Increasing Budget to $150....
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

volntitan

100+ Head-Fier
OK...as some may know, I got some Custom 2's and was dissappointed in them because of wire and fit, but also want a little more bass and soundstage, but mostly it is the wire thing.

So....I was going to go for the Monster Turbines for $105 from Mac Mall. But if I increased my budget to say, $150, does that take me up a significant step? I still want isolation, tight bass and seperation, but something I don't have to fight to get the exact fit.

Any ideas and suggestions?

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 40
One vote for sticking with your plan and getting the Turbines. Spring for an extra $8.99 and get the Sony Silicone tips.

As each day passes, I am even more happier with my decision to get the Turbines. Also, I hated them the first day. As pretty much every owner will tell you, they need to be broken in. I think the next step for me will be customs, but I am extremely happy with the Turbines and they have me searching for new music to listen to daily and stuff I would never even have thought of before. I'm finally making use of my Napster-To-Go subscription.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 40
I was looking at those as well, although the cx6 is more than $150 (atleast on Amazon). What is the sound sign. compared to the Custom 2's I am returning? Wonder if they would be a step up from the Turbines.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 40
I would say that is nearly within reach of a pair of IE7s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 40
comparing by brands(of the price range)
shure: se310
UE: SF5P
sennheiser: cx6/ie6
phonak: pfe
westone: um1
monster: turbine
klipsch: custom2
etymotic: hf5/er4p
FOTM: apple iem

what have i missed? just to stir some more confusion :p

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 40
I think you might find some of the phones mentioned (CX95, Sennheiser IE7) are either not available in the US or are over your budget by quite a bit. While I think they may be better products potentially than the Turbines I know for me the Turbines really are a serious jump up in quality from anything I have owned. Due to my wife's insistance I am selling off my "collection" of phones I've amassed since Christmas to help pay for the Turbines. But I can honestly say I don't feel any regret in getting rid of the other phones, the Turbines are able to do everything the other phones are best at, giving me one IEM that can do everything. I hate sounding like a fanboy but I guess I am. I do believe you will be quite happy with the Turbines.

The biggest problem this forum has for ME is the thought of, "what if I just get X product" because of all the reviews and discussions, or gee I wish I could try product X it sounds cool, etc. This is part of why I ended up looking for something other than my NE-7M's. Having said that I also can say that I have had an evolutionary process of revelation by trying all of these products with each new product being ALMOST what I wanted but never quite all the way there. I don't feel that way about the Turbines, they do everything I want in a set phones. Are there ones that are better, absolutely but then again there are better home theater systems than what I own right now too, yet I don't feel any big urge to upgrade that system because it does everything I want right now. I'm sure that as I hang out on this board I will have an urge to upgrade again at some point, but if I do an upgrade again it will be to a top level universal IEM that I will be picking up used as I don't think I can ever justify to myself (short of winning a lottery) spending more than the Turbines on a set of IEM's. I just want a pair that does everything well enough that I can simply plug them in, sit back, and enjoy my music.

Today I noticed certain parts of the Wall that I didn't even know existed on the album
smily_headphones1.gif
. That was what I was hoping I would get from these phones and they have delivered.

OK thats it for fanboy speeches. I am now stepping down from my soapbox.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 40
Thanks Dweaver. I will probably end up with the Turbines, but I don't want to limit my choices if I can go up in price. The CX95 I can't find. The IE7 are over $200 and would really have to see there is a SIGNIFICANT difference to justify that. The Phonaks do intrique me alot, but of course can't hear them locally...

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by volntitan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Dweaver. I will probably end up with the Turbines, but I don't want to limit my choices if I can go up in price. The CX95 I can't find. The IE7 are over $200 and would really have to see there is a SIGNIFICANT difference to justify that. The Phonaks do intrique me alot, but of course can't hear them locally...

LOL the trial and tribulations of the search for the Holy Grail...
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 40
LOL like I said this is what happens when someone has to much time on their hands
o2smile.gif
. To be honest, I am an IT consultant in the real world and I love to consult. So when I am in a down mode (i.e. layed off or in between contracts) this type of thing allows me to still consult but I get to do it on something different from Information Technology. It makes me feel useful and it keeps me sane...

But to answer your actual question, 5-6 hours a night usually...
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 40
Some others I have found....

Phonak
Ultimate Ears Super Fi (various versions)
Sleek Audio SA6
Shure SE210 or 310
Etymotic (various around the $150 range)
Sennheiser IE 6 (if can find cheap enough)
Monster Turbines

Of course some of these are out of my range, but searching, might be able to find them close enough.

Opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back