Instrumental metal?
Jun 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

KONAKONA

Banned
Well I've been enjoying some instrumental metal albums I've had laying around (Crow's Claw - Brutal Games for the Reminding of Death.
biggrin.gif
) and was wondering if there are any other good non-vocal metal albums out there? Seems like metal is a lot more popular around here then what I usually listen to so you guys probably know a lot of stuff that would fit the bill.

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liquid Tension Experiment

don't know if "liquid tension" can be considered as metal. more like standart progressive rock with just a tiny bit of metal tastes. although i have only their second album.
personally i don't know of any non-vocal metal, and i am in the metal scene for some time now... so it would be interesting to see others comments on this.

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 41
^ would tend to agree. There are some bands that have minimal vocals, but completely lacking vocals seems to be a rarity in metal. Pelican is one band I know of that has no vocals. They're excellent. Russian Circles is another.

There are some really great proggressive metal / doom metal bands that cover a wide spectrum of metal and rock soundscapes: Isis, Neurosis, Jesu, Opeth, Red Sparowes, etc. These bands do have vocals to varying degrees but also offer many instrumental passages and are very enjoyable.

Cheers to discovering new music, especially metal!

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 41
konakona, i don't know what you mean by metal, but if you are not into hradcore metal than maybe you will like "liquid tension".
they are not in my definition of metal for a long time now, but they do have a little metal taste and it's nice music.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ would tend to agree. There are some bands that have minimal vocals, but completely lacking vocals seems to be a rarity in metal. Pelican is one band I know of that has no vocals. They're excellent. Russian Circles is another.

There are some really great proggressive metal / doom metal bands that cover a wide spectrum of metal and rock soundscapes: Isis, Neurosis, Jesu, Opeth, Red Sparowes, etc. These bands do have vocals to varying degrees but also offer many instrumental passages and are very enjoyable.

Cheers to discovering new music, especially metal!

I'll be looking into those shortly.

On a somewhat related note, I read everywhere where people say that the MS1s are good for rock, but I really prefer my AD700s to them. The guitars seem to have just a little more bite to them compared to the MS1s.

I really think that I somehow got a set of AD700s that sound like MS1s and a set of MS1s that sound like AD700s.
frown.gif

EDIT:

Quote:

konakona, i don't know what you mean by metal, but if you are not into hradcore metal than maybe you will like "liquid tension".
they are not in my definition of metal for a long time now, but they do have a little metal taste and it's nice music.

The album I mentioned in the first post sounds like metal to me. Might wanna look it up and see what you think, donno if it's hardcore metal or the such though.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 41
Try Pelican, instrumental doom/sludge. I recommend Australasia

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 41
Listened to a little pelican and russian circles, all of it is a bit slow. Maybe I think of heavy-metal when I think metal?
confused_face_2.gif

But yeah, that stuff is a bit on the slow side, not my type unfortunately.
redface.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 41
Listened to some Crow's Claw, Konakona. Definitely falls into metal territory. The tracks I listened to had a power metal flavour to them. From what I've read, it's a one man band from Japan! Looks like he does a lot of soundtrack work.

Most power metal bands have vocals. Not my fav genre, so I can't give out any decent recommendations.

The bands I recommended are very much different then Crow's Claw. Still well worth checking out, but don't expect more of the same. Expect a darker sound, some acoustic work, etc.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Listened to some Crow's Claw, Konakona. Definitely falls into metal territory. The tracks I listened to had a power metal flavour to them. From what I've read, it's a one man band from Japan! Looks like he does a lot of soundtrack work.

Most power metal bands have vocals. Not my fav genre, so I can't give out any decent recommendations.

The bands I recommended are very much different then Crow's Claw. Still well worth checking out, but don't expect more of the same. Expect a darker sound, some acoustic work, etc.

One guy does all of the songwriting, but apparently it's got more people in the group though, or at least going by last.fm pics. Touhou remixes are apparently a good way to get introduced to new genres....

Need to find some more stuff by them for now, just got those touhou remix albums at the moment.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listened to a little pelican and russian circles, all of it is a bit slow. Maybe I think of heavy-metal when I think metal?
confused_face_2.gif

But yeah, that stuff is a bit on the slow side, not my type unfortunately.
redface.gif

Hey, to each his own!

