Inexpensive or very durable earbuds with inline remote?
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cut-copy-paste

New Head-Fier
I like listening to podcasts (and occasionally music) while on the move, commuting to work by bike, cleaning, shopping, etc.. For this I need need need an inline remote to be able to control playback easily.

The problem is that I go through headphones very quickly. I usually buy $20 type earbuds, but at least one of the ears starts shorting out sometimes even only after 3 weeks or so, usually a couple of months at most. I'm not really sure if this is normal, if I've had extremely bad luck, or if I should be treating my earphones like royalty. Does the cord getting tangled affect their lifespan a lot? I could maybe try and make sure that doesn't happen too much.. basically I don't want to keep having to fork over money for new buds every couple months. So I'm wondering about getting a more sturdy pair.. would there be theoretically a big difference in the longevity of a more expensive model, or is it going to be a better bet for me to just get 'em 12 at a time at the dollar store?

Sound quality isn't a huge issue, but ideally I'd be able to enjoy music if I decide I want to.

Apple's made a lot out of their new earpods.. and they sound like they've been designed with durability in mind, but I still feel weird buying those separately from a phone, mostly based on how crappy the original ones were.  Wirecutter recommends them as the best choice for earbuds with a remote.. so maybe that's what I should go for.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
You might want to get headphones with a good warranty. MeElectronics has a good policy as does Brainwavz.

Good point.. though also depends how good is good! I used KOSS KSC-75s for a long time and they have a 'lifetime' warranty.. but when they inevitably bust you have to package them up, and ship them back at your expense, with a cheque for the return shipping which can easily up being more work and almost as much money as buying new ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back