Input Capicitor - which to use?
Mar 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

juswyq

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought from the store a couple of capacitors to use in my diy imod LOD.

Before this I've been using some soniccaps which are great, but now I don't want to carry that huge box around so I'm trying to integrate the caps into my LOD.

I've bought a couple from the store:

1) Sanyo Oscon 33uF 20V
2) Sanyo Oscon 47uF 6.3V (Ideal size, they're really small)
3) Nichicon MUSE 47uF 25V
4) Rubycon ZL 47uF 25V
5) Elna Silmic 10uF 35V (No lower voltage/higher capacitance available)

Elna Silmic IIs/Cerafine of the appropriate values werent in stock either
frown.gif

I hate caps in the signal route and I hate electrolytic caps even more but they give the best size-farad ratio so they're the only type that can fit within my LOD.

Which would sound the best? Any opinions? I've heard good things about the oscons.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 20
ALO uses 47uF 6.3V Blackgate capacitor if i'm not wrong.. But I was mainly restricted due to lack of options at the local store. Was trying to find caps of a similar value but that's all they had.

I'm using a RSA Mustang (50k ohm input impedance i think)

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because ALO uses unnecessarily large capacitors doesn't mean you have to too.

QFT

Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALO uses 47uF 6.3V Blackgate capacitor if i'm not wrong.. But I was mainly restricted due to lack of options at the local store. Was trying to find caps of a similar value but that's all they had.

I'm using a RSA Mustang (50k ohm input impedance i think)

I would go to tangent's audio site and plug values into the calculators. You should be quite able to make that work very well with a reasonably sized (physical package size) film cap.

Black gates are often stated as being almost as nice as film caps... but you could have the film cap so why not?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because ALO uses unnecessarily large capacitors doesn't mean you have to too.

Does that statement also apply for the choice in wire gauge?

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT

I would go to tangent's audio site and plug values into the calculators. You should be quite able to make that work very well with a reasonably sized (physical package size) film cap.

Black gates are often stated as being almost as nice as film caps... but you could have the film cap so why not?

Because film caps won't fit within the dock.. haha. What's QFT?
Thanks for referring me to tangent's site. Will look into it.

Yup I'm trying to look for the blackgate 6.3v 47uF but they're really rare locally. I could get them from soniccraft but the handling fees for small orders + shipping cost to singapore make the price of each cap too high.

@Fitz: I'm just following ALO because it's the IMOD LOD that RWA recommends so I'm using the values as a baseline. I didn't know the values were too high.

Seeing as how the DC offset of an imod is only around 1.5V, and using the formula
rc-brownth.gif
(From tangent's site), theoretically a 1.59uF/1.5V-rated capacitor should be enough. Am I right to say that? How much 'spare capacity' should I allow for?

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 20
Please don't integrate them caps with your LOD as that will decrease performance. Why don't you go all the way like the cool kids do? I recommend those disk-like Duelund film capacitors, guaranteed for a quaking bass that will rumble your skull out and high as clear as a cloudless sky. Just make sure you have the proper housing for them, I recommend Hammond.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 20
Just checked them out. The prices of Duelunds are.. O_O

I do have a capacitor box made of 4.7uF Soniccaps already, just that I want something smaller and more portable. Quality has to be compromised for convenience
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by juswyq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's QFT?

QFT=Quoted For Truth
Quote:

Seeing as how the DC offset of an imod is only around 1.5V, and using the formula
rc-brownth.gif
(From tangent's site), theoretically a 1.59uF/1.5V-rated capacitor should be enough. Am I right to say that? How much 'spare capacity' should I allow for?

Exactly which size cap to use depends on where you mind the bass rolling off.

A 0.22uf cap gives a ~16hz -3db point with the 50Kohm pot. Indeed, it has effects out to a few octaves higher, but how much of what you listen to has sound in that range? Most bass is not as low as most people say it is.

A 0.47uf cap would probably be a very good compromise of physical package size and bass response.

Regarding voltage ratings: The lowest voltages you are going to find film caps in without a LOT of work is somewhere in the 50-75V range. Dont worry about it. If you do stay with an electrolytic cap I would add a few volts to the output voltage of the iPod DAC chip as a safety factor.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 20
you can bypass the electrolytics with some small films, even silver mica, in fact why not just go for some 1uf wima, vishay or evox/rifa MKP films? they'll fit in the LOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back