Indecisive buyers dilemma.
Apr 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Montanha

New Head-Fier
I'm a total and complete noob.
I wanted to update my audio setup, but the More I look for reviews the more confused I get.
Below I'll list down what I've found within my budget and what's available for me to buy. And I'll also give you my use case and hopefully you can help me make a decision.

Headphones: it is either between:
1 SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES
2 HIFIMAN HE4XX PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONES ( in leaning more towards this one)

I already have a pc speakers that I don't usually use that's often ( creative T6 or something) so the dac/amp with a preamp out is fine.

For the dac/amp here are my options :
1: Soundblaster X G6 (150 euros, easy setup, scout mode seems like it's gonna be useful for some games)
2: Fiio K3 (100 euros, the cheapest of the bunch)
3: Topping D30 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier A30 Suit Set (200 euros, the most expensive, probably the more flexible setup out of the bunch but I don't know if it's worth it at this current stage)

I mostly game on my pc, but I also watch some movies and videos. I do prefer a warmer sound sig. As I find highly Detailed highs kinda fatiguing.

I world really appreciate if anyone who had tried some of the above to share their experiences.
Thank you in advance

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to the threads! I'm not too much farther along in my own audiophile journey, but I'll see if I can help ya out.

Both those headphones you've listed are great (from what I've read). I've got the HD6XX from Sennheiser x Drop and I love it for music listening. I think they would do equally well for gaming. The HD58X has a little bit more kick in the bass and are easier to drive, making them ideal choice for gaming (if you we're choosing between the HD58X and HD6XX).

The Hifiman HE4XX headphones are some sweet looking headphones. I almost bought them myself. The HE4XX are a planar magnetic driver so its in an entirely different class than the HD58X. Since they are a planar magnetic, you'll want a pretty decent power supply (the more you can give those cans, the better). I have heard that the HD58X are going to be more comfortable though, but I'd imagine that's all personal preference shape of the head. Basically... I say, if you want HE4XX, get those!

As far as the DAC/amp goes... I've become a bit of a fan of the FiiO brand for the performance of a lot of their products and the K3 seems to have really good reviews (again, I was looking at getting that myself). I got the BTR5 for its versatility, but I don't know if it would supply the power you want for the HE4XX (maybe someone that has both could chime in on that). Another DAC/amp by Topping is the A50 - it looks great, but it doesn't appear to be a super popular option. Here's a thread about on this website: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a50-desktop-headphone-amp.923476/. That's probably not a ton of help. As far as the DAC/amp goes (I'm finding) you're better off spending a little bit more because it'll make or break whatever headphones you get.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 21
As far as the DAC/amp goes... I've become a bit of a fan of the FiiO brand for the performance of a lot of their products and the K3 seems to have really good reviews (again, I was looking at getting that myself). I got the BTR5 for its versatility, but I don't know if it would supply the power you want for the HE4XX (maybe someone that has both could chime in on that). Another DAC/amp by Topping is the A50 - it looks great, but it doesn't appear to be a super popular option. Here's a thread about on this website: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a50-desktop-headphone-amp.923476/. That's probably not a ton of help. As far as the DAC/amp goes (I'm finding) you're better off spending a little bit more because it'll make or break whatever headphones you get.

Thank you Pjones5, I kinda came to the same conclusion, and I realize it is a hard thing to judge or ask an opinion for since it is very subjective, I do appreciate your input though.
there are few reasons why I'm interested in the SoundBlaster g6, one for some of the" gaming mode" which to be honest will most likely be turned off once the novelty wears off ( unless it is somehow really useful) second, based on some the reviews I've seen online, theoretically, it is capable of powering 600 ohms cans, and the he4xx is 35 ohms, but it seems due to its lower sensitivity(93dBs) it might be harder than the average35 ohms.

and finally, from lots of websites and reviews, it seems that USB input is usually a hassle, and installing drivers on windows is also a pain (like from Toppings, Schiit and Fiio), so using a card from a company that has been developing drivers and software suits for a long time can help with the troubleshooting in case something goes wrong.

