Industrial Piercing. Bigger Cans Needed.
Jan 9, 2019 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eyedoteye

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I recently got an industrial piercing and can no longer wear my DT770s. My ears are already large so I'm looking for especially large cans so I can continue producing music. I did some rough measurements and I think cans with padding that have at minimum 8.3x11cm ear holes should be safe. In the worst case I'm willing to use an IEM, but I don't forsee me taking out the piercing because it makes me feel whole right now. My budget for cans with DT770 comparable sound is $350, and $250 for IEMs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 4
I recently got an industrial piercing and can no longer wear my DT770s. My ears are already large so I'm looking for especially large cans so I can continue producing music. I did some rough measurements and I think cans with padding that have at minimum 8.3x11cm ear holes should be safe.

Not even the HD800 and HD700 have earholes that size. Your only choice here is to buy used - look for the AKG K1000 (preferably with the SAC1000 headphone amp to drive it properly, or buy any other amp...some speaker amps will work fine but hook up the headphones to the speaker outputs) or the Jecklin Float. The latter has relatively shallow earpads though so the AKG K1000 is your best bet here.

But...

In the worst case I'm willing to use an IEM, but I don't forsee me taking out the piercing because it makes me feel whole right now. My budget for cans with DT770 comparable sound is $350, and $250 for IEMs.

...looks like your best bet is actually the IEMs because even if you find a K1000 or a Float, no way you can get them for $350, plus you need an amplifier. I don't think an audio interface can drive these when most of those can't drive the K7xx series without any issues (at best you have a powerful console with a 10ohm output impedance).

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Okay, in that case, I'm willing to up my IEM budget to $350 in order to get anything on par with what the DT770s are like. Do you have any reccomendations?

The old Fender FXA2 or its original Aurisonics version if you can still find either. Other than those look up the reviews on the current production Fender line and see if there's one there that kinda comes close to the DT770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back