Innocent Pico ?
Jan 17, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
I want a great portable amp that will drive my Shure se530 iems as well as my Senn 650s to use w/an 80 gig iPod class. I hear the Pico/w dac is amazing and that the dac may be the best part of the equation but...if I don't use my computer as a source for music and my home rig has a built in dac already, is there any advantage/use for me to spend the extra $200 just to get the "grand prize Pico?" Am I missing something here?

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 17
Yes, I posted the first message incorrectly on the headphone forum. On my computer it now shows a "lock" icon on the left hand side so I assumed that the moderator chose to close my thread. If I knew how to move it to the amp forum or erase it completely from the headphone forum I would have done so. I guess you could call that "forum decorum."

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 17
It doesnt sound like you need the DAC section but I will say this. For 200 balloons the built-in DAC is a steal. I dont know if you have a laptop but having this thing in your laptop bag is very useful as well. If your strapped then forget it, but if you have 200 you can part with I say get it.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 17
For mere $200 you'll get a better than some desktop size DAC.
The Pico amp is great, but that's the quality of the DAC that makes it truly unique and exceptional.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 17
I would suggest that if you have $500 to spend on an amp and don't need a DAC that the Pico probably isn't your best option, especially if you aren't looking for a portable.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 17
who cares get it anyway like me...you can't go wrong with usb dac

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm totally in your boat. I rarely use my computer as a source, but the high quality of the DAC/amp combo led me to order mine with the option.

If you're confident you won't use it, then it's a no-brainer, although you might be able to find another amp you like more in the price range (although from the reviews I've seen of of just the amp portion, it's absolutely top-notch).

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 17
If you sit in front of your computer listening to your ipod instead using the Pico DAC then your missing out, the SQ is amazing. I'm listening to Frank Sinatra Live at the Sands 1966 and during the dialog I can hear the difference between the clang of a dinner plate and the ding of a glass. Its that good. The DAC is up sampling and using it this way produces better sound quality than just using itunes and your computer out or simply connecting your ipod. You go from 16bit/44.1 to 24bit/96, it makes the music silky smooth. Pull the trigger and don't look back.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 17
I'm hoping that I end up using it at the computer a lot more than I have in the past. At worst, it will work a lot better than my motherboard's built sound as a preamp for my PC speakers.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 17
I have only listened to music w/my home rig and a cd player as a source or with my iPod and shure 530 iems (I had a Headroom mico amp as a portable for awhile but didn't notice a huge difference in SQ when the shure's were unamped and traded the micro in to upgrade my home rig)
I have a Mac iBook laptop and use iTunes lossless files, but have never used phones directly out the computer. Does said basic iBook have enough as is to be in sync and scale w/Pico amp/dac or would I be saddled with wanting/needing a multitude of must have "extras." I have a deep passion for all forms of music and know Bo Diddley little about computers

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 17
I'm red with embarrassment. I'm sooo glad my son doesn't know about Headfi. I'd never hear the end about my computer illiteracy (I never do anyways.) It's so reassuring to know that once you all guide me toward quality gear, all I have to do is basically plug and play. That's a can do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back