Indie movie recommendations
Jul 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Hey all, I've been out of the movie loop for a while, let my Netflix go on hold and I just haven't kept up. I rarely keep track of the one nighter indie stuff that comes through the local small theatres, so I don't know what's even out there right now. Anything really good lately in the foreign or underground markets? I'm very open to the type or subject of the film. I've got a couple of the big guns on hold like Pan's Labyrinth, since I still haven't caught that.

Thanks for your help.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Among other things, I like Iranian films. The first, if I recall rightly, was "Bag of Rice" and then I saw "Children of Heaven". I enjoyed them both, and more recently watched "Baran" which had a lot more pathos. I cried at the end.

My fave indie/short film is "Roadkill" which can be seen online at Atom Films. It is wickedly funny.

Laz

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 24
Some of my favorites are:

Turtles Can Fly (Iraqi)
Nobody Knows (Japanese)
Kikujiro (Japanese)
Red Violin (Multiple language)
Nothing (Canadian)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (USA)
Zoo (Japanese)
My Sassy Girl (Korean)
Linda Linda Linda (Japanese)
Attack the Gas Station (Korean)
Ikiru (Japanese)
Together (Chinese)

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 24
x2 on my sassy girl (korean one)
smily_headphones1.gif

actually I haven't finished it yet, just watched part one last night but so far it is excellent.

EDIT

to name a few more films to look into:

A bittersweet life
A tale of two sisters
Brick
Crying Fist
Failen
Friend
Last life in the universe
Life is beautiful
Joint security area
Memories of murder
once upon a time in high school/america/mexico/china
tongue.gif

save the green planet
spring, summer, fall, winter. . . and spring
strokes of fire
taegukgi (if you don't cry, you are not human
tongue.gif
)

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 24
Morvern Callar & In America (A+) Samantha Morton is awesome in these movies.
In the Mood for Love and the follow up 2046

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 24
Oh man, Last Life in the Universe, I LOVED that movie, can't believe I forgot that one... A Tale of Two Sisters is beautifully shot too, one that transcends the horror genre.

I'll add two great Zwigoff flicks:
Ghost World
Art School Confidential
Also, American Splendor is great too

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 24
I'll add two great Zwigoff flicks:
Ghost World
Art School Confidential
Also, American Splendor is great too[/QUOTE]

x2 liked those as well.

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 24
OMG! go see My Sassy Girl right now.

You wont regret it.

Jul 8, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Shortbus recently. Excellent movie, but I'd advise you read up on it prior to committing. Not everyone's cup of tea I imagine.

Is that the one where the big controversy was a "real" sex scene? I'd read about that when it came through on the local gay & lesbian film festival. I'll look into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bittersweet life
A tale of two sisters
Brick
Crying Fist
Failen
Friend
Last life in the universe
Life is beautiful
Joint security area
Memories of murder
once upon a time in high school/america/mexico/china
tongue.gif

save the green planet
spring, summer, fall, winter. . . and spring
strokes of fire
taegukgi (if you don't cry, you are not human
tongue.gif
)

Tae Guk Gi is indeed amazing, need to see it again soon. I was mainly looking for stuff from the last 6 months or so, since that's how long I've been out of the loop, but I'll look into the ones listed in the thread that I haven't yet seen. It used to be that I'd look over every DVD release on Blockbuster or Netflix and watch anything interesting, but I burned out. I feel completely confused now looking through that many new releases.

Some of the other stuff I've really loved were of course the South American bunch of films like City of God, Amores Perros or really anything with Gael Garcia Bernal (reminds me, I never did see Science of Sleep, it's on the queue now).

Big recommendation back at you guys for "Killing Words" from Spain. Also Oldboy, yeah I like them strange.
eek.gif

I rewatched No Man's Land from a Divx rip I did way back when, that's a good one, reminded me of MASH with the lighthearted agony of it all.

My Sassy Girl isn't available on Netflix (I even searched for its original name, Yeopgijeogin geunyeo :p )

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 24
JUST watched "Zeitgeist" - wow! I am jarred by the religion plus 9/11 sections of the movie - it seems some dots were not connected. The ending was spot on, however.

As I have said myself, in the introduction to one of my short stories:

"...the distorted way that dreams reflect our waking lives. We accept these distortions when we are in the dream, because we exist there under the Law of the Dream. When we awaken, we say, "Oh, it was just a dream" and we get on with our lives, under the Law of Waking." In time, we will wake up from that, too. Our lives at best are akin to lucid dreams.

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back