Inexpensive Custom IEM's?
Jul 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

bobby92

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy some custom IEM's, primarily for use on my motorcycle but I've also wanted to try them to see what I think before spending more money on a better pair. I've come across one website that has them pretty cheap with detachable cables, has anyone heard of or had experience this company? The only thing I'm seeing so far is a pretty long wait time (6-8 weeks), but I wouldn't mind waiting that long if it's a good product. 

[Mod Edit: Link removed. This company has been banned from Head-Fi, sorry.]

If you have other suggestions, that'd be great too. I wasn't sure if I was going to get the single or dual driver option yet. 

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 38
You might also investigate custom moulds for normally universal IEMs - I ride into work on a motorbike and have had some customs moulds done by a company called Snugs here in the UK - for some SoundMAGIC E10s! The good thing is, should there be any problem with the E10s I can replace them cheaply.

I have however reverted to silicone tips as the isolation with the custom moulds is a little too good on the bike, and my ears are awkward to get the custom jobs into.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 38
Inearcentral is the same as Inearcustom, just a new name. You might want to do a search and check out their reputation. I would recommend Inearz, again you could do a search and get a good idea on how they treat their customers.

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 38
I apologize for posting that link, my guess is their reputation isn't so great if they are banned from this forum.

I like the idea of getting generic IEMs and getting custom later if I decide to, the two that I have found have been the Shure SE215 and the RHA MA710. I like that both are over the ear so that should be easier with a helmet, I'm leaning towards the Shure as it's a bit cheaper and has detachable cables. From what I've read though, the RHA's have a better sound. For a point of reference, I have a pair of Klipsch S2's that I don't really like, and a pair of Grado SR60i's that I really do like. Essentially, I just don't want to spend more than what I paid for my Grado's and get something that sounds worse.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which one, or potentially another option I haven't found? Thanks!

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 38
  Inearcentral is the same as Inearcustom, just a new name. You might want to do a search and check out their reputation. I would recommend Inearz, again you could do a search and get a good idea on how they treat their customers.

Rob does a great job and provides great service... reshelled my TF10's beautifully and for cheap, though I suggest going to a $50 professional audiologist and not using the kit he provides (it's not easy to make impressions of your own ears, well good ones at leasts). Long waitlist though, 5-8 weeks.

Inearcentral/Inearcustom you can look up on ebay or their FB or website -- just buy either a used high-end IEM (maybe even with a broken cable if you're lucky, since the drivers will still work), or a cIEM to reshell. 

Here's an example:

Broken SE530 or W4 (if you can find one with a non-detachable cable fault, but the drivers are still good) -- $150 maybe?
Reshelling fee, tell Rob not to send the impression kit to save $15 -- $104
Audiologist Fee - $50-75
Cable -- $29 (or more if you want a better one)
Shipping -- idk, but not expensive.

Total = ~$350 +/-, everything included!! About the price of a new W4! AMAZING!!

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 38
That's a little bit out of my price range, I might do that later but for now I just need something that sounds as good or better than my entry level Grado's. I'm starting to think that customs might have too much isolation for my motorcycle, I tried my Klipsch earbuds and that was pushing it. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 38
That's a little bit out of my price range, I might do that later but for now I just need something that sounds as good or better than my entry level Grado's. I'm starting to think that customs might have too much isolation for my motorcycle, I tried my Klipsch earbuds and that was pushing it. 

With music on, you won't hear a thing. I've always found it to be a bit scary without sound in the middle of the road especially on a bike/motorcycle

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 38
Hey! Thought I would chime in if you have any questions I'll answer them :) 

We have a ton of motorcycle customers here (we are close to Daytona)
Typically they purchase the silicone for comfort and sound dampening, with a drop down cable so you don't have to worry about it going over the ear under a helmet.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 38
  Hey! Thought I would chime in if you have any questions I'll answer them :) 

We have a ton of motorcycle customers here (we are close to Daytona)
Typically they purchase the silicone for comfort and sound dampening, with a drop down cable so you don't have to worry about it going over the ear under a helmet.