You should definitely research some power metal then. If you want some metal that is less "playful" and more "brutal" then power metal then let me know.

Maybe check these songs out to test your affinity for some of the harder stuff:

YouTube - Lamb of God - Walk With Me In Hell

YouTube - Insomnium - "Mortal Share" Candlelight/Peaceville Records

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Hey, to each his own!

You should definitely research some power metal then. If you want some metal that is less "playful" and more "brutal" then power metal then let me know.

Maybe check these songs out to test your affinity for some of the harder stuff:

YouTube - Lamb of God - Walk With Me In Hell

YouTube - Insomnium - "Mortal Share" Candlelight/Peaceville Records

Meh, don't like either of those. Guess for every 10 people who like screaming and don't like think accented italio disco, there is some nut like me who likes the broken english and doesn't care for screaming.

The only song I can think of that was metal with vocals that I liked in recent years was through the fire and flames (Don't flame me for that, no pun intended). I listened to some other dragonforce stuff and I didn't like any of it unfortunately. I listened to a lot of AC/DC way back when I was a young'un, and methinks I have a few CDs laying around as well. I have a bad feeling they might be poorly-remastered though, with all this talk of loundess and what not going around. Haven't looked into it any though. Also needless to say AC/DC isn't exactly metal.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 41
Instrumental metal bands off the top of my head, along with more or less what they sound like (IMO) -

Blotted Science - Basically... very heavy, very technical, very fast, non-stop riffs flying around for an hour without any sort of real break.

Exivious - Two guys from Cynic, a guy from Textures, and some other guy decided to make an album. It mostly sounds like a Cynic record, and in a lot of ways is more interesting than Traced in Air.

Behold... the Arctopus - Blazing technical metal with a heavy focus on non-repetition and with Warr guitar as the central instrument. Both of their EP's are amazing; their first LP, however, was somewhat disappointing and I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Continuo Renacer - Cynic/Atheist worship.

Canvas Solaris - Kinda masturbatory and meandering. Reminds heavily of bands like Cynic and Alarum in some ways, not so much in others. I think a lot of their music is somewhat flat if technically impressive, but I'm just one guy and lots of people dig them.

Actual Time - Pretty much unknown band... I only know about them cause they're from my city. Lots of crunchy riffing, driving bass lines, and rhythmic stuff you'd expect from tech metal, although occasionally this doesn't sound much like metal.

Animals as Leaders - A guitarist's (Tosin Abasi) solo album, but it isn't really a shredfest or anything like that. Good amount of creativity and diversity in tone and style, cool drum tracks, and some atmospheric stuff going on here and there.

Cloudkicker - Sounds sorta like Nothing-era Meshuggah mixed with Textures. Shares similarities with Animals as Leaders.

Electrocution 250 - To quote another reviewer: Well, that's right. This is some of the sickest, most off the wall instrumental music you'll ever hear. Sure, the question of songwriting will pop up in many minds; and I'll definitely agree this is not for everyone. Of all people, fans of quirky instrumental music or guitar players should enjoy this album the most. Think the playfulness of Bumblefoot and the dazzling speed of Behold the Arctopus. Now give it a Spastic Ink spin, if you will. There you have it - Electrocution 250, a most impressive instrumental trio consisting of GIT-schooled Todd Duane on guitars and bass, Lale Larson on keyboards and piano, and last but not the least Peter Wildoer on drums, who previously played on Darkane and Time Requiem albums. Songs are generally faster than lightning and leave the human mind in knots.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 41
Oh, forgot one.

Electro Quarterstaff - To quote from their MySpace page: Detailed, elaborate, epic instrumental progressive thrash metal that freely incorporates stylistic aspects common to technical death metal, doom, grind, prog rock, and modern classical in an effort to deliver direct, propulsive attacks to the senses. While we embrace a sprawling sense of complexity, we are untrained musicians and feel the application of musical theory is a burden on the creative consciousness and thus strive for an organic "feels good sounds good" approach to songwriting which eschews an exclusive reliance on technical skill and the typical Dream Theater douchebaggery. We're insatiable riffmongers determined to redefine the limits of creativity and are committed to the constant challenge of pushing structural arrangements further than what could be expected without embracing unnecessary emotional or musical cliches. We're amateurs on our respective instruments but confident in our ability to come up with some neat **** that isn't ****ing repetitive or predictable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back