Insurance Question
Aug 3, 2006 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
My neighbour has a tree in his front yard, most of which hangs over my drive way. He has said numerous times last year and this year that he wants to take it down. This year the tree pretty well died...no vegetation on it at all and it looks really dried out.

Last night we had a rain storm with high winds and lots of thunder and lightning. This morning I got up to drive my wife to work and my windsheild was shattered. There are pieces of wood stuck in the glass and at least a dozen chunks of limbs from the tree all over my driveway.

I haven't spoken to my neighbour yet as he's at work I believe. So here's the question...do I wait and speak to him or call my insurance company first. I don't want to have to pay a cent, be it up front or due to increased rates, but we'll have to see what happens. Would I have to pay for this because it's an "act of god"?

I've snapped a few pics of the windsheild and the limbs on my drive way just in case. I really hope this encourages him to finally take the tree down before it falls on my house...
mad.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 9
My advice is to speak with your neighbor first.

DO NOT call your insurance company. If it's only the windshield, it may not even be worth reporting to an insurance company because the policy owner will probably pay the repair price many times over in higher premiums.

As for whether this is an act of god, it sure doesn't sound like it. Letting a dead tree stand over your neighbors property sounds pretty negligent to me.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm going to suggest going middle of the road...

Call your agent, and tell him the story, but don't have him put a claim in yet. Your neighbor should take care of it either directly, or through his insurance company. If problems arise dealing with your neighbor, it can't hurt to get suggestions from your agent. I had a similar thing when I dinged a neighbors car. My agent advised me to handle it cash. He said my insurance would cover it, but it for the estimated damages, my insurance would go up more than would be worth it.

Insurance companies aren't the bad guys. Good agents will help you find the best course of action. I say this having had good experiences. I'm sure others will have different stories to tell.

Good luck
-Jeff

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 9
Depending on how is your relationship with the neighbor I would suggest you ask him/her to remove the tree right away. If a month goes by without any action on his/her part then send him/her a certified letter requesting he takes down the tree. I would include a couple of pictures of the damage caused as well as pics from the tree taken from across the street. Good luck.

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Depending on how is your relationship with the neighbor I would suggest you ask him/her to remove the tree right away. If a month goes by without any action on his/her part then send him/her a certified letter requesting he takes down the tree. I would include a couple of pictures of the damage caused as well as pics from the tree taken from across the street. Good luck.

where are the pics of the bikini girls? i thought you always included one for the fans...hopefully you havent been discouraged by a couple of ninnies here

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Check your homeowner policy. It should cover this, if your neighbor's policy doesn't.

To be fair, contact your neighbor and tell him what happened. If he offers to take care of it, let him. If not, go to your insurer. It'll either get paid by your policy or they'll beat it out of his insurer.

Aug 6, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
where are the pics of the bikini girls? i thought you always included one for the fans...hopefully you haven't been discouraged by a couple of ninnies here

I have, I apologize
mad.gif
Maybe in the near future I will post again
wink.gif
On the other hand I am having to much fun going to South Beach and ogling, yes I admit it I am a dirty old man.
blink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice. I ended up just paying for a new windsheild. I got it for $190 installed. I haven't had a chance to talk to my neighbour yet, I think he went away to his cottage or something...I'll let him know what happend when he gets back and see what he says.

It was actually a blessing in disguise, because when I called my insurance company they said they'd do it but I'd have to pay the $300 deductable. While I was on the phone with them they asked me some info to make sure everything was up to date. First off they didn't know that I had moved from my G2 to a full G lisence (in 2003...I probably should have told them but I assumed they would know automatically). I also graduated from university and got the alumini rate versus the student group rate I had (I got my insurance in uni through their group policy). I also told them that I was turning 25 on the 7th (Happy birthday to me tomorrow!) and they dropped my monthly rate from $96 to $56!!!

So all in all I'm happy I made the call...it'd still be nice if the neighbour payed half or at least took down the damn tree already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back