Increase E2C soft flex sleeve isolation
May 16, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffpants24
What kind of glue are you guys using to glue the foams inside?

I still don't want to glue the foamies in permanently. With me, the foam only needs to be "reset" every 3 or 4 uses. So it's not a big hassle.

Right now, I'm looking for some really small rubber bands as a test to try and hold the foamies in place.

PM1K

May 16, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #32 of 42
This mod shows up periodically on these boards, I thought i came up with it last year, but Joelongwood (?
tongue.gif
) trumped that supposition with his dusty post.
One tip for de-tubing the foamy is to run a needle down the outside of the tube repeatedly from both sides, then the tube pulls out easily with tweezers. Also, any of the various foamies made for the er-4's or the e-5's are interchangeable, so you can mix and match to get the best fit with asymetrical ear canals.

May 16, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #33 of 42
I did the mod, med ultra soft and sm foamie, it's a good combo for me and isolation is very important for my use - so thanks to whomever invented it.

I'm wondering why people are having any issue with keeping the foamie in place? The flex tip keeps it in place on one end and the ear piece at the base of the stem keeps it in place at the other. I trimmed 1/8" or so off the foamie so that it fits completely inside the flex tip when it's in place.

May 17, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #35 of 42
Sorry to bump an old thread but I only stumbled upon this late last night and, in a state of half-asleepness where anything seems like a good idea, I thought I'd try it out. Searched for a knife and got hold of the foamies and went to it.

Well - this works wonders. The seal in my ears is much tighter and the bass does seem a bit more bloated, but then I never felt that was that much bass to begin with (some, but not a lot) and the extra bass I hear sounds good to me (not great - but then again these aren't the best of IEMs and I only want them when isolation is needed) I think this adds to the isolation.

I think that, at long time scales, this will be more fatiguing due to the extra pressure put on my ears but it still felt & sounded good enough that I ended up listening to them for about an hour last night when I was all set for just collapsing into bed.

So to anyone whose got E2c or any other IEM this might be something to try if you've never tried it before.

May 17, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #36 of 42
Thanks for bumping. I just tried it with my CX300s and it seems to help. I used standard ear protection foamies, cut them to the correct length and punched a hole in the middle. I then slipped them over the inner sleeve shaft and installed the assembly. I had normally used the medium sleeves because the large ones collapsed. Now the large ones don't collapse and seal slightly better than the medium ones.

May 17, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #39 of 42
The isolation here won't be dramatically better. If the black soft rubbers still don't fit perfectly then there will still be small gaps for sound to get through, unlike the foam which expands to fit your ear canal. With the rubber in front, which is a bad conductor of heat, it will just make it seem more comfortable.

May 17, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
The isolation here won't be dramatically better. If the black soft rubbers still don't fit perfectly then there will still be small gaps for sound to get through, unlike the foam which expands to fit your ear canal. With the rubber in front, which is a bad conductor of heat, it will just make it seem more comfortable.

If you are talking to me, then i ask is this a good way to extend the life span of each foamy?

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #42 of 42
I tried this with some cheap silicone tips, and comply tips. 
But it didn't work at all. The silicone tip was stuffed with comply, but no added isolation.

Does it only work with normal foam, or is does this problem lie with the cheap silicone tips? The rubber is kinda thin and they are slightly bigger than the nozzle of the iem.
I stuffed the room between the nozzle and the stem of the tip with some double sided tape, but no change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back