Info on Creek OBH-21 and OBH-21 SE amps.
Mar 4, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #46 of 90
Not at all red... I appreciate your honesty... at least you've actually heard one, rather than going on pure specualtion! <putting on flameproof suit, and hiding in a bombproof bunker
wink.gif
>

I'm amazed you find the Meta to be warmer... although obviously the specs are wildly varied on the metas, but my own 'budget' one sounds quite cold by comparison...

...I must get a maxed out meta... one day
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #47 of 90
in fairness i did not do an a/b comparison, but the meta42 really clicked with my cans, especially the grado sr125 and cd1700.

Mar 4, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #48 of 90
Quote:

I'm amazed you find the Meta to be warmer

It's all in the op-amp. Put an OPA627 in your META42, and it'll be plenty "warm". Put an AD8512 in, and you're thrust out of the den into the brisk February air. No kidding. Op-amps really do vary that wildly in tone.

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #49 of 90
I thought you said you're done w/ this thread.....Dun~~can.
...-_-;;.........and I'm here butt naked nacing around.......^^..and here I'm babbling again!!!!!!
What my real intention was to give it a slap to the Creek(not you!!) and let it out all the way so that we can get some catharsis and at the same time inform the falks who might consider purchasing this one. I believe it was useful info. to the smart and savvy ones.....And I also believe lot of falks who click by this thread can't help but noticing....something......
are you working for the Creek?......by any chance?...cause it just doesn't make sense for me to believe that there is someone so desperately defending the his overpriced purchace and reacting w/ such a hystery....... As a customer, you should be upset to the Creek instead of me!!! don't ya think?.......

Anyway chill-out man!!!!and I do apologize for anything dagger to your pride if I ever did......

cheers
clamchowder

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #50 of 90
I didn't get to directly compare my META42 to the OBH-21, but my initial reaction to the OBH-21 was that it seemed drier and colder. However, I frequenly prefer dry and cold. I found my META42 too warm with my W1000, so I bought silver interconnects that gave me a more analytical sound. I only listened to the 21 for about 30 seconds though, so my opinion is virtually worthless, and I refuse to say that I found it better or worse than the META42. However, there is a significant chance that I will go back and hear it (and the Sugden Headmaster) again in the next couple of weeks, so maybe I will form a more definite opinion. Actually, I found that the Sugden Headmaster sounded quit a bit like my META42, but that definitely requires further listening...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here's my META42's basic specs:

AD8620
2x EL2001 input
2x EL2001 output
1x EL2001 ps
2x 1uF Wima MKP-10 Polypropelene Cap
2x 2200uF Cerafine Electrolytic Cap
2x 220uF Cerafine Electrolytic Cap
2x 6.8uF Wima Electrolytic Cap
Cardas GRFA RCAs
Neutrik locking jack
Elpac Linear Power Supply
Alps Blue Potentiometer
Vishay resistors

Mar 5, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #51 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by clamchowder
And I also believe lot of falks who click by this thread can't help but noticing....something......
are you working for the Creek?......by any chance?...cause it just doesn't make sense for me to believe that there is someone so desperately defending the his overpriced purchace and reacting w/ such a hystery....... As a customer, you should be upset to the Creek instead of me!!! don't ya think?.......

Sorry, but I find that offensive...

Do you KNOW what op-amps the Creeks, old AND new use ~ The 21 and 21SE differ in their op-amps, and the 21SE AFAIK uses op-amps that weren't even in existence when the 11SE was made... do you know the schematics inside out for BOTH variations of this amp?

I do NOT work for Creek... and YOU to the best of my knowledge have not HEARD the unit... If you have then please tell me what you compared it to... i'd be most interested

The sound may blow to many people here when they finally HEAR it when compared to amps costing many times more, but who gives you the god given right to decide that fact without HEARING it????

I await your response... although as said, i've grown very tired of this thread... If I can listen to my CD1700s and chill out, then that is my perogative... isn't it!

