Jun 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I own very albums in this genre.
Ive got:
Prefuse 73's-One World Extinguisher
RJD2-Dead Ringer
DJ Crush-Kakusei

I like the above, but im definitely feeling my recent purchase of Blockhead's "Music by the Cavelight" the most. Its got a darker feel to it; the beats are fire and it just flows seamlessly.

What are the must haves in this genre?

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 24
Black Star - The Instrumentals

I don't own it yet, but it's on my list of vinyl to buy from The Giant Peach.

I also like the CD that was included on the Blue Scholars last vinyl release - Bayani. Sabzi is a great DJ and many of the tracks are on the funk & soul tip - if your into that.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 24
I think there is sometimes a fine line between Instrumental Hip Hop and Instrumental Trip Hop.
All in all, I consider DJ Shadow the latter.
Im looking for less of the fluff and more of the straight beats.

Krush is good, but some his stuff is a little boring and repetitive.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 24
Cut Chemist - Audience is Listening
Red Snapper - Making Bones
DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 24
Blue Sky Black Death - Late Night Cinema

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 24
One more I thought of on the jazz/funk side of things is Madlib - Shades Of Blue where Madlib samples cuts from the Blue Note vaults.

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 24
Good stuff-keep em coming!

BTW-can anyone comment on any of Pete Rocks albums?

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 24
I have Petestrumentals, his instrumentals album. it is good, but honestly I do not believe it to be a must have. Comes off as rap songs minus the vocals which really doesn't do it for me.
DJ Krush on the other hand (whom I love) manages to really add something to each track and album which allows it to stand on its own.

RJ D2 similarly does this although he is just not quite my style as much.

You should check out Las Flores Project. I sort of know the guy so I suppose I am slightly biased. His album, Colores y Memorias, is very solid. Strong emphasis on sick older school type drums yet absolutely does not feel like rap songs minus vocals to me.
Lots of influence from Endtrouducing in a good way not just derivative way.

here is the myspace if you want to take a listen
MySpace.com - Las Flores Project - NEW YORK, New York - Hip Hop / Experimental / Down-tempo - www.myspace.com/lasfloresproject

Madlib has a ton of instrumental releases you might be interested in those too. He releases so many of them though it is more a way to glimpse into his life and see what ideas he is working with at the moment than traditional album structure. I truly believe he is a genius so it can even be cool to hear the work which isn't his best necessarily.

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 24
Arts The Beatdoctor - Transitions (about half instrumental)

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Petestrumentals, his instrumentals album. it is good, but honestly I do not believe it to be a must have. Comes off as rap songs minus the vocals which really doesn't do it for me.
DJ Krush on the other hand (whom I love) manages to really add something to each track and album which allows it to stand on its own.

RJ D2 similarly does this although he is just not quite my style as much.

You should check out Las Flores Project. I sort of know the guy so I suppose I am slightly biased. His album, Colores y Memorias, is very solid. Strong emphasis on sick older school type drums yet absolutely does not feel like rap songs minus vocals to me.
Lots of influence from Endtrouducing in a good way not just derivative way.

here is the myspace if you want to take a listen
MySpace.com - Las Flores Project - NEW YORK, New York - Hip Hop / Experimental / Down-tempo - www.myspace.com/lasfloresproject

Madlib has a ton of instrumental releases you might be interested in those too. He releases so many of them though it is more a way to glimpse into his life and see what ideas he is working with at the moment than traditional album structure. I truly believe he is a genius so it can even be cool to hear the work which isn't his best necessarily.

Ok-ill def look into it.
Just bought J Dillas "Donuts"-no doubt its good, but not really my style. TRacks are too short; kinda all over the place.

Blockhead's first two tracks on Cavelight are exactly the type of tracks im looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back