Initial impressions... ER-4P, ATH-W2002, NC-10, Bose Quietcomfort
Feb 28, 2002 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

meatman

New Head-Fier
Just a few quick notes based on a bit of listening :

Etymotic ER-4P : With the right inserts they are comfortable and sound AMAZING. They are (as I've read oh so often) fiddly to get sealed. When they're sealed right they have a decent amount of bass, and are very balanced. I've noticed they're VERY accurate. I prefer a bit more bass. The Ety's provide what's there and nothing more. They are revealing though, so a bad recording SOUNDS bad. More isolation than any headphone I've ever used. Flying will never be the same, can't WAIT to get on a plane with 'em. Highs are very extended and airy, a bit bright. Lows are wicked fast and decently weighty.

AT ATH-W2002 : Wow. The bottom end is awesome... goes VERY deep but very controlled. High end is a bit bright to my ears but very airy and silky. These do NOT sound good with the D-777. Midband very very clean. It's so easy to hear into the recording with these and hear reverb tricks, edits, studio reverb, etc. With the DVP-9000ES they're incredible... these were made for SACD. Listening briefly with the D-25S at work indicates a better match than the D-777. D-777 sounds very aggressive through these headphones, with what sounds like a peak at around 2kHz (a range I'm very very sensitive to).

Sony NC-10 : BLECCCH. Veiled highs, lumpy muddy bass and no deep bass with the N/C function engaged... N/C function doesn't work quite as well as the Bose. I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes and took 'em off. These are going to the wife.

Bose QuietComfort : Basically sound like what I'd expect to hear if I turned the bass and treble controls up (much like I used to when I was young
biggrin.gif
). Bass is boomy, seems to be a 50-60Hz bump but not loose enough to be annoying, it's not treacly slow but there's a LOT of it, a bit over the top. Dark high end, a bit shut in but smooth. There's not much of a midband to speak of... I mean it's there but... it's not there. IMHO they don't commit any MAJOR sins. Sorry, Bose bashers, but they don't 'suck'. The N/C function is effective, but nothing like the Etymotics. They do a decent job of passive isolation, the active part does a great job of reducing low-frequency 'boom' and 'roar' from ambient noise. If you want to hear them at work, sit near a central air conditioning indoor fan unit and turn them on. Not nearly as good as the Ety ER-4P but much better than the Sony NC-10.

Feb 28, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 11
these are MarkL's ex-phones so they probably have ~115 hours on 'em by now. I've never heard R10's so I can't compare them but they're certainly the best phones I have ever heard. It's tough to go back to the Ety's after hearing 'em!

Feb 28, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by meatman
these are MarkL's ex-phones so they probably have ~115 hours on 'em by now. I've never heard R10's so I can't compare them but they're certainly the best phones I have ever heard. It's tough to go back to the Ety's after hearing 'em!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm also an Ety (and HD600) fan, but I have to admit that they've had little use since the arrival of the W2002s. To my ear, the ATs provide all that remarkable Ety detail and clarity while adding the best bass reproduction I've heard in a phone. It's not that the Senns and Etys aren't super phones--they most assuredly are. It's just that I prefer what I hear with the ATs.

It would be hard for most to think of the W2002s as a bargain, but I honestly believe they are worth every penny of their price and then some.

Feb 28, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Glad you are enjoying them, meatman, and thanks for bravely posting your comments!

Now, about that amp you don't have....

Cheers.

markl

Mar 1, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 11
I am a college student and school has drained the majority of my moola. I want the w2002's so bad but i can't say they are even close to my range. I was wondering since you guys have your w2002's if you might want to sell your umm er4p's, I'll be your best friend...honest. haha. I am willing to spend a decent amount on them, sooo if you are willing, or know anyone willing please consider it....thanks my email is kniwa@wooster.edu soooo well that's abou tit. If your willing to sell w2002's i'm open to that too ???? cheers

Mar 1, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 11
I posted a WTB Etymotic ER4P too, and I have the W2002.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess most people hang onto those because no matter what there are times when ultimate portability and isolation are preferred, even if they're not your favorite headphone.

Mar 1, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Have you met my friend? His name is Notta Chance.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, there's no way I'd get rid of the ER-4Ps. IMHO the ATH-W2002's and the Etys are a perfect combo. I get wonderful hour-after-hour listenability at home and ultra-portable quality that's good enough that it doesn't feel like a step down from the ATH-W2002. I shudder when I remember the days of thinking my Aiwa HP-V161s sounded GOOD!

Mar 1, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

ultra-portable quality that's good enough that it doesn't feel like a step down from the ER-4P.

What is not a step down? The W2002? Or do you mean the ER-4P is good enough not to be a step down from the W2002?

edit: umm nevermind it's fixed now
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 1, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by meatman
IMHO the ATH-W2002's and the Etys are a perfect combo. I get wonderful hour-after-hour listenability at home and ultra-portable quality that's good enough that it doesn't feel like a step down from the ATH-W2002.

Exactly my sentiments, Meatman. The only base left uncovered by the W2002/Ety 4 combination is when there is a need for easy portability but not the isolation of the Etys. For example, when waiting for an important phone call in a distant hotel room. In this case, I haven't found a solution better than the KSC35s, but they definitely are a long step down.

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 11
How about the EX70's with ER-EQ? They don't isolate too much
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back