Increase CD library before upgrade?
Feb 26, 2004 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

uosux

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been thrust into the realm of hi-fi, and although money is tight, was looking forward to upgrades. However, I have less CD's than I would like. Is it wiser to pay out first for a good system, than gather more and more CD's? Or should I compose a suitible library first so that I can enjoy my system to the fullest immediately? Its essentially a question of money priority; I couldn't afford to bulk up on CD's while attempting to upgrade.

Feb 26, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 15
Buy the gear, then join Columbia House and/or BMG. That's the way I'm going to go. This way you get a pretty good deal on cd's and will be getting more for your money, and you don't have to pay all at once either.

Feb 26, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 15
The gear will likely make you both appreciate some music, and detest some bad mixing/producing, more, but in the end it's about the music. Then again some gear matches with some music better. I say get some great music. The masterpiece thread had some great suggestions.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 15
How can you tell if your upgraded set ups work for your future collection of music?
Until you know you definitely need upgrade, get more music.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 15
Why did you get into Hi-Fi? Because you love the gear or the music? I own over 2000 CDs and 300+ albums comprised of every type of music. Before I found Head-Fi (or anything related to audio gear) I still enjoyed my collection (around 500 CDs at that point). In fact, my love for music drove me here and in return this hobby has led me to other musical paths. If my equipment were to vanish today would I enjoy my beloved music any less - of course not. The gear simply enables one to obtain more joy out of the music one loves - the sound itself resides in our hearts and in our minds. No...you can't have my Corda!
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by uosux
Does Columbia House have a good selection of CDs? Also, what is the average pricing?

IT depends on your tastes, CH and BMG both have an average selection of music generally comprised of popular music you'd hear on the radio and they usually get new CDs about a month after they are released. BMG only makes you buy one wheras Columbia House makes you buy 4 or 5, but the selection is a little better. Average price is about $7 a CD. CH also has a nice DVD club.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 15
Would you recogmend subscribing to CH, BMG, both, or none? Just to check, I won't get screwed on hidden fees for anything right?

I think I will bulk up my music collection for a while, than upgrade in the future. It'll help me appreciate the change even more.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 15
How easy are these to get out of? I've heard way too many stories (particularly with Columbia House) of ppl who had to move to a foriegn country, change name, change SSN, have plastic surgery done to escape them, and that columbia sent their names to a bill collector despite the fact that they'd paid in full

Feb 26, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 15
I've done the dvd and I just completed my obligations and I cancelled and I will rejoin again pretty soon. I've not had any problems with them so far.

Feb 26, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 15
$2.79/ea

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #14 of 15
all i know is that i've been listening to the same album (Liars: They were wrong so we drowned) over and over and over again for the last two days on car stereos, crappy boomboxes, ipods, my nice stereo at home, anything available basically. its music all the way. the equipment just gets in the way to a greater or lesser extent.

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #15 of 15
exactly how would you upgrade?

since you are a student you can swap CDs or borrow CDs from your friends; you can go to swap meets, used CDs stores, and the library.

since you mainly listen to electronica I suggest that you only buy the music that you have actually heard at the time (like Speakerboxx, etc) and not buy music without auditioning it. (Don't you hate it when the DJ does't say what he is playing?)

visit the music section at Head-Fi and start a list of the best music out there. just remember that re-masters are coming out all the time. always carry the list in your wallet (for when you are in a store).

why buy a Redbook CD when you may like SACD or DVD-A more? then you'll end up with two copies.

me, I try to only buy 1 CD and DVD movie a week. and I always look at the Circuit City, Best Buy, Fry's, KMart and Target sales Sunday circulars to see what's on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back