Can't you purchase them with ambient vent holes so that you can kidna hear around you? 

Also, I think listening to earphones in certain states is illegal while driving (cars at least, idk about motorcycles)// 

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 38
I realize this thread is a little old to comment but thought I would warn folks off doing business with InEarCustom or InEarCentral (both names of the same company). Rob promises much but delivers little and not on time. I found him on eBay and seeing that he had only positive feedback I figured I'd be safe. Hardly the case, the reason he has no negative feedback is that by the time he finishes your CIEMs it's beyond the time allowed to post feedback.

In my case they advertised 6-8 weeks but as of now we're almost at 20 weeks. And to make matters worse, on May 15th they asked me to trust them yet again by sending my Shure SE425s in and they would be done in three days. They received my Shures on May 18th so they should have been finished and on their way back to me on the 21st. On the 27th I emailed again and was told a sob story about how I was pressuring them to put my order in front of others. I reminded them that I was going by their advertisements and the commitment of May 15th.

Today is June 1st and I still have nothing to show for my $273 and no idea if I'll ever see my Shures again. Based on my experiences with In Ear Central I couldn't, in good faith, recommend them as a source for custom made CIEMs.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 38
I realize this thread is a little old to comment but thought I would warn folks off doing business with InEarCustom or InEarCentral (both names of the same company). Rob promises much but delivers little and not on time. I found him on eBay and seeing that he had only positive feedback I figured I'd be safe. Hardly the case, the reason he has no negative feedback is that by the time he finishes your CIEMs it's beyond the time allowed to post feedback.

In my case they advertised 6-8 weeks but as of now we're almost at 20 weeks. And to make matters worse, on May 15th they asked me to trust them yet again by sending my Shure SE425s in and they would be done in three days. They received my Shures on May 18th so they should have been finished and on their way back to me on the 21st. On the 27th I emailed again and was told a sob story about how I was pressuring them to put my order in front of others. I reminded them that I was going by their advertisements and the commitment of May 15th.

Today is June 1st and I still have nothing to show for my $273 and no idea if I'll ever see my Shures again. Based on my experiences with In Ear Central I couldn't, in good faith, recommend them as a source for custom made CIEMs.
I'm having the same problem with them right now. I'm dealing with Jacob over at inearcentral and get a different excuse every time I ask for the status of my order. I ordered on January 28th and was told 4 to 6 weeks. Very poor service IMO.

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 38
I'm having the same problem with them right now. I'm dealing with Jacob over at inearcentral and get a different excuse every time I ask for the status of my order. I ordered on January 28th and was told 4 to 6 weeks. Very poor service IMO.

Sounds all too familiar. I filed a mail fraud charge against them and would recommend you do the same. If they mailed you the impression kit via the postal service, if you sent it back through the postal service or sent your IEMs to them through the post office then they've used the mail to defraud you. It is considered mail fraud and the more of us who files complaints the more serious the USPS will take it. When I ordered them a very nice lady named Barb was my contact but she seems to be gone now. I can only guess that she'd had enough of In Ear Central's dishonesty. Good luck and I hope you will file those charges.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 38

Sounds all too familiar. I filed a mail fraud charge against them and would recommend you do the same. If they mailed you the impression kit via the postal service, if you sent it back through the postal service or sent your IEMs to them through the post office then they've used the mail to defraud you. It is considered mail fraud and the more of us who files complaints the more serious the USPS will take it. When I ordered them a very nice lady named Barb was my contact but she seems to be gone now. I can only guess that she'd had enough of In Ear Central's dishonesty. Good luck and I hope you will file those charges.

I'm pretty much part of the same story, ordered Feb. 10th and they're only almost done now. I'll give it 2 weeks and see if they're any good. Funny how all of us are having similar thoughts on the same day @raybone0566 

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 38
I'm at the point that I might create a Facebook page about these folks. Thinking I might ask for more stories like ours and possibly provide a link to file mail fraud charges. I'll be asking if folks want to enjoin a class action lawsuit over this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back