Initial impressions of the SinglePower MPX3 tube amp
Jul 11, 2003 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

arnett

Consigliere
I received my SinglePower MPX3 today.

Normally, I wouldn’t even think of making comments on an amp until it was fully broken in. But this is the first headphone amp I’ve owned that sounds great right out of the box. This thing sounds so kick-ass that I feel I can’t help but make a few initial impressions.

Please note that I have not compared this amp with another headphone amp. Actually, I don’t currently have another one to compare it to. But also note that I’ve heard my fair share of amps since I joined this little hobby in 2000.

I have rolled in a WWII-era Ken-Rad VT-231 black glass tube in the input slot and have kept the stock electro harmonix tubes as the drivers. I'm using the Beyerdynamic DT-880 headphones.

I remember Jude once saying that tubed headphone amps rarely sound as euphonic as tubed speaker amps. The MPX3 is a definite exception to this rule. The MPX3 is very, very warm. And yet quite detailed. It’s no doubt the smoothest amp I’ve ever owned. I think it’s dangerous combining this amp with the DT-880 because there is positively no distortion to speak of. You can find yourself cranking the volume to extreme levels quite easily.

I did not take notes on my initial impressions. I think it would be quite difficult to take notes and listen to the MPX3 at the same time. More often that not I was totally transfixed by the music I was listening to. Most other reviewers say that the MPX3 is pure music. I can definitely agree with this assessment. I would become so lost in the music that I’d inevitably come to the realization that I was listening to headphones thru a headphone amp.

After installing the tubes and firing the amp up, the first disc I played was the new Aimee Mann SACD Lost In Space. I was amazed at how much texture and resonance I could hear from the guitars on the title track. I’ve heard this SACD and CD many times but this was the first time I could really hear the true *timbre* of the guitars.

I put on the Bill Evans Waltz for Debby SACD next. Unbelievable sense of space and realism. This is a live recording and it was the first time I felt like I was there that day in 1961. The sound of the audience seemed so forward. With this amp it was much easier to hear the glasses clinking and the people chatting in the background.

Later, I put on Heart’s magic man and crazy on you from their greatest hits CD. This amp totally rocks! On another thread, I commented how the Beyerdynamic DT-880s had a dry midrange and thin sounding bass. Not any more. This amp seems to be the perfect compliment to the DT-880s slight leanness.

I also tried the MPX3 on some classical SACDs. Most notably Alan Civil playing the Mozart horn concertos on the Pentatone label. The sense of space from the hall was unreal. Again, it felt almost like I was there in London in 1971 when this SACD was recorded (actually, i wish i was in London right now
tongue.gif
). The reverberation of the hall was presented with amazing clarity and realism.

I had heard the SinglePower Supra at the Ann Arbor meet in May. The Supra is known as the MPX3's bigger and more expensive brother. From memory, the MPX3 seems to have a bit more treble energy than the supra. The level of detail the MPX3 (using the VT-231) can produce is stunning. But the amp is quite warm and euphonic at the same time. How much of this is due to the tubes and how much of this due to the amp itself I don’t know.

I only know that I’m blown away with the MPX3. Looks like I’ll be up all night listening to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
basshead.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 52
Great first impressions, I hope things get better and better for ya
smily_headphones1.gif

This is the copper one, right?

-dd3mon

Jul 11, 2003 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
This is the copper one, right?

The copper one is the CPX3.

I have the MPX3, also, and use the VT-231s. Your impressions are right on the money. This is one amp that lets the tubes shine through, and your impressions confirm that. It is both detailed and warm at the same time (the CPX3 is a bit warmer and less detailed), and does truly "make music."

Jul 11, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 52
Congrats on your amp. I've got an amp coming next week from Mikhail and this just makes me more excited to get it. I've got a set of WWII Slyvania VT-231's and a set of 1954 Hytrons coming with the amp. Everything I've heard on the amps sound has been positive.

Jul 11, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 52
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the Singlepower amps.The MPX3 is indeed a great amp.

Jul 11, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 52
I too recently received an MPX3, with Hytron tubes. I've hesitated to write a review because it's new, and because I do not have experience with a huge range of amps -- my own headphone amps have been the AirHead and the OBH-11.

But though I can't say much in comparative terms, in absolute terms this amp with these tubes has blown me away. It is just delightful to listen to. (I have so far used it with HD600s, and they sound better than ever.)

The sound has been so good (although Mikhail says it will be even better when the tubes break in) that I feel no curiosity whether it could sound better with different tubes. Nor have I felt the urge to plug in my etys to see how they sound with it, nor my Grados. I just enjoy. (Though maybe the sources could stand some uprgrading . . . )
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 52
I don't have it here at work (sadly) but I'd say it's about 9 x 9 x 9 inches, very roughly. It's a little too tall to fit in any of the lower shelves of my audio rack, so it gets a table to itself. It's worth it.

Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
What are the demensions of the CPX3 and the MPX3?

Jul 12, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 52
The CPX3 is (roughly) 6x6.25x5.75 (that includes the tube height).

The MPX3 is 8.5x9.5x8 (again, that includes tube height).

Jul 12, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 52
Congrats arnett...another Singlepower convert from the Detroit meet!!

I'd have bought one already, but I'm tapped out right now. However, I will certainly do so later. I was that impressed with what I heard at the meet.

Does anyone know if Mikhail has made any progress getting his web site up and going?

Jul 12, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 52
thanks for the responses, guys.

Mikhail also threw in another set of tubes. they are labeled as 6H8C. i did a search on audioasylum and found out that these are the old soviet 6SN7 types. then i looked at my invoice and noticed that they were listed as soviet NOS.

the date code is 12/82. i guess that's December of 1982. of course they are not burnt in yet but i didn't really like the sound of these. kind of harsh and a bit thin. they don't have the overall warmth of the electro harmonix 6SN7s.

i'm really impressed by the stock electro harmonix 6SN7s. they are the first stock tube i've heard that's acceptable. i'm hearing no harshness or grain at all. very warm sound with a slight treble roll-off.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 52
I may try this same tube setup when I finally get the supra Ive been anxiously awaiting.

I do feel Jude's remarks about the lack of lushness from tube amps dont carry over so much to headphone amps as they do from speaker amps, are very accurate as well. VKA even mentioned my Cary as somewhat more dynamic sounding than his dct-1 which he loves.

Cant wait!

k.s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back