Inline volume control question.
Oct 23, 2010 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

poliact

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, there has been something troubling me lately. I got my westone 3 recently, which came with a nifty inline volume control together. My source, is the sflo2. My question is, is it better to listen to the sflo2 via the lineout using the inline volume control, or is it better to listen via headphone out? Also, can the inline volume control subsitute a cheap amp on that matter? i also have a imod 4g on the same subject.

Hockz

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 3
An inline volume control will add series resistance to the amp/driver signal path.  In the case of the W3s, this can interact with the crossover network, working to change phase shifts and perhaps center frequencies.  Additionally, depending on the choice of resistive materials, you might have thermal noise added to the sound path.  You're better off with the HP output than using the line out with an in line volume control IMO.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 3

Thanks for your opinion. After testing from both outputs, i thought the l/o sounded abit wierd. Will stick to headphone out then~~
Quote:
An inline volume control will add series resistance to the amp/driver signal path.  In the case of the W3s, this can interact with the crossover network, working to change phase shifts and perhaps center frequencies.  Additionally, depending on the choice of resistive materials, you might have thermal noise added to the sound path.  You're better off with the HP output than using the line out with an in line volume control IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back