Initial Chazz Report
May 18, 2004 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

the terabyte

100+ Head-Fier
after a rocky start (which i'll detail if/when i write an actual review), the chazz is alive. theres still ~4mV of noise in the left channel, but this is inaudible with the K1000s (i'm still going to track it down as it's an issue with other headphones).

other than that, it sounded great once it warmed up. not particularly slow as detailed in the 6moons review (there was still great bass detail and texture), but perhaps the highest frequencies are rolled off (cymbal territory). this doesn't mean that it's a dark sounding amp; it seems quite balanced, although i'll measure it to see for sure. i did note that the metallic character of the k1000s is all but gone, and violins now sound much more realistic. however, the flip side of this is that i electric guitars no longer sound as "electric" as they once did. perhaps its just because i was used to the raw, almost indescribable power that they gave guitars on a SS amp and this new sound is how it's supposed to be, but who knows.

once my K340s arrive, i'll find out how high impedance, relatively high sensitivity phones do, but for know i don't think it mated well with low impedance high sensitivity phones (7506s), but i'll try it with some grados and etys once i have a chance.

after my initial listening, i put it all together and moved it into my listening area for some real, critical evaluation. the first test was Holst's The Planets, specifically Uranus: The Magician. theres a part near the end (no timer on the turntable) with just an amazingly full tone, low bass, midrange, and then treble on top. when done well, it just sounds so satisfying and powerful. with the chazz running at 3/4 volume, my section approached, but when it happened, i was horribly disappointed. the trumpets on top were crunchy, the amp was majorly clipping. turning the volume back down to 1/2 solved this, but the level was too low for it to be satisfying.

once i try it with other phones, i'll write up something more substantial (with pics), comparing it to an amp people have actually heard (the grace 901), but until then i would recommend this unit only for those who do not listen at high levels to bass-y music. it is definitly true that the K1000s like tubes, however, the midrange flows like water, and the treble is not harsh at all, so fans of "lighter music" may still like the amp with the K1ks.

note: the chazz was connected to the tape outs on my technics sa-5160, which was connected to my philips 312. my "reference" amp is the technics (as funny as that sounds).

EDIT: this chazz is configured with the base options and KT88 tubes.

May 18, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 14
Very cool, TB! Congrats on completing your project (for the most part, anyway).

I've been curious about that amp, and those KT88 tubes. Sounds like it is a decent match for the K1000 owners who listen at moderate volumes. Keep us posted as time goes on, and things change/progress. And, as always, we'd love to see pics!

How would you rate the assembly of this project?

May 19, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Very cool, TB! Congrats on completing your project (for the most part, anyway).

I've been curious about that amp, and those KT88 tubes. Sounds like it is a decent match for the K1000 owners who listen at moderate volumes. Keep us posted as time goes on, and things change/progress. And, as always, we'd love to see pics!

How would you rate the assembly of this project?

yes, for anyone looking for a powerful tube headphone amp, this might be the ticket. i haven't heard the OTL32, so i can't really compare it to the closest competition, unfortunately.

assembly was not bad. i've done DIY tube kits before (namely Dr. Peppard's Ear+) and i have to say that his directions were much, much better than these. not only were several part values changed between the directions and the pieces i received, but there were critical steps that were omitted or not emphasized.

the other issue was that several parts, including the rectifier and driver tubes, were not included by mistake. fit problems were also present in that the power switch could not fit over the spindle, et cetera. once finally assembled, i discovered that the choke was broken, and had to mail it back to hong kong on my dollar to get a new one. all in all, it wasn't a particularly pleasant kit experience, especially when one compares it to the great job Dr. Peppard did with his.

May 19, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for taking the plunge.

It's too bad that the Chazz's elementary assembly difficulty is exaggerated on their site.

Waiting patiently for the pr0n.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

May 19, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Thanks for taking the plunge.

It's too bad that the Chazz's elementary assembly difficulty is exaggerated on their site.

Waiting patiently for the pr0n.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

it isn't that the difficulty is exaggerated, theres nothing especially complex about it. if the directions were free from errors and all the parts were included and working, it would have been on par with what their site says.

May 19, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 14
Weird I thought I responded to this thread already.

Thanks for the initial impressions. Were you running the amp in ultralinear or triode mode? Keep us updated when it burns in.

May 19, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Weird I thought I responded to this thread already.

Thanks for the initial impressions. Were you running the amp in ultralinear or triode mode? Keep us updated when it burns in.

i'm using ultralinear, as triode can't begin to power the k1000s. i went ahead and took some pics for all you visual people:

chazz1.jpg

chazz2.jpg

chazz3.jpg

chazz4.jpg

a bit out of focus, sorry. wires will be played with to reduce noise which is why they're all over the place right now
chazz5.jpg

chazz6.jpg

left channel noise (5mV/div, 2ms/div)
chazz7.jpg

right channel noise
chazz8.jpg

May 19, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the pics, TB. Very nice job, if I may say so.

Btw, I used to have that same Philips turntable "back in the day". Very nice 'table for the money (great tonearm), as I recall. Cool solenoids on the speed switch.

May 19, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 14
The spec says 9W in UL and 5 in triode. Do you notice clipping much with tubes?

Hmm... I also wonder how loud you listen.

May 19, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The spec says 9W in UL and 5 in triode. Do you notice clipping much with tubes?

Hmm... I also wonder how loud you listen.

i haven't gotten it to clip on anything but that one part of that one track (i've never really heard anything as "difficult" as this section in terms of detecting clipping, also), unless you were speaking in general to my sensitivity to clipping with tubes, in which case i've never heard it before. i'd hope that my listening levels weren't too loud for the sake of my ears. i don't have a spl meter or anything, but i'd say i listen at about half "real" volume or so. so if someone was singing, unamped, about 15 feet in front of me, i listen at half that.

May 19, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Thanks for the pics, TB. Very nice job, if I may say so.

Btw, I used to have that same Philips turntable "back in the day". Very nice 'table for the money (great tonearm), as I recall. Cool solenoids on the speed switch.

it was certainly great for my money (free). once i get this whole amp issue straightened out, i'll probably be on the prowl for a replacement, as i can hear some rumble from the motor if the room is completely quiet.

May 19, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 14
just adding things as i go, i'm listening to one of my best recordings, Vivaldi's Four Seasons. on my mediocre speakers if i closed my eyes it would sound exactly like the 1st violin was in the room with me, completely amazing. until now i haven't felt this with the K1000s, but for some reason it sounds perfect with the chazz, so natural.

May 23, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi terabyte,

Great to hear your headphone amp is up and running, cant believe how power hungry those K1000s are though
eek.gif
, I would have thought the 9 watts of ultralinear power would be more than enough to keep them singing! Have you tried hookin them up to a 100W OTL tube amp!?
k1000smile.gif

It sounds like a good upgrade would be to roll your output tubes to something a bit beefier like the new Electro Harmonix KT90's, a bit like the KT100's but sound far superior, I’m sure your K’s would thank you for it.

http://www.tnbstore.com.tw/photo/sovtek/eh-kt90.jpg

hesky

May 23, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 14
The problem with K1000's is that they are both inefficient and high
resistance. That 9 watt number is only with headphones that have
a 30 ohm impedance. The K1000's are 4 times that number, hence
the power that amplifier can deliver at 120 ohms is only 2.25 watts
in UL mode. This is why people sometimes go with big amplifiers
to drive these things. My latest amplifier can put out 20vrms into
any load including k1000's which is 3.3 real watts.

Notice that the spec on the k1000 is 1 watt maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back