Indonesian portable DAP prototype discussion (split from Tera Player thread)
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 391
hi musicday,

its begin when our local audio community talk about the tera player in the forum and praise so much about sq. the builder which is new to the audio hobby asking about the tera and one or several of the member talking not in the a good way about how it would be difficult to create such of it. mostly on the chip arm program om assembly multibit dac chip etc.

The builder which is the software enginer and electronic antusiast being challenged and want to proved that you dont have to break your leg creating such kind of player.

eventhough using only data sheet from its part he build the dap. indeed the dev still need the refinement om the analog section after the hearing test, and the revision all ready take om placed at the final board which will be final next week.

since most of the tester like the sound of the player using es9023, builder give me an option to me to leave the dac section and analog section unfilled by part so o can customized to my own dac chip the multibit tda1387 and my own transistor buffer

The pages are all now gone and deleted, however the Tera was initially a DIY project and the code and schematics were posted on the net. That all changed when someone figured out how much money could be extracted from audiophiles.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 391
Hi hutnicks,

What page is your talking about?
I didn't know if there is such a page with code and schematic related to tera. but searchin on the net there alot of info how to create a digital music player.

as explain above, we are not try to clone or mimicing any player, that is why the builder rewrite the code to C, and we only use 1 clock, and try to use the sabre es9023 for the dac chip.

whole idea of such dap is already raise, long  even before tera created.

apologize, if i wrong catch your impresion..

many thanks

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #21 of 391
I don't think it will be simple at all to build something close as good as Tera. It's not a matter of just putting hardware components together and writting some C code. That's relativley easy and has been done many times before and after Tera.
What is unique is all the tuning Charles did over long period of time before he was happy with it. I remember reading his posts (closed threads) where he talked about spending couple of years and experimenting with chips until he found what he was looking for (including why the 16 bit ended up being his choice - because it sounded better to him - so it was never about picking up thereticaly best/lates components but more about his prefences for tuning). He apparently has a great ear (clearly when you hear Tera) but also he is an accomplished sound engineer (phd) so presumably has all the background necessary to do this type of projects really well. And then there are more stories how he tuned Tera specifically for Koss Porta phones (and why they are the best and everythign else sucks
wink_face.gif
), and also why minimalistic features included WAV only were chosen, etc.
While I'm looking forward to see others try to create something like Tera and make it more affordable, I"m not holding my breath waiting for it either - the threshold has been set very high.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #22 of 391
hi tgdinamo,

thanks for your opinion. again i have to repeat, this player is not about to clone the tera. the way its programed is different, you can see on our board that we use 1 only clock. its already recode to c from assembly. eventhough we develop the board using phillips nos multibit dac chip and can procces until 192 khz doesnt meant anything to get closed to tera. we are different. i dont want to know what charles did to tera, that why at the begining i said. if only to get a simple dap decode using assembly or c on arm chip and using multibit dac chip to process to 192khz sampling data. you dont need to brake your leg. since we can make it, and i believe a lot of people out there can do better as well.. right?

the one we wont do is to give an expensive price tag on it.

pardon me to be honest, i apreciate charles as a diyer as well. kudos to him

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #28 of 391
Hi,

This the new update, the final board already coming.

we hope the will complete this week.

oya, teri meaning small fish in the sea..or the analogy for something tiny compare to other..its represent our effort that we are only a tiny on dap player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back