Influence of earpads on sound
Jun 20, 2006 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dentomat

New Head-Fier
I read that different earpads can influence the sound of phones. Beyerdynamic even mentions that on their "Manufaktur" webpage, that choosing different materials can alter the sound.
How does that come?
Is it possible to "correct" sound deficiencies of phones by changing pads? Especially to get a fuller bass out of my 501s and 880s (2003 model). Has somebody experimented with that?

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 6
I have. I prefer the Beyers with the velour pads. With the plastic type pad, it's slightly more 'brittle' sounding.

I'm just about to swap the plastic pads on my Sennheiser HD25-1 for velour and I'm hopoing that they don't go any duller as a result.

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 6
No Ian, it is a good move........as is switching to a coper-cored 25-13 cable. I have 2 in the series outfitted the same way.

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
No Ian, it is a good move........as is switching to a coper-cored 25-13 cable. I have 2 in the series outfitted the same way.

Thanks - that's good news. I don't want the sound to go any duller. I was tempted to change the cable but they're 10 footers - too long for portable.

Maybe I'm thinking more in terms of what it could do to the treble rather than what it could do for the bass. (ie - clean it up so that the treble is 'cleaner'?) I wasn't keen on the DT880 with pleather pads though.

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Just got the pads funnily enough, for the HD25-1. What a struggle to get the little buggers on. I came out in a sweat.

Absolutely right. The sound has changed. Has a reall slam down below and nice clear top. I don't know whether it's placebo, but I feel like I'm listening inside a 'drier' acoustic so the headphones are sharper focussed. For small headphones, they really give a belt in the bass region.

Ian

Jun 20, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 6
it can make a significant change... depending on the headphone and earpads switched from / to.

Some earpads offer a more air-tight seal, some are less porous, and some space the drivers differently from the ears. Generally it can be one of the easiest mods to do, and many times it can be a reversible mod.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back