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 21
I'm a total and complete noob.
I wanted to update my audio setup, but the More I look for reviews the more confused I get.
Below I'll list down what I've found within my budget and what's available for me to buy. And I'll also give you my use case and hopefully you can help me make a decision.

Headphones: it is either between:
1 SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES
2 HIFIMAN HE4XX PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONES ( in leaning more towards this one)

I already have a pc speakers that I don't usually use that's often ( creative T6 or something) so the dac/amp with a preamp out is fine.

For the dac/amp here are my options :
1: Soundblaster X G6 (150 euros, easy setup, scout mode seems like it's gonna be useful for some games)
2: Fiio K3 (100 euros, the cheapest of the bunch)
3: Topping D30 DSD USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier A30 Suit Set (200 euros, the most expensive, probably the more flexible setup out of the bunch but I don't know if it's worth it at this current stage)

I mostly game on my pc, but I also watch some movies and videos. I do prefer a warmer sound sig. As I find highly Detailed highs kinda fatiguing.

I world really appreciate if anyone who had tried some of the above to share their experiences.
Thank you in advance
Possible to concentrate your budget on one item at a time?

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 21
Start 100% with headphones first. A good headphone driven out of an ordinary amp/DAC will sound better than a normal headphone driven out of a good amp/DAC.

In terms of priority, it should be:

Headphone -> amp -> DAC.

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 21
Start 100% with headphones first. A good headphone driven out of an ordinary amp/DAC will sound better than a normal headphone driven out of a good amp/DAC.

In terms of priority, it should be:

Headphone -> amp -> DAC.
I appreciate the tip, I'll get the headphones first then, side benefit they are both available now on Massdrop so i should get them before they go out of stock

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 21
Just because you mostly game, doesn't mean you'll have to get a "gaming" DAC/amp. I mostly game too on my PC and so far got headphones that are meant to be audiophile and yet I cannot switch to my other headphones anymore. Games and movies/netflix are the most used and Amirons are very amazing at that. They sound warmer and the highs are not fatigueing at all. Unfortunately they are not really cheap.

As dazzerfong said: the headphones are the first that makes a very huge difference. My amp is an ordinary Fiio E10K Olympus and it's fine enough.

The dac/amps you mentioned are way overboard and unnecessary, especially for your requirements.
And the headphones you mentioned, I might add the Sony MDR-1AM2. Owners in it's topic have said it has a warmer sound. I cannot tell much about it but you might check out the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-1am2-impressions-thread.869385/

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 21
Just because you mostly game, doesn't mean you'll have to get a "gaming" DAC/amp. I mostly game too on my PC and so far got headphones that are meant to be audiophile and yet I cannot switch to my other headphones anymore. Games and movies/netflix are the most used and Amirons are very amazing at that. They sound warmer and the highs are not fatigueing at all. Unfortunately they are not really cheap.

As dazzerfong said: the headphones are the first that makes a very huge difference. My amp is an ordinary Fiio E10K Olympus and it's fine enough.

The dac/amps you mentioned are way overboard and unnecessary, especially for your requirements.
And the headphones you mentioned, I might add the Sony MDR-1AM2. Owners in it's topic have said it has a warmer sound. I cannot tell much about it but you might check out the thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-1am2-impressions-thread.869385/
Thank you for the suggestion, the Sony MDR-1AM2 will cost 230 euros, so it's a bit on the pricy side for me.
I got an email from drop with 20 usd coupon, so that sealed the deal for me, I ordered the Hifiman 4xx.

And I agree with you on the matter of "gamer" dac/Amp, that's why I was considering the other options, they might be an overkill for me now but in the future if I want to get some nicer cans or whatever I don't want to upgrade everything with it.