Mar 5, 2003 at 12:21 PM Post #52 of 90
First off,one has NE series from BB(TI) and the other has LM series(which Jan highly acclaime it before he turns to the op27 series from BB) from National Semi. And Yes!!!!latter is better Opamp than former in spec. as well as sound... but biggest diff. is A-class operation through current biasing....It really does makes diff. in sound. I just hope you are capable to understand what I'm talking about..and If you really think it's the Opamps that change all that diff. in the Amps. then I introduce you to the heavens of All the opamps. Try TI, AD, and NS...
Under several bucks, you can experience almost every Opamps they put on the market.....and you know what~~ you can even ask some samples from them for free of charge...ain't that neet~~~~0.......!!!!

secondly, If you purchased the Creek, then you know that it's been on show-windows of audioshop in the shoppingmall long enough before they start advertizing this on the web or megazines....I have no idea why they do this kinda rather unusual tactics about this product on the market, but anyway I did have chance to have a good look and listening, quite a while ago, through arkam72t and HD600 w/ DIY-silver intercable combination which shop owner set it up for promotion wise.
And My impression was just THAT!!!! I described before....
Probably it just me~~though... Anyway as the some comes to say: judging the sound is totally subjective and everyone is entitled to it....I judge it on my point of view. and NO emotion or hard feeling involved.... Obviously you seem very involved..though....

Thirdly, Have you ever tried other Amps???.....at least like META42???
which I believe it's way step ahead and superior in every aspect....to the OBH.......
If yo didn't~~~ then I suggest you go ahead and try One... It's not that expensive either......
On my experience, even though, more or less there was subtle diff. in sound, META42 was META42, CORDA was CORDA,and OBH was OBH,,,,,,, no matter what Opamps I swapped around.....

Por ultima!!!! I believe this is good enough answer fo ya !!!! and I think I've done my job.... So I'm really done w/ this thread.... No point doing this any more!!!!! So!!! go ahead~~~troll on~~~
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

cheers
clamchowder

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #53 of 90
Quote:

Thirdly, Have you ever tried other Amps???.....at least like META42???
which I believe it's way step ahead and superior in every aspect....to the OBH.......
If yo didn't~~~ then I suggest you go ahead and try One... It's not that expensive either......

From my profile: Quote:

Headphone Amp Inventory JMT Meta42, JMT Altoids Amp, Creek OBH-21SE and Marantz PM66SE-KI... Have Owned QED MB-45 & Musical Fidelity X-Can V2

So... Yes, I have heard other amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I do know that the Creek isn't perfect, I've not once said it is.. but thats the thing with the whole of the audio game... compromise and synergy... and I like the way it sounds with my CD Player, IC and headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Different Strokes For Different Folks - an old addage from Vertigo_1 that rings very true
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #54 of 90
phew! duncan lays the smackdown. i never thought i'd live to see the day.

clamchowder is neck and neck with scrypt for the wackiest use of the english language prize at head-fi.

Mar 5, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #55 of 90
Quote:

I thought you said you're done w/ this thread.....Dun~~can.
...-_-;;.........and I'm here butt naked nacing around.......^^..and here I'm babbling again!!!!!!

Yeah...but this "wacky" quote was a bit troubling!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
phew! duncan lays the smackdown. i never thought i'd live to see the day.

lol...

Oops,

Sorry... I'll go back and sit in my corner now
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #58 of 90
I owned and enjoyed my Creek OBH-11SE for a couple years. It was a wonderful amp. It introduced me to a whole new world of headphone Hi-Fi. It allowed me for the first time to notice differences between interconnects. It was obviously not perfect, but it was a great step up from a number of alternatives.

I've never heard the OBH21SE, but I'm sure Mike is no fool, and he has demonstrated that he has a good ear with other products he's designed. From the pictures, it looks like a fair product for a fair price at retail.

So until I hear it for myself, I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt based on Creek's track record.

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #59 of 90
Hello Kevin!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for rescuing this thread man! Haven't heard from you in a long time! How are you doing!? Hey, I really appreciate you posting a positive post here and it's great reading post from positive people once in a while. Sorry for missing your birthday thread. I still wish you a happy birthday two months late!
biggrin.gif

God Bless!
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
So until I hear it for myself, I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt based on Creek's track record.

As Alex says... Thanks for rescuing the thread Kevin
smily_headphones1.gif

Very good words there
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back