Informal Survey: Best Drug Songs
Apr 16, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 47
Almost forgot.

Kenny Rogers is still trying to forget

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) -- Kenny Rogers & The First Edition

Apr 16, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder
Can anyone recommend a good Jefferson Airplane album to get started with?

My tastes range from Dylan to early Bowie to Queen to Pink Floyd to Metallica.

Thanks,
--Jatinder

If you are looking for a good example of their music, check out "2400 Fulton Street", a double CD.

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 47
re: Jefferson Airplane

Well, I guess somebody's got to say it. <gulp> I think I really dig their Starship material best
evil_smiley.gif
. Muhah hah hah hah!

Apr 16, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #21 of 47
Cream -- Spoonfull -- from their Wheels of Fire -- Ginger Baker at his best

The Who -- Acid Queen

Jefferson Airplane -- White Rabbit

Beatles -- Strawberry Fields

The list goes on and on........

John

Apr 16, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #22 of 47
what drug does "strawberry fields" refer to? i searched for this song's "meaning" and got this:

Quote:

Lennon received his inspiration for the title from a Salvation Army orphanage known as Strawberry Field. It was a large Victorian building located on Beaconsfield Road, in Woolton, about a five minute walk from Lennon's home on Menlove Avenue. It would be here that John used to play among the trees, and attended events which his Aunt Mimi took him to. This song was Lennon's attempt to map out the process of consciousness and understanding, through lyrical images. When he played at Strawberry Field, it was a place where he could be alone with his thoughts, and let his imagination take over. When he says in the song, No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low, he is saying his feelings are set apart from his contemporaries. Originally, he used the word "wavelength," but changed it to "tree," so as not to appear pretentious

some drug songs:
comfortably numb (floyd)
lucy in the sky... (beatles)
god smack (a.i.c.)
space oddity (bowie)

Apr 16, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #23 of 47
Directly there is not a connection between the song and any drug that I know of. When I selected it I was thinking more about the influence of LSD and the San Francisco cultural changes had on their music. Perhaps I should change it to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

John

Apr 16, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 47
Best Airplane albums?

Surealistic Pillow and Volunteers.

Apr 16, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #25 of 47
The Band Spacemen 3 from the late '80s/early '90s lablled their music as "taking drugs to make music to take drugs to". They were very spacy, employing lots of early electronic instruments combined with guitars.

Later, one of the Spacemen 3 formed Spiritualized, who also make spacy/druggy albums. I have "Ladies an Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space", and the new one "Let It Come Down". They are GREAT headphone albums whether or not you're stoned!
wink.gif

markl

Apr 17, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #28 of 47
"Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" from Mary Poppins

Apr 17, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #29 of 47
Twigs and Seeds by Jesse Winchester. ( I think)

Have Another Drink and Demon Alcohol by the Kinks ( hey, alcohol's a drug too )

Mother's Little Helper and Sister Morphine by the Rolling Stones

Cold Turkey by John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll by Ian Drury and the Blockheads

Apr 17, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #30 of 47
The Byrd's -- "8 Miles High" & "Mister Spaceman"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back