Integrated amp
Nov 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Saucerful

New Head-Fier
I know you probably get hundreds of these so I'll be as brief as possible.

First of all, I'm in Canada, so that will probably narrow the recommendations down from the get-go. I'm looking for an entry level integrated amp or receiver. What I mean by entry is level is something that is at least as good, and hopefully better, than a $300 all-in-one Sony stereo unit. This is for music only, so I'm not looking to blow a bunch of money on a 7.1 HDMI receiver which is something I plan on getting later for home theater system.

Priorities are good sound quality for the money, and decent headphone output (good enough to get my money's worth from my Sennheiser HD555s). Wattage is last priority since my two (full range) speakers are like 100W 6Ω. What I would also like is a decent equalizer. I realize that's probably sacrilege for some people here, and maybe one day it will be for me too. But, the point is I recently tried out a Technics SA-DX1050 receiver and although the treble was crisp and clear (which I do appreciate), the bass was extremely lacking from most of my line-level devices. The only device from which I got decent bass was my PC sound card since it has hardware EQ on it.

I suspect some of you will recommend a separate hardware equalizer in addition to an integrated amp which, if cost effective, I might consider. But in my price range, which is ideally $500 CAN or lower, I think getting an amp/receiver with shabby or no EQ is defeating the point.

So, where do I go from here?

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 9
I just read your post below. Are you by chance using some mini-system speakers? It is highly unlikely that a regular old Technics receiver rolls off the bass. It may lack the bass quality of fancier stuff, but you'd need serious speakers to tell. I bet the all-in-one system incorporated considerable eq'ing to get some bass out of those most likely very weak speakers. If that's the case, don't spend more than $10 on amplification until you get some better speakers to hook to it!

The other possibility is that you've grown accustomed to the greatly exaggerated bass (and highly distorted, as happens when you give terrible woofers a bunch of bass boost) that the mini-system unit probably provides. If that is the case, the best thing to do is likely to get something with reasonably flat response and grow unaccustomed to that sound! It's fine if accurate reproduction isn't your goal, but then there is no reason to spend more $$!

Thanks to chips, the world is full of great sounding $40 amplifiers (based on the TA2024). You could spend thousands on amps and EQ's, but with junk speakers, you'll be spinning your wheels.

If you are unwilling to mess with speakers, you might strongly consider a dedicated headphone system and leave the mini-system as it is. You could use your computer to provide the EQ in the digital domain if you want to pump up the bass. If you are going to get a cheap, analog domain multi-band component EQ, you may as well grab whatever amp is cheap at the thrift store.

Paul J.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Nov 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank you for your responses.

Paul J, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

Regarding the mini-system speakers: I considered, and was afraid of that. Yes, I am using my mini-system speakers. So then the speakers are weak in bass response and the mini-system, being designed with this in mind, wildly boosts the bass signal while the unsuspecting customer doesn't notice?

I wasn't really hoping to spend all that much money on an amp right now but I will if I have to. To answer your question, I'm absolutely willing to replace my speakers. I'm wondering though if I should sheepishly wander back into the used electronics shop and buy that Technics again and just add better speakers to it. It was $149.99 CAN.

I think it's obvious from my newbness and epic rookie fails that I don't really know what accurate sound reproduction is! haha But I imagine eventually, that's where I want to be. The thing is, right now, I don't have the money or space to do that; it'll be a project for a few years down the road.

*edit* Oh, and ideally yeah I was looking for a graphic EQ not just the bass and treble tone controls.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Cambridge, NAD, Rotel
Or if you want to step it up....Bryston (maybe a used B-60 on Ebay?)
or Vincent Audio?
PrimaLuna tube integrated.
Adcom.
Check Ebay.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saucerful /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your responses.

Paul J, that was exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

Regarding the mini-system speakers: I considered, and was afraid of that. Yes, I am using my mini-system speakers. So then the speakers are weak in bass response and the mini-system, being designed with this in mind, wildly boosts the bass signal while the unsuspecting customer doesn't notice?

I wasn't really hoping to spend all that much money on an amp right now but I will if I have to. To answer your question, I'm absolutely willing to replace my speakers. I'm wondering though if I should sheepishly wander back into the used electronics shop and buy that Technics again and just add better speakers to it. It was $149.99 CAN.

I think it's obvious from my newbness and epic rookie fails that I don't really know what accurate sound reproduction is! haha But I imagine eventually, that's where I want to be. The thing is, right now, I don't have the money or space to do that; it'll be a project for a few years down the road.

*edit* Oh, and ideally yeah I was looking for a graphic EQ not just the bass and treble tone controls.

Definitely put the money into better speakers first as previously suggested. They are the most important link in the chain. Yes most mini-systems are designed so that the subwoofer is crossed very high with the speakers and boomy, and the treble cranked on the top end (aka Boom and Sizzle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back