Incredible amp ! New little dot TPA [Pics]
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like the balanced amp they are making, but that clearly is a SE jack.

cool pics though.

Dual mono, I believe.

Or balanced is on the back.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #19 of 43
My first thought was, "When's Penchum getting one?"
biggrin.gif

It's gorgeous, isn't it?

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #20 of 43
It certainly looks nice!
Would be even sweeter with XLR outputs for "balanced" 'phones though.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by F155mph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$950 isn't a bad price, but I assume with tax, tariff, and shipping it will more likely be $1500

That would be a clear no go for me. 1000 $ is ok if it sounds on par with the likes of Woo2, Extreme, DV337; allright 100-200$ more on shipping. But 1500 is just too much for a supposedly high-value producer whose warranty policy, feedback and generally commitement to quality services is still 'unclear'.

Ah and what's more important: is it OTL ?
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a clear no go for me. 1000 $ is ok if it sounds on par with the likes of Woo2, Extreme, DV337; allright 100-200$ more on shipping. But 1500 is just too much for a supposedly high-value producer whose warranty policy, feedback and generally commitement to quality services is still 'unclear'.

Ah and what's more important: is it OTL ?
tongue.gif

From the pic there appears to be two output transformers.

Four 6c33's = 26.4 amps of heater current = very high temps in a chassis that small.
eek.gif

I dont understand the three tubes upfront. One per channel could be the input stage and the other four could be drivers for each 6c33 .... just a guess.

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #24 of 43
If those are output transformers and not the power supplies (dual mono ?) than it's bad news. I don't really trust a 'value oriented' producer (well maybe not anymore ?) with an extra-high-quality transformer(s). I guess they could be changed afterwards but it's complicated and the costs mount too high already.
I'm also curious about the input tubes and if it's a complicated scheme whether it sounds right or they complicated it too much
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly looks like 6SN7 driver tubes and 6C33C-B power triodes.

6SL7 input, 6SN7 drivers, 6C33 output. 6SL7s as a common cathode gain stage, 6SN7s as cathode followers of some sort, and 6C33s running in either grounded cathode with local NFB or as cathode followers, assuming an OTL configuration. Nothing to write home about, though it may make for a good base if you want to gut the amp and completely rebuild it. Given the price it's selling for I wouldn't expect any quality parts inside.

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like the balanced amp they are making, but that clearly is a SE jack.

cool pics though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual mono, I believe.

Or balanced is on the back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It certainly looks nice!
Would be even sweeter with XLR outputs for "balanced" 'phones though.

It is a balanced amp, XLR are at the back...erm..let see if i can find the pics of the back of the amp..will post it up when i find one.

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6SL7 input, 6SN7 drivers, 6C33 output. 6SL7s as a common cathode gain stage, 6SN7s as cathode followers of some sort, and 6C33s running in either grounded cathode with local NFB or as cathode followers, assuming an OTL configuration. Nothing to write home about, though it may make for a good base if you want to gut the amp and completely rebuild it. Given the price it's selling for I wouldn't expect any quality parts inside.

always the optimist.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back