Info on Creek OBH-21 and OBH-21 SE amps.
Mar 28, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #76 of 90
" Sigh, did you really have to dredge up a two year old thread to ask that? "

rolleyes.gif
As I'm a newbie here and tried to get some orientation what amp to buy, yes.
The creek amps are very common here in Germany, sometimes the only headphone amp a dealer has in stock.
But now I'm a lot wiser (after just so few days, thanks to this great community here
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Anyways creek headamps are not for me, they are certainly no "bang for the bucks", even if it's just 200 Euro.

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
rolleyes.gif
As I'm a newbie here and tried to get some orientation what amp to buy, yes.

Try a new thread, they're surprisingly inexpensive!
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
Anyways creek headamps are not for me, they are certainly no "bang for the bucks", even if it's just 200 Euro.

why not? what's wrong (especially with the SE version) and what counteroffer do you have? Please elaborate a bit.
confused.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdWiser
why not? what's wrong (especially with the SE version) and what counteroffer do you have? Please elaborate a bit.
confused.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
I've heard that the Creek head amplifiers don't have the quality of the Corda head amps by Jan Meier (if you decide to buy something expensive), though the OBH 21 SE is certainly not bad.

Anyways I decided not to go the $$ or €€ way, at the price of 200 Euro I can do a very decent DIY project either based on the PPA or the WNA Mk II even including crossfeed filters and very highgrade components.

And then there are very tempting amps made in China like the G&W TW-J1 that cost only about 100 Euro and seem to be very well made, that's also an alternative even if some parts like an ALP pot or a Neutrik headphone jack might be a necessary upgrade.

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #80 of 90
I've been using the OBH-21 for more than 2 years now and have had great listening experience with all the cans I previously owned and still own. I also recently upgraded its OBH-1 PSU to a regulated model (similar specs to the OBH-2, with double the current delivery) and performance was further improved. From a non-critical viewpoint, I can actually enjoy listening for longer periods and the amp has even better detail resolution while still retaining its trademark sound. It has great synergy with Grado cans indeed, but pairing it with a Senn yields very satisfying results too.

I'll be getting the HeadFive, hopefully by July, so it will be interesting to see how the Creek compares then. Yes, I am surprised at how few people have actual experience with the OBH-21 here (and even fewer like me who have lived with the amp for a considerable amount of time). The few reviews I have found on the OBH-21 have been favourable. It is a pity no experienced reviewer here has done one on it.

Apr 26, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Hello fellow headfiers!

The following info has just been posted at Creekaudio's website:

http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/news/index.asp

The following questions remain unanswered, though I've just e-mailed Creek with an inquiry. (I'll post any new data as soon as arrives in my mailbox):

1. What are all the basic differences between the OBH-11 SE and the OBH-21 SE?

2. Does the OBH-21 SE contain better capacitors than its predecessor the OBH-11 SE?

3. Does the OBH-21 standard (non SE) edition of this amp contain only one headphone jack like the standard OBH-11? (see 'EDIT' comments below).

4. Will the OBH-11 SE be discontinued in favor of the OBH-21 SE?

If anyone has auditioned any of those new devices, a review would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Well, by reading the text quoted above more carefully I realized one can infer that the standard version OBH-21 also drives two pairs of headphones. Sorry about that. My guess is that the OBH-21 and the OBH-21 SE look absolutely identical externally speaking. Perhaps the standard edition OBH-21 is powered by a walwart power supply, though I'm not yet sure about this.

From what I've found out about it, The later creek's went to a class A design. They put a good sound from what I've read. I'd like to a~b one with
my slightly customized OBH 11.

http://static.flickr.com/46/134461580_90065400da_o.jpg

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Does not a Class A unit operate hot? In that case, since mine runs very cool, I have my doubts.

How do you rate the sound from your Creek? How does it compare to others you've heard?

Ben.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #84 of 90
I don't know if I'm 'qualified' to comment as I am not too savvy with 'reviewing' and I have no experience with other headamps (hence my waiting for the HeadFive to arrive and finally having a reference with fellow headfiers).

That said, I am happy with the Creek. It has plenty of power for all the headphones I've owned (whether driving from one jack only or both simultaneously), does not seem to introduce any particular sonic signature (definitely not warm-sounding, if that helps) and neither does it favour any particular brand of headphones (slight preference with Grados but very slight). There is also no hiss whatsoever when volume is turned up (from zero and further up) and everything remains coherent. I did change its stock OBH-1 PSU with a 3rd-party regulated model (24V, 1000mA) so that likely plays a major role in affecting the unit's performance too.

Perhaps you can shoot me a few questions and that way we can have a better picture how the Creek performs. I'd be happy too to write a comparison when the HeadFive arrives.

Regards.

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I don't know if I'm 'qualified' to comment as I am not too savvy with 'reviewing' and I have no experience with other headamps (hence my waiting for the HeadFive to arrive and finally having a reference with fellow headfiers).

That said, I am happy with the Creek. It has plenty of power for all the headphones I've owned (whether driving from one jack only or both simultaneously), does not seem to introduce any particular sonic signature (definitely not warm-sounding, if that helps) and neither does it favour any particular brand of headphones (slight preference with Grados but very slight). There is also no hiss whatsoever when volume is turned up (from zero and further up) and everything remains coherent. I did change its stock OBH-1 PSU with a 3rd-party regulated model (24V, 1000mA) so that likely plays a major role in affecting the unit's performance too.

Perhaps you can shoot me a few questions and that way we can have a better picture how the Creek performs. I'd be happy too to write a comparison when the HeadFive arrives.

Regards.

i think you can really help me Zorander because i too own a pair of k601s. what music do you like when using the amp with k601 and how are they? what do you don't like/dislike or hate about the amp?
thanks

May 1, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #86 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
i think you can really help me Zorander because i too own a pair of k601s. what music do you like when using the amp with k601 and how are they? what do you don't like/dislike or hate about the amp?
thanks

As far as I can hear, the amp does not really colour the sound in any noticable way (perhaps a touch of coldness, due to its strong details retrieval). Given this trait unfortunately, the lean-sounding K601 remains lean-sounding on the amp. The K601 sounds wonderful with strings and pianos, and it sounds just as wonderful (and more effortless) when hooked to the OBH-21.

I like the fact that the OBH-21 comes with 2 headphone jacks (and hooking just one or two headphones at the same time does not affect quality at all). Sometimes I wish though that each jack has its own independent volume control so I won't have to disconnect the more efficient/sensitive phone when listening to the other one, i.e. Listening to the K601 at a moderately loud volume also means that the MS-2 connected to the other jack is literally 'screaming'. But that is probably asking too much at the price and that is about the only dislike, if it can be called such, I have.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back