Inquiry on Speakers
Aug 3, 2017 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kurido

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm someone who can only afford budget gear and am in search for the best I can get for my money.

Simply, I'd like to ask if there is much, if any difference, in sound quality and signature between the Wharfedale 101s and Yamaha HS5? I currently have the Wharfedale's rigged with an Aune T1, connected to two TP3116 amps that power the bookshelf speakers.

Would love to hear your opinion :) I'm familiar with the vocabulary and language used to describe sound so please don't hold back.

Cheers

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 5
Never heard the Wharfdales, but did audition the Yamahas. Impressive revealing midrange on first listen with a bit of extra emphasis on lower treble. Slightly shouty quality overall and midrange centric. I understand why Yammys have been used to check mixes as they reveal flaws in the mids easily. To me they are not neutral or pleasing to listen to for longer periods of time. Listening to Alison Krauss on them is tiring due to emphasis in the presence range causing too much sibilance.

In this price range I like the JBL LSR 305 much more.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Never heard the Wharfdales, but did audition the Yamahas. Impressive revealing midrange on first listen with a bit of extra emphasis on lower treble. Slightly shouty quality overall and midrange centric. I understand why Yammys have been used to check mixes as they reveal flaws in the mids easily. To me they are not neutral or pleasing to listen to for longer periods of time. Listening to Alison Krauss on them is tiring due to emphasis in the presence range causing too much sibilance.

In this price range I like the JBL LSR 305 much more.

Thanks for your sharing! :) I have question actually. It is regarding these unpowered bookshelf speakers like those from Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio, Zali Sensor where you have to choose your own amps to power them up, that dont usually advertise them as "monitor" speakers. Are there any substantial differences, or pros and cons from speakers that are labelled for monitoring? I was wondering how bookshelf speakers powered by dirt cheap (but the best in their price range, ie $30-$50 ones from Aliexpress) would compare with "monitor" speakers that supposedly already has an amp built in.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 5
The word monitor in these price ranges connotates nothing of value. I suppose a desktop monitor with adjustments to change the response based on placement could hold some value but most in this range do not. As for differences between powered and unpowered. Perhaps a case can be made that the self powered speakers may have a more efficient crossover which may help power transfer or perhaps dynamics. Then again the amps may be of low quality and when the amp goes south you are pretty much out of business whereas a passive speaker could have a faulty amp replaced.

I have had both on my desk. Currently I have self powered speakers that are rather cheap fully expecting them to not last, haha

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 5
The word monitor in these price ranges connotates nothing of value. I suppose a desktop monitor with adjustments to change the response based on placement could hold some value but most in this range do not. As for differences between powered and unpowered. Perhaps a case can be made that the self powered speakers may have a more efficient crossover which may help power transfer or perhaps dynamics. Then again the amps may be of low quality and when the amp goes south you are pretty much out of business whereas a passive speaker could have a faulty amp replaced.

I have had both on my desk. Currently I have self powered speakers that are rather cheap fully expecting them to not last, haha

I see. Thanks so much for the well-written response! Defitnely learned a thing or two from you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back