Input Capicitor - which to use?
Mar 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #16 of 20
The MKPs seems like a great choice.. If i can find one that fits.
1uF / what voltage would fit inside?

Also farnell doesn't seem to carry any MKP series from WIMA - they have lots of MKS2(polyester) though. And they already have the most comprehensive catalogue locally.
frown.gif
Gotta check the local stores when I'm free.

You wouldn't have the model numbers of the polypropylene caps that fit, would you? :p

thanks btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 20
yep, MKS 02 (metalized polyester film) from wima is OK, your 2 options as I see it with WIMA are the 1uf MKS 02 in the 2.5 mm lead package 50vdc. below are measurements in mm
1.0 µF
5.5 (thick to you probably)
10 high
4.6 wide
2.5 between the leads

you dont need anywhere near 50VDC rating, but you dont really get low voltage film caps. the above are films, but are generally used for decoupling rather than filtering (would still beat electrolytics IMO) look for the MKS 02 PCM 2.5 package range for the above

but a better solution if you can find is the wima MKI 2 (PPS Metallized Polyphenylene-Sulphide) which is a higher performance cap and therefore recommended for filtering as well as decoupling or bypassing high speed circuits

for this

1.0 µF
7.2 (thick)
13 (tall)
7.2 (wide)
5 (lead spacing)

these will do a better job, will still fit side by side provided you dont use insane thick hookup wire. they have ver short leads, so I would recommend using some thin (~28awg) wire to hook them up to the pins, so you can have them lying flat on the 'floor' of the LOD housing. they wil only fit in the larger type LOD casings favored by ALO (and myself often)

these are MKI 2 in the PCM 5 package range.

dont get the grey vishay MKS, they suck for analogue signal. the vishay MKP in the blue casing would do, not sure which model because I tend to use wima or evox/rifa over vishay. evox rifa are hard to find though, easily found at elfa though. for them you want the same, PPS or PET (thats their polyester film model)

sorry dont have the exact model numbers for these mate, datasheets are your friend. farnell are convenient, but have a crap range and are very expensive. if you need some other stuff as well and are in europe, I highly recommend elfa

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #19 of 20
Bought a couple today..

Wima 1uF/50V MKS2
Wima 1uF/63V MKS2
Wima 0.68uF/63V MKS4 (sadly this can't fit in. Not sure why it's so much larger in size than it's MKS2 siblings)
Evox Rifa (Kemet?) 1.5uF/50V

All can fit inside the dock except the MKS4. Luckily my local store has a wider range than farnell
smily_headphones1.gif

No MKI though. And the MKPs were all too huge to fit inside the dock.

Anything know the sonic difference between MKS4 vs MKS2? Both are metallised polyester film as far as I can see.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything know the sonic difference between MKS4 vs MKS2? Both are metallised polyester film as far as I can see.

I was always under the impression that mks2 and mks4 construction were the same. mks2 with 5mm lead spacing and moderate values, while mks4 starts off bigger with much higher values.
i could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back