inexpensive portable headphones, non-IEM
Apr 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pizzicato_iv

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been reading the forums for some time but have not found a clear endorsement for my desired headphones.

I am looking at spending no more than $100, but less would of course be better for good quality.

My primary concerns are portability and versitility/ease of use: that is, I'd like the ability to have some isolation, but do not like the feeling of walking down the street and not being able to hear cars with IEMs. I would like some amount of control of the isolation. Also IEMs are very 'personalized', it's more difficult for someone to 'socially' listen to songs with someone else's phones. when i've tried to wear IEMs i've often felt unsafe and/or disoriented because of the isolation, plus, those I tried were uncomfortable.

With regard to circumaural or supra-aural headphones, it is a must that they are foldable/collapsible. Primarily these will be used on-the-go.

With regard to sound quality, this seems to be a very subjective idea on the forum, I would like "good" sound quality , but again not without sacrificing portability.

Right now I'm looking at the YUIN PK2s, and the K81DJs. With the PK2s I am concerned with just how much isolation they provide, can one set them correctly so that they are tighter than, say, ipod buds? With the K81DJ, how small are they folded? I dont have any reference point in the images i've seen online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 15
For under $100 - I'd put Sennheiser PX100 and bass-heavy AKG K81DJ on the short list of headphones to check out (tho the portability of the AKG's is debatable - some consider them very portable, some not).

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 15
If you are a fan of bass, look at the Koss PortaPro as well. They have a warm bass response and are very neutral elsewhere.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 15
x2 PortaPro, or go cheaper with KSC75's, they're really great, and A LOT of fun to mod with lots of options available - screens, quarter mods, Kramer mod, recables, all great fun stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 15
for under $100 you can get both ksc75 and yuin pk2...compare them and choose the one you like...

my ksc75 is highly modded and its a fun $25 can (modding them cost more than the original price)

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 15
well, PX100 is to my ears basically a slightly warm KSC35. That's a very very generalized statement. I haven't heard the Yuin, but other folks tend to call 'em grados in an earbud, which would suggest to me they are very very bright. Do with that what you will, but mind you none of those options have any isolation. If you're willing to go up to 100 bucks and don't care about isolation, I'd say go with SR-60s or 80. to be an absolutist if anything.

Really: Equation Audio RP-15mc. These things are shaping up more and more for me everyday SQ wise. I'm gonna do a big review soon I hope. They are a TAD unwieldy and clampy, but they have decent isolation and SQ.

If you want something that is closed, more portable and comfortable, consider the Audio Technica ATH-SJ5 which I also have and like, but not as much as the RP-15 at the moment. It has a less full sound. It's mostly bass and treble, but still good for the money.

I can understand your reticence to go with a couple of relative unknowns. Getting a KSC75 regardless is a good move IMO. It will help inure you to our audiophoolery, and we'll have another common yardstick. It is a great constant.

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 15
KSC75, PortaPro, PX100, MDR-V6, Yuin PK3, K81DJ, K24P

Apr 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

well, PX100 is to my ears basically a slightly warm KSC35.

I've not heard it put this way precisely, but this seems pretty accurate. I would add, howeverr, that the warmishness of the Senns is pretty much the way they'll always be, while the KSC75 has the flexibility to be modded more easily. They can be made to sound more accurate (Kramer mod) or more bassy (add a pad).

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 15
x2 for the Equation Audio RP-15.

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 15
95% of people here hate them, but the Bose OE (ON EARs) collapse into a flat plain about the size of a CD and 0.75" thick. Easy to stow/comfy to wear/isolating (esp. socially...d'oh!) / non-fatiguing though def "non-reference". I've seen used ones on ebay for less than 100, and new ones around 115 and up. They're much loathed here, but for me they've been great commuting phones (I can't wear IEMs/canalphones).

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 15
the koss ksc-75. it sounds darn good considering its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back