insane price differences between regions for AKG products
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wijnands

100+ Head-Fier
This afternoon I was in my local mediamarkt, a European chain of electronics stores. Had a go with the AKG N700 and found it surprisingly decent but not quite worth the 280 euro price tag.

Quick google when I got home showed me that the AKG USA site had it for 159 dollar, 144 euros. That's about HALF the price on the European market! Does anyone have any idea why this insane difference?

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 16
This is sadly pretty common and not only regarding AKG. It's difficult to find any European which is exported that is not cheaper in America than it is in Europe.

The only reason I can think of is that they are able to get better deals by importing huge quantities and probably making deals with the taxman over there. And to make it worse almost everything in America includes free shipping. As you know that is unusual in Europe.

Drop has the 7XX on sale for 150 shipped in Europe as of last Friday.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 16
There are probably basic economic realities like supply and demand and differences in distribution networks at play, but a big part of the difference is probably taxes, especially VAT

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 16
VAT is not 50% anywhere in Europe. They have import taxes in America and they also have to ship European products thousands of miles to get them to NY or many thousands to get them to California. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 16
VAT is certainly not 50%, neither is import. And probably this product is made in China, shipping a container either way doesn't have much price difference.
Thanks for the massdrop tip, I'll have a look

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 16
Problem with the EU massdrop is, it soon ends, and - delivery date is June 21 2020 ....

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm not seeing that. It says delivery expected in 5 days on both the black and red models...

whoops, you are right. After scrolling down several pages that looks to be the case. I would send an email to them if you're interested in buying. This is supposed to be a final blowout of euro stock. It's hard to figure why they expect a 6 month delay on something they're saying they want to get rid of. And the June 21, 2020 date is definitely a contradiction to what they wrote at the top saying delivery expected in 5 days.

Maybe that is only if you order on June 16th, 2020 :D

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 16
Could be a myriad of factors. EU prices reflect the item with VAT where as USA prices do no list sales tax in the list price. Here in California, our sales tax in LA County 9.5% where as Irvine south of us is 7.75%, Pasadena is 10.25% all within a 1-2 hour drive from each other. And then we have some states with no sales tax at all like Oregon. Depending where I buy it in the USA, it will add the sales tax depending on my area. That does contribute a bit to the price difference but there are other parts to it also.

The next is just taking a look the page for the headphones. The MSRP of the looks like $350 for it but they are doing for more than half off on it. So it may be a discount for the holidays or a discount because they are looking to get rid of stock for a new model coming in. If it was either of those reasons for the discount on MSRP, that was likely up to the distributor in the USA who set that discount. Sony for their noise canceling 1000X headphones are constantly coming out with new models to keep up. So the USA distro might have decided to closeout stock right now and in the EU they have not decided to do the same yet.

And another thing to consider for mediamarkt, they may have bought stock on the headphones at a wholesale price that was around the original MSRP and the price drop may have just happened and likely AKG isn't going to refund them the difference of what they paid vs the new reduced price so the store is stuck trying to not lose money on the sale. There is a lot of factors to consider and unfortunately there is no simple answer. And there is also likely factors I have no idea that may also be affecting the price in the EU side of things which I am totally unfamiliar about.

Dec 23, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 16
Maybe because there are still kingdoms in Europe and the royals can charge whatever tax they desire?

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 16
@TSAVAlan might be on to something, certainly a plausible explanation. Still... it looks insane.
Oh, and thanks everyone for the tips on the K7xx but that's an ordinary headphone, I already have a Dt770 for that segment. I was looking for something for the office that doesn't sound as atrocious as the sony or the bose. I was hoping to have found something affordable.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 16
Maybe because there are still kingdoms in Europe and the royals can charge whatever tax they desire?

Europe have no royalties who rule, they are like the peoples mascots being kept for display and generating mythical PR and some glam. Of course they cost money, but a vanishing small amount of a GDP. Doesn't affect the prices on anything.

The full explanation is probably too complex to fit in a single post, most consumer electronics made in the far east is simply more expensive in Europe. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Usually I'm seeing dollars = euros for electronics. What we typically don't get is free shipping and the shortest warranty they can legally get away with

I don't know where you are located, but I'm in Sweden and it's even worse for us as we have our Swedish Krona having a terrible exhange rate at the moment. Even the Euro is very expensive for us at the moment.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 16
I don't know where you are located, but I'm in Sweden and it's even worse for us as we have our Swedish Krona having a terrible exhange rate at the moment. Even the Euro is very expensive for us at the moment.

Netherlands. If I'd known I would have popped over for a few days Stockholm. :) A weak krona would have made up a bit for the beer prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back