes. [/size]

SEXunderside_filtered.jpg

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #27 of 29
I'm all for a showcase of tube amps, but seeing as the thread OP specifically titled this amps under 300$, then it should probably stay that way...the SEX amp is definitely not sub-300$

Let's not forget to mention the advertisment feel of this whole thread to begin with...

Jun 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm all for a showcase of tube amps, but seeing as the thread OP specifically titled this amps under 300$, then it should probably stay that way...the SEX amp is definitely not sub-300$

Let's not forget to mention the advertisment feel of this whole thread to begin with...

NoPants, you're right. I was giving a free plug to the dudes selling the DIY SEX amp dudes. I was checking if anyone was paying attention.
tongue.gif

If anyone knows of an affordable DIY integrated tube amplifier (under $300), please post it in this thread.

Furthermore, since there is no one company or one product being hyped, I would say that some other threads are more of an ad than this one. Anyway, I did call this thread a "buyer's guide to affordable tube amps" earlier in this thread.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back