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 21
Thank you for the suggestion, the Sony MDR-1AM2 will cost 230 euros, so it's a bit on the pricy side for me.
I got an email from drop with 20 usd coupon, so that sealed the deal for me, I ordered the Hifiman 4xx.

And I agree with you on the matter of "gamer" dac/Amp, that's why I was considering the other options, they might be an overkill for me now but in the future if I want to get some nicer cans or whatever I don't want to upgrade everything with it.
Ah I see, then the prices of the MDR-1AM2 differs from countries.

They might not be overkill, in fact, they might be unnecessary. With that money you planned on one, you can add that for the headphone. For the normal use like gaming and movies and simple things, there is no reason to get a +100 euros for a dac/amp ^^ But that's subjective of course.

Enjoy your Hifiman 4xx!

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 21
Hello daily gamer here. One thing you need to consider is what type of mic you are using. If you are using a "gaming" headset or a mic with a 3.5 termination then you are going to need one of three options to prevent a ground loop. The mayfolwer arc, the burson play, or the shiit hel. If you are using something like a blue yeti then I would stay away from "gaming" dac/amps.

I see as I am typing that you pulled the trigger on the HE4xx. Great choice. I had them and sold them a few months back and miss them even though I have cans that are much "better" than them now. They have a unique sound signature that is just a pleasure to listen to for hours and hours. Enjoy.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 21
Hello daily gamer here. One thing you need to consider is what type of mic you are using. If you are using a "gaming" headset or a mic with a 3.5 termination then you are going to need one of three options to prevent a ground loop. The mayfolwer arc, the burson play, or the shiit hel. If you are using something like a blue yeti then I would stay away from "gaming" dac/amps.

I see as I am typing that you pulled the trigger on the HE4xx. Great choice. I had them and sold them a few months back and miss them even though I have cans that are much "better" than them now. They have a unique sound signature that is just a pleasure to listen to for hours and hours. Enjoy.

Thanks friend, I'm looking forward to try them out.
I do currently have hyperX cloud 2, the one that connects with the USB dongle, I think I shouldn't have a problem with it as only a mic input only.

Not that I play lots of multiplayer games online alot, so If this doesn't work, I can survive without a mic until I get one.

So what now I guess I'll just need to look for an amp to get for the next purchase, and from what I've read and seen. It seems like any one of the 99 $ range will perform well enough for the foreseeable future. Any thoughts?

Apr 18, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks friend, I'm looking forward to try them out.
I do currently have hyperX cloud 2, the one that connects with the USB dongle, I think I shouldn't have a problem with it as only a mic input only.

Not that I play lots of multiplayer games online alot, so If this doesn't work, I can survive without a mic until I get one.

So what now I guess I'll just need to look for an amp to get for the next purchase, and from what I've read and seen. It seems like any one of the 99 $ range will perform well enough for the foreseeable future. Any thoughts?

My first set of "gaming" headphones .... actually those are gaming headphones so ignore the " were the Hyper x cloud 2 and loved them until they died and I discovered this horrible website. You are right that the clouds will not be effected by the amp since you are connecting USB.

I am not sure that a sub $100 dac/amp will perform well enough for the foreseeable future. You may have to double that with a shiiit stack or something of the kind but you are on the right track. As you might have gathered this is going to be an on going "obsession" so I only suggest that you don't just buy what you can afford right now but save up and get something you will grow into. The HE4xx will scale well with better equipment so trying to drive them with what you can afford now might not be the best route.

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 21
I don't know if you have made up your mind yet but I would recommend a HD58X with a iFi Zen or Hip DAC. I own those amongst other things and they pair very well together. Bassheads will LOVE that xbass button! HD58X are very comfortable for long sessions. I have not heard the HE4XX myself but I read they are great too, no wrong choices here.

Forgot to say, I am gamer too and made the switch to a standalone USB microphone so I could choose the headphone and amp I wanted and get 1 cable out of the way.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #15 of 21
My take is:

1 SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES (better build)
2 HIFIMAN HE4XX PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONES (better sound)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back