Initial impression on Sony NW-E407
Oct 23, 2005 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally got my NW-E407 at Best Buy this week. Was on sale for $179.99 CAD (about $150 USD). First impressions:
Sonicstage is a POS when handling VBR files. And ATRAC3 @ 132 kbps sucks. Way too much clipping in the bass. The MP3 File Manager, although clunky, is way better than Sonicstage when moving stuff to the player. A bit slow to fill up the player too, but it is possible to make a copy of what's on the playr on your hard drive.
The player itself is decent. It is very small, very compact in size. You can carry it anywhere. The jog wheel is a bit flimsy, I admit, but it won't fall off anytime soon, in my opinion. The screen is basically unreadable in the sun, although you can use the pouch to cover up the screen a bit and make it somewhat readable. In low lighting and regular lighting, however, it kicks ass. Very sharp and clear, and looks very nice.
The sound is also very good. Using Lame @ V4 produces very good quality music. The amp is a little bit hissy, but it's only noticeable under quiet situations and using my ER-6is. Gets very loud, for those using regular earbuds. Earbuds included suck, although there's a very nifty extension cable which allows my Eggos to have a perfect cable length for me.
Overall, for the price, I think this is a very good deal. Better deal for me than the Muvo N200 1GB, which is selling at Best Buy for the same price right now. Longer battery life and style puts this over the N200, IMO.

Pics:
picture0043an.jpg

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 10
How do these sound at 256 kbps? Would they rival the SP codec sound signature I have with my MiniDisc units? (theoretically, they should)

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Bestbuy didn't had any 507's? Sonystyle lists them even cheaper than 407's and the 507's come with an FM tuner.

Oct 23, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Nope, Best Buy up here didn't have NW-E507s when I went to get my unit. And Nw-E507s up here are $20 more expensive than the 407s, comparing regular prices.

And no, I haven't tried 256 kbps and comparing them aganst the SP sound signature, although I think 256 kbps would be better. Don't know though, been a long time since I owned any MD unit.

And yes, it does look good does it? Although ome of my friends say a Zen Micro looks better. I have to disagree on that point....

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Hmmmm....Just discovered a horrible flaw on the Sony. It seems it likes to shut down randomly. Using VBR MP3s at the moment, and using 2.00 firmware. Anyone know what's wrong?
If it keeps doing that, I may be forced to return it on Tuesday and get a Zen Micro, since I can get it pricematched for $160 CAD. I would hate to do that.

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter
Hmmmm....Just discovered a horrible flaw on the Sony. It seems it likes to shut down randomly. Using VBR MP3s at the moment, and using 2.00 firmware. Anyone know what's wrong?
If it keeps doing that, I may be forced to return it on Tuesday and get a Zen Micro, since I can get it pricematched for $160 CAD. I would hate to do that.

I have an E407 as well,
but I never experienced the "random shutdown."
I use VBR MP3 too,
and I am using the stock firmware.

Note that when you push the jog wheel to hold,
the player will shut down when all the songs in the playlist had been played.
But I'm guessing that's not your case...

Possibly a defective unit?

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Hmmmm.....
When it restarts randomly, it seems to have a "Data Access" screen pop up for a sec. Exact screen you see when you use the reset button. Anyone else have this problem?

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 10
never experienced any functioning problems with mine...the only time I've seen 'Data Access' is when I connect it to the computer.

never pressed the rest button before either...

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
How do these sound at 256 kbps? Would they rival the SP codec sound signature I have with my MiniDisc units? (theoretically, they should)

Comparing on MD vs HIMD

SP is 292kps. HiSP is 256kps. Theres a tiny difference, but its very close. I suspect it would be similar on this 407 too. However different units sound different because of the electronics used. So the 407 might not "sound like" a MD